Boeing 777-306ER - KLM

This is my latest completion: Boeing's big twin in the form of a 1/144th KLM Boeing 777-306ER.

This model was based on Minicraft's 777-200 kit, with numerous modifications. I inserted Braz's fuselage extension plugs forward and aft of the wings, did a bit of re-profiling of the nose area, added Contrails' extended and raked wingtips, completely re-worked Contrails' GE90-115B engines and pylons, and finished it off by using a DrawDecal set for the current KLM scheme. All paints were from Halfords' automotive range.

This was a fairly straight-forward conversion, but I did create a fair bit of extra work by modifying the engines. However, I think it was well worth it and they are now a better representation of the real thing.

Boeing 777-306/ER, KLM, PH-BVA, 'De Hoge Veluwe National Park'

DSC_0070_zpscf885dde.jpg

DSC_0091_zpsdaa53e80.jpg

DSC_0081_zps9cb55e43.jpg

DSC_0079_zps2398b229.jpg

DSC_0073_zps94e172f8.jpg

DSC_0065_zps25240ae4.jpg

DSC_0069_zpsf836e9b7.jpg

DSC_0063_zps6e2ecb3e.jpg

DSC_0061_zps3b720895.jpg

Happy modelling!

Tom

• Like 24

This is superb - I love it and having a kit of almost the same on the bench myself, this really appeals to me. Your paintwork is great and your chosen livery has really brought the kit to life - I don't think I have seen another -300ER in KLM colours modelled before either which adds to my interest in your work here. I have another MC777-200 on the stock shelf with some Emirates Pele Fifa 14 decals to turn into a -300ER one day later this year. I just need those correct engines from somewhere now.

Tip top and 12/10 to you here

Thanks for the kind words folks...

Outstanding job Tom,

Do you have a pattern for the tail bumper? Or do you just add a lump and shape until it looks right?

:thumbsup:

I just made it from some scrap plastic - not sure if it's a good representation of the real thing or not to be honest, but in this scale you can get away with it!

Great stuff, I will have to tackle an airliner soon. how do you get the really glossy finish?

The gloss finish is Halfords Clear Lacquer. It only seems to work over Halfords' paints (it is pretty potent stuff!) and must be applied in very thin dust coats otherwise it can eat the decals... this has had about 5 very thin coats and it builds up into a beautiful gloss finish that is very hard-wearing and won't yellow over time.

This is superb - I love it and having a kit of almost the same on the bench myself, this really appeals to me. Your paintwork is great and your chosen livery has really brought the kit to life - I don't think I have seen another -300ER in KLM colours modelled before either which adds to my interest in your work here. I have another MC777-200 on the stock shelf with some Emirates Pele Fifa 14 decals to turn into a -300ER one day later this year. I just need those correct engines from somewhere now.

Tip top and 12/10 to you here

Welsh Models do a conversion set to turn the -200 into a -300ER, and provide GE90-115B engines and pylons, new flap tracks (to improve on the kit's) as well as the raked wing tips. If you've already got Braz's plugs then you'll be good to go. The picture on the link below is not working so I can't judge the engines, but I've only ever been very impressed by Welsh's stuff in the past:

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/RE003.html

Or, as I did, there's the Contrails route:

http://www.contrailsmodels.com/Engines.html

Scroll down the page and you'll find them!

Superb job from a not very good kit.

It's not too bad to be fair, but does require more work than say an offering from Revell would. I love the 777-3000ER and with the work involved in converting this one I think I'll go for the Welsh Models vac if I do another - it'll probably be more straight forward!

Tom

• Like 3

I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but damn that is awesome! I'm not a huge airliner fan but can appreciate a great build of one when I see it. I wish I could make an airliner as good as that...

MH

I've come back for a second helping of KLM tonight and to show my wifey just what a great model you have made here - she says she'd rather be sat on the real thing up front in first class than looking at it from the sofa !

• Like 1

Another wonderful build Tom. I'm not sure whether to be inspired or accept I'll never achieve your standards and take up stamp collecting instead!

Which Halfords blue did you use?

Dave B

Edited by Skodadriver