Airfix re-released F-86F Sabre

Robert

Can anyone tell me if the re-released kit has any retooled parts i.e. undercarriage or is it just the same as before with new decals.

Thanks

Robert

Although I must admit that I have not seen this new(-ish) kit, I believe it's just the original kit moulding with new decals.

Therefore it comes with wing fences too far aft, a dodgy rear canopy (frame line) and those very crappy wheels.

I've got the original RAF F.4 version and am planning to kit-bash it with some detailed parts from a left-over Academy kit.

Cheers .. Dave

As much as I love the new Airfix stuff you are right this time Jennings. The Fujimi, HC/Academy & heller sabres are all better in my opinion.

I see also they now retail this at £10.99 when the original was £6.99. As that's now only a couple of ££ less than the fujimi kit, and more expensive than you can get the Academy kit for its a bit of a no brainer!

Julien

• Like 2

The Hobby Craft/Academy Sabres are very nice kits without all the Airfix errors. Why even bother with Airfix?

Because Airfix continue to produce kits, which is more than can be said for US manufacturers that I will not even care to mention, and for that the former deserve our support

• Like 1

As much as I love the new Airfix stuff you are right this time Jennings. The Fujimi, HC/Academy & heller sabres are all better in my opinion.I see also they now retail this at £10.99 when the original was £6.99. As that's now only a couple of ££ less than the fujimi kit, and more expensive than you can get the Academy kit for its a bit of a no brainer!Julien

Julien,

Agree wholeheartedly......I too was a little puzzled by the price hike and this does now mean that Airfix have to seriously compete with what appear to be more accurate, if somewhat older, kits from other manufacturers.

Yes pricing not great on some kits at the moment by Airifx.

They re-popped their Magister and its £10.99 for an old kit. The heller one is only £7.99 and a better kit. The new valom ones can be had for £12 and its a new tool, also MPM are coming out with a new tool.

While I applaud the likes of the new Blenheim and the massive typhoon I don't like the churning out of the older stuff at inflated prices, but I suppose that's business.

I just wish they would make more distinction the boxes so less knowledgeable people don't end up with some of the older stuff when they think they are getting a new kit.

Julien

• Like 2

Because Airfix continue to produce kits, which is more than can be said for US manufacturers that I will not even care to mention, and for that the former deserve our support

Can't see how this can be a good reason to buy an inferior product from Airfix ! I'm very happy to buy an Airfix kit when this is better than the competition in some respect but not when this is inferior and today more expensive than the competition. My modelling budget is there to buy kits I like, not to subsidise private companies....

Edited by Giorgio N

Guys,

Apart from the wing fences, canopy and crappy wheels - are there any other noticeable errors with the Airfix Sabre?

After viewing numerous built kits on this website, this model does not look half bad to me.

I must admit that Airfix's rendition of the 'curved' fairing just before the Hori stabs is a little puzzling as all other Sabre kits show this tapering to a sharp point.

I have probably not explained this properly, but I'm referring to the section just above the airbrakes and just below the vertical fin fillet.

Keen to hear your (frank!) thoughts.. Cheers .. Dave.

• Like 2

I'm building it at the mo. I built the RAF version last year and it was ok, and I have the previous Korean release in the stash somewhere too. I built the Heller version over 25 years ago, it had the same Korean scheme along with a German one I believe. I think I have another one of those in the stash too, but it could be a case of raiding that kit for a couple of bits to improve the Airfix one. But I can't really understand why they felt the need to rerelease it so early just for a change of decals. Oh well, I'm sure someone their end knows!

Can't see how this can be a good reason to buy an inferior product from Airfix ! I'm very happy to buy an Airfix kit when this is better than the competition in some respect but not when this is inferior and today more expensive than the competition. My modelling budget is there to buy kits I like, not to subsidise private companies....

Read the message and then re-read the previous message. If Jennings wants to criticise the Airfix F-86F because it is inferior to the other kits that is fine by me...Im not one for one minute suggesting that modellers should buy the kit regardless because it is Airfix ......but that is NOT what he said....his comment was more general in nature and when one considers that the vast majority of new Airfix kits are either equal to or superior to the competition then it sends the wrong message. I do wish people would read and WRITE messages properly so individuals do not misinterpret them.....sadly this is the norm these days.

• Like 1

Its not a really bad kit. The fences and the wheels are fixable, but by the time you add a replacement set of wheels its starting to get expensive.

The major thing that I dont like is the canopy, given there are a lot of sabre references available I cant see how they got this wrong.

My Airfix sabre;

y1.jpg

As it used to say on my school reports airfix "could have done better".

As the Academy/Hobbycraft kit is cheaper, and the Fujimi one slightly more expensive I wont be buying any Airfix sabres soon.

Incidentally if you want to replace the really bad wheels on this kit I have picked up heller or airfix boxed heller sabres for as little as £2 at shows. They are worth that for the wheels which IMHO are actually better than the pavla ones.

• Like 2

As Julien said very well, it's not a bad kit and there aren't many errors. The fences can be moved, but means having to rework the surface of the wing, potentially annoying for a natural metal finish (and shouldn't the pylons be moved too?). Canopy and wheels can be replaced, but really shouldn't have to be in the first place.

To me it's more the general feel of the kit that is not great. Detail is sparse compared to the Academy kit, with the korean kit having better cockpit, wheels, landing gear and a much better surface detail, with a good representation of a number of features that are ignored in the Airfix kit.

In my local hobby shop the two kits have always been around the same price, for me the only advantage of the Airfix kit is that I can find this at a big toys supermarket very close to home for a low price.

New decals: I can't really blame Airfix for this choice, personally I think it makes good commercial sense. It could attract new buyers who may have not been interested by the previous choice of markings or even convince someone who already built one to buy another. In any case makes an existing kit look new even if it's not... Hasegawa has used this trick for decades, must be working !

Still, there's always the Hobby Boss kit. :winkgrin:

TBH its not that bad for an easy kit, and the decals stick like :shit: to a blanket. I picked some up for £2.99 each for a bit of fun. The canopy is the main issue with these as well. These are all HB sabres;

USAF1.jpg

SA2.jpg

1stSqn3.jpg

BIFinLeft.jpg

This is the Heller kit which can be had very cheaply these days.

DSCF0005.jpg

Julien

How does the current Airfix kit compare with the Hasegawa JASDF F-86 f ? Want to do a Korean war sabre, so trying to decide whether to do Airfix oob, or snaffle the Airfix decals for use with the Hasegawa.....

How does the current Airfix kit compare with the Hasegawa JASDF F-86 f ? Want to do a Korean war sabre, so trying to decide whether to do Airfix oob, or snaffle the Airfix decals for use with the Hasegawa.....

If you are talking about this one

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=174026

then it's UTTER CRAP.

Couldn't put it more mildly... :tapedshut:

I'd rate current 1/72 scale F-86 kits (best ones first) like this: Fujimi, Academy/Hobbycraft, Airfix, Heller, Hobbyboss.

Rest not even worth bothering with... :whistle:

• Like 1