Airfix 1:72 airborne Jeeps

JonP

I've had an interest in British Airborne Jeeps since researching my wife's grandfather's service during the second world war. He was a signaler in the 53rd (Worcestershire Yeomanry) Airlanding Light Regiment RA and was killed during Operation Varsity. When Airfix announced the release of their new kit I bought a few to see what I could come up with and I've made the first two as a British Airborne Jeep with 75mm Pack Howitzer and the a US Airborne armoured Jeep as used in the Ardennes. The kit comes with quite a few alternative parts which are not all mentioned on the instructions. For the British version I used the bonnet with the rack on and sanded of the MG pintle mounting, cut off the shrouded lamp from the LH mud guard and mounted it over the LH headlamp. I removed the grab handles from the body and cut back the front bumper as per instructions and mounted the jerry can between the seats which is shown in some of the stages of the instructions. I filled the holes for the hood rails and windscreen and added the tools to the front bumper. The US version was built from the box with the addition of PE armour and all the markings are from the kit. They were both painted with Vallejo Model Air British Bronze Green Modulation set and weathered with Broken Toad pigments.

AirborneJeepamp75side_zps3d6973f6.png

AirborneJeepamp75front_zps87dcbbeb.png

ArmouredJeepFront_zpsbf0a962a.png

ArmouredJeepRear_zps8238c8b7.png

• Like 8

Nice work Jon, was nice to see them yesterday :)

Cheers Si

to be honest I think they look better in the flesh than in the pictures! I've just received a conversion kit fro SHQ to make a British radio Jeep so I'll post some pictures of that as it develops.

• Like 1