Xtracolour seems not to dry - what did I wrong?

alex

Hello,

I airbrushed my Gannet with Xtracolor "RAF blue grey" (X13), thinned with Modelmaster Airbrush thinner. I sprayed many thin layers, as I think the coverage of the colour is rather disappointing. But after almost two weeks, I still think the colour hasn't dried 100% yet. It doesn't leave fingerprints, but still feels a bit "sticky". Should I have a go and airbrush some Tamiya Acrylic gloss varnish, wait some more time or is this a normal behaviour of the Xtracolor?

Alex

For the paint you have already sprayed I think the best thing is probably to put it to one side for a few weeks and wait it out I'm afraid.

I've started using Xtracolor too and was troubled by the geological drying times, then I discovered something called Terebine driers, an additive that is used in very small quantities (1%) and decreases the drying time to less than 24 hours in line with normal gloss enamels. Also suggested is to thin it with cellulose thinners.

At the moment I'm thinning the stuff with a 50:50 mix of white spirit & cellulose thinners and a drop of the terebine dryers, and have had good results since

Regards

Mark

• Like 1

I use Xtracolor all the time and never have a problem with drying time, I mix it for 2-3 minutes with a Badger battery stirrer, thin 50:50 with Xtracolor quick drying thinners (XDTT) thinners and airbrush at 12 psi, it is touch dry in a couple of hours but I leave it at least 48 hours to fully cure before masking over it.I usually airbrush into the light to achieve a "wet" finish.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello,

I airbrushed my Gannet with Xtracolor "RAF blue grey" (X13), thinned with Modelmaster Airbrush thinner. I sprayed many thin layers, as I think the coverage of the colour is rather disappointing. But after almost two weeks, I still think the colour hasn't dried 100% yet. It doesn't leave fingerprints, but still feels a bit "sticky". Should I have a go and airbrush some Tamiya Acrylic gloss varnish, wait some more time or is this a normal behaviour of the Xtracolor?

Alex

Many years ago when I used Xtracolor paints, I had a similar problem with some paints being reluctant to dry. I used, with some success a thin coat of Johnsons Kleer over the top, that dried rock hard, and then applied the required finish...

I had the same problem with Xtracolour taking weeks to dry. I was thinning with cellulose thinners but it took so long even in a warm place. I wouldn't put anything on top of your paint unless it is fully cured as you might end up with crazy paving.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I had the same problem with Xtracolour taking weeks to dry. I was thinning with cellulose thinners but it took so long even in a warm place. I wouldn't put anything on top of your paint unless it is fully cured as you might end up with crazy paving.

Duncan B

That's exactly what I was afraid of - spraying one more layer over the not-yet-cured paint. So, it looks like the colour really needs its time.

Thanks mates, it shows me I did nothing wrong with the colour!

Alex

I stopped using Xtracolour paints ages ago because of the inordinately long drying time. That and the (in many cases) very poor colour density put me right off. I'll never use them again.

Allan

I've had the same experience (who hasn't ). Some colors are worse than others . I have found drying time to be vastly improved by thinning with Windsor & Newton "English Distilled Turpentine". Obtained it in an art supply store. Should be easier to find in the old country than here in the colonies.

For the paint you have already sprayed I think the best thing is probably to put it to one side for a few weeks and wait it out I'm afraid.

I've started using Xtracolor too and was troubled by the geological drying times, then I discovered something called Terebine driers, an additive that is used in very small quantities (1%) and decreases the drying time to less than 24 hours in line with normal gloss enamels. Also suggested is to thin it with cellulose thinners.

At the moment I'm thinning the stuff with a 50:50 mix of white spirit & cellulose thinners and a drop of the terebine dryers, and have had good results since

Regards

Mark

This is pretty much what I do with Xtracolor enamel paints. Dries very quickly - almost too quickly.

Also used Xtracolor XDDT thinners with fairly good results.

Karl