Airbrushing automotive paint?

Beardylong

I want to airbrush some automotive paint - will it ruin my airbrush?

The paint is a 2 pack; base colour & lacquer in rattle cans.

Will it work ok?

Do I use standard airbrush cleaners after?

And how about decanting the rattle cans - any tips?

Thanks in anticipation,

Andrew

surely that means its not two pack, as two pack has two parts to the paint a bit like epoxy resin, where you mix an activator into the paint. It sounds like normal spray paint to me so id say yes it would be fine to decant it and spray through your airbrush. Just remember to have some suitable thinners on hand to clean the brush out.

HTH

• Like 1

I would not bother, to be honest, what is the point on decanting a rattle can when you can buy the paints especially for airbrushing,

are you looking at decanting cans so you can prime the model with them, if so just use the spray can, spray on to the model and use some micro mesh to polish it down, I know weather can be a problem as you need a sunny dry and not a windy day.

If you do want to decant, all you need is a big glass jar put some cling film over the top, use a straw and attach it firmly in to the nozzle of the paint can, use blue tac to make sure it goes around the straw and nozzle and no paint can escape, poke the straw into the cling film and spray, you will have to allow the paint to settle for a few hours as the gases have to escape.

I want to airbrush some automotive paint - will it ruin my airbrush?

The paint is a 2 pack; base colour & lacquer in rattle cans.

Will it work ok?

Do I use standard airbrush cleaners after?

Depends on the airbrush, but most airbrushes today will work just fine with all automotive paint.

What is it you want to achieve by using automotive paint? They are usually a lot too dark when put on a scale model.

Remember that you need to prime. The styrene of the kit can react if the paint is too hot.

Thanks all. You've all seen right through my question! I actually want to airbrush automotive paint onto my car!! A rusty wheel arch on a 55 plate Audi! Didn't expect that. I want the control of an airbrush rather than the all or nothing shotgun of a rattle can and all the overspray issues with that. Don't worry, I use ordinary model paint on my models - mostly acrylic and I'm a bit of a Vallejo Model Air fan, but have a loads of Humbrol, Mr Hobby & Tamiya as well.

So it's more a tools for the job question rather than a modelling question, but thanks anyway!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Thanks all. You've all seen right through my question! I actually want to airbrush automotive paint onto my car!! A rusty wheel arch on a 55 plate Audi! Didn't expect that. I want the control of an airbrush rather than the all or nothing shotgun of a rattle can and all the overspray issues with that. Don't worry, I use ordinary model paint on my models - mostly acrylic and I'm a bit of a Vallejo Model Air fan, but have a loads of Humbrol, Mr Hobby & Tamiya as well.

So it's more a tools for the job question rather than a modelling question, but thanks anyway!

Cheers,

Andrew

Lol!

I was thinking of doing the same with the wife's Megane!

Rick.

If it is a steel panel then I'd check for corrosion every where it comes into contact with the aluminium as bi metallic corrosion will probably me making it dissappear.