Blenheim IV artwork up on Airfix.com

John

Nice box art again,......I didn`t know that the Coastal Command Mk.IVf`s wore the black and white undersides!

Looking forward to building quite a few of these,

Cheers

Tony

AND this one!!! This will most certainly get a build as soon as I have a couple in my clutches...Bolingbrokes!!!. My mojo must be coming back.... maybe withdrawal symptoms in anticipation of this kit and the Gnat mentioned elsewhere...and the Lightning.....£££££££££££££££ needed!!

Nice box art again,......I didn`t know that the Coastal Command Mk.IVf`s wore the black and white undersides!

DE / DG / Sky would have been a nice option, but I daresay we are going to get plenty of aftermarket decals at some point!

Looking forward to building quite a few of these,

Cheers

Tony

248 sqn were transferred from Coastal to Fighter Command between April and June 1940, and then transferred back to Coastal Command. The Black and white marking probably stems from that period.

Selwyn

It's a reasonably safe assumption that the CC fighter will have been repainted with Sky undersides at some time after June 1940. Unless it had been lost/moved on before then, of course. And you're left to yourself as to what was judged to be "Sky" at the time and available to CC units..

They're actually small bombs - they typically came in 20lb and 40lb varieties and were deemed useful for spreading explosive and shrapnel across a relatively wide area. They were used during the Japanese invasion of northern Malaya and were probably far more successful against invasion barges than would be the case with a pair of 250lb bombs.

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 1

For once, a not very inspiring piece of box art from Airfix, IMHO…..….I have been mightily impressed with some of their recent releases…....the Blenheim If, Lancaster B.III (FE) and this week's Lightning F.6 are classic cases in point. I would have preferred a Blenheim IVF Nightfighter 'at night' to 'sell' this kit (which will, no doubt be very good) to the undecided.

ho hum

• Like 1

Here's a pic of the subject aircraft:

standard.jpg

It's a bit hard to make out but what is this on the underside of the nose and front?

Looks like it is bulged with unusual openings?

I might have a go at this one.

I only just finished a few months ago the previous tooling from the VC set. It came out OK, but I had real problems with the fitting of the lower nose window. I really like the fact that the clear parts are differently partitioned on the new tool.

Reckon I'll do the nightfighter.

I really hope Airifx give me a break next year, SWMBO is still giving me grief over my 24th Tiffie...

It's a bit hard to make out but what is this on the underside of the nose and front?

Looks like it is bulged with unusual openings?

It's the emergency exit hatch and one of the openings is, I believe, the recess in which the external release handle is set. If you scroll down this page, there's an illustration from the AP showing the parachute exits.

Regardless of the colour scheme arguments and box art, I for one will buy a few anyway. The box art is nice but its whats inside that concerns me! And in any case I won't be using the options in the kit. Mine will be RCAF Coastal patrol one and a yellow possibly. I'm waiting for someone like Aviaeology to produce a couple sets with the astounding details and good quality decals!!

AND this one!!! This will most certainly get a build as soon as I have a couple in my clutches...Bolingbrokes!!!. My mojo must be coming back.... maybe withdrawal symptoms in anticipation of this kit and the Gnat mentioned elsewhere...and the Lightning.....£££££££££££££££ needed!!

Bolingbrokes to you, too!