1:250 Scale Paper Model: Fishing Boat "Wuppertal"

dr_gn

I'll be watching this with great interest as I've been quite curious about these "Paper" models.

Does the detailing not look very 2 dimentional?

You'd think everything was flat, but in fact pretty much all 3d detail is built up in 3d using paper. Even the tiny pulley blocks, winch assembly and lamps etc.

I was looking at the paper ship gallery at the Hamburg Museum last week, and the fidelity of those models almost matches (in some cases exceeds) those of conventional models.

I bought this one becasue it's fairly cheap, yet has all the details.

• Like 1

First job is to thoroughly read and understand what the instructions mean, then very carefully cut out the appropriate parts:

So the main kit isn't laser/die cut at all? That's an eye watering amount of careful cutting. All those curves.........Not exactly relax in front of the TV stuff is it?

Have to say it's looking really good so far tho' Enjoying this......

So the main kit isn't laser/die cut at all? That's an eye watering amount of careful cutting. All those curves.........Not exactly relax in front of the TV stuff is it?

Have to say it's looking really good so far tho' Enjoying this......

Ta.

No, you just get printed sheets with various line types which indicate either a cut, a score on the front or back, and indications of where other parts fit. Everything needs hand cutting.

I did buy the laser cut card set which includes handrails and other fine details. These are included in the standard kit as paper, but for example the handrails are printed on solid and when installed don't match the fidelity of the rest of the kit.

So long as you set aside a few hours to do what needs doing and don't rush, it is in fact a very rewarding process....so far!

• Like 1

Looking good mate, looking good!

Might be worth running a felt tip pen of the correct colour quickly along the paper edges though to blend them in with the rest of the part and stop the white showing through. I've never tried a paper kit so I'd suggest a practice swipe on some spare paper first, just in case the felt pen floods the area and damages the print.

As for the dent in the bow... Hey, fishing boats get very dented. It's basically quite a small ship hitting some very big waves and they can do some very serious damage. They're also powerful wee ships as they're normally dragging a very heavy load along the seabed a fair distance behind them.

• Like 2

Fascinating modelling dr, and certainly a different discipline from "traditional" modelling.

Fair dues to you for having the patience with this, my fists of ham would have this sunk by now,

Sean

• Like 1