1/32 Dauntless

Gisbod

Hi all,

Just started this one - I'm posting over on LSPs so apologies if I'm doubling up but...

I made one Trumpy kit a couple of years back (their 109E-7 - hated it) but thought I'd have a bash at another one - the general recommendation seems to be the Dauntless is probably their best kit.

Having started the kit I can say its fabulous! :) it's chalk & cheese compared to the 109..

I got the Eduard big ED set - lovely, really brings the detail level up and a set of Montex Masks which I thought would be really noticeable on this kit.

There are some wonderfully weathered photos of this aircraft on the net, hoping to recreate something similar..

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

I've just about finished the interior construction - ready for a coat of primer

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Morning/afternoon (time zone dependent)

Not much more to show really, but I thought I would at least prove I am actually progressing (slowly!).

image.jpg

Thoughts so far.. Still very much like the kit but after fitting all the major sections - you can tell it's not Tamiya - it all fits pretty well but not without a bit of grunting & filler here & there. It has the transparent cowling thing going on (yuk) but I think it could still end up looking like Tamiya - just a bit more effort to get there :) I'm looking forward to getting the primer on and getting down to the nitty gritty of painting!

Guy

Very nice work there.

Shame you started on a trumpy 109e as its grossly inaccurate dog of a kit (and I'm not generally that worried about accuracy) but the Dauntless is a beauty, looks just right.

I love that second war time photo with the '8' ball on the nose of the aircraft.

I look forward to following your progress.

Edited by VonkeyVong

Shame you started on a trumpy 109e as its grossly inaccurate dog of a kit (and I'm not generally that worried about accuracy) but the Dauntless is a beauty, looks just right.

I love that second war time photo with the '8' ball on the nose of the aircraft.

Thanks :) yep, after the 109 I swore I'd never make a Trumpeter kit again - but thankfully, having seen some beautifully finished models by other people I thought they can't all be bad - as I've said - it's still not tamiya - but it's just that there are so many Tamiya Spits etc being made, it's nice to do something a little different..

Guy

Those colour photo's are amazing. They give so much detail regarding weathering of the front fuselage/wing root. Very handy for research.

They are incredible aren't they? I'm sure if you had a perfect copy of that on the model - everyone would be going on about 'over weathered' I still haven't worked out how I can tackle it - but therein lies the fun!

Guy