Force8 Half Mask Respirator & Filters

Mike

Force8 Half Mask Respirator & Filters
JSP Professional via the Airbrush Company

boxtop.jpg

We've been discussing respirators on the forum lately, and we're all in agreement that we should probably be using one, regardless of whether we have a spray booth, or spray outdoors. Proper respirators that filter our both particulates as well as chemicals from the air are a must, as even some acrylic paints are based on Isopropyl Alcohol (a.k.a. Isopropanol, or IPA), with lacquer and enamel paints made from even more noxious stuff.

With the best will in the world, you can't spray without getting some of the dried paint and its carrier into the atmosphere around you, and a spray booth is only capable of removing those within its immediate area. I often spray with my booth running, and no mask on (I'm going to try to be good from now on), and smell nothing, but when my good lady comes in, she comments on the stench. No wonder Alan the Giraffe often comes to watch me spraying. :hypnotised:

Force8 Mask
This mask from JSP Professional is rather modern and sleek, with emphasis on the exhaust vent, which is referred to as the Typhoon exhalation usually. This has been designed to create the bare minimum of back-pressure when inhaling so that breathing isn't an effort. This also has the advantage of pushing out much of the moisture in your breath before it has chance to drop out of the airflow and deposit around the colder parts of the mask to form condensation. On other masks, this can start to trickle and pool at the bottom, causing discomfort. I am well known for being a very warm individual due to my badly regulated liver function, so I see myself as the ideal test for any device of this kind. I have sat here now for half an hour wearing the mask as I type, and barely any condensation has yet formed within the mask, and breathing is a lot more pleasant than my old mask.

mask.jpg

mask2.jpg

Also touted is the improved visibility due to the sleek mask and the slim filters that are available separately. I've not yet had to make an extra movement to view the keyboard, so it can't be bad, and I'm wearing my glasses with it. Be careful not to forget to remove them first though, as if you forget you might damage your expensive glasses. The mask is pleasantly light, although you do feel the weight on the back of your neck from the lower strap, but that can be moved upwards to alleviate the pressure a little. The upper strap is continuous, and bifurcates into a "cap" that cradles the back of your head comfortably, and is adjustable for smaller heads. The straps are supplied fully extended, and fitted my head well, so don't worry if you've got a large cranium. I have too!

The mask's cushion is comfortable too, and there are no parts that seem to dig in, however there is a wider section under the chin that if placed a certain way could catch your bottom lip if you pull a face or happen to have protruding lips. Moving the mask lower on your chin makes this less likely, but of course everyone's face and head is a different shape and size, so make use of the various adjustments until you get a comfortable setup.

mask1.jpg

In the box of the mask itself you get the mask with a protective plastic surround applied to the mask cushion to protect it from becoming misshapen during transit, which would cause a period of poor fit until it returned to its proper shape. There is also a multi-language instruction manual with plenty of health & safety tips. On the side of the small box is a usage and application guide that suggests the correct filters for the job in hand, and those are available separately to allow you to choose those that suit your needs.

As a footnote, there are four reflective areas at the base of each strap that will prevent you from creeping up on people in the dark to scare them. Sorry if that's a problem for you.

Force8 Filters

boxtop-filters.jpg

A pair of F8-112 filters were supplied with the mask for testing, which are intended for low capacity gas/vapours and medium efficiency dust filtering, which is just about perfect for spraying hobby paints. The cartridges are dated for expiry, as the products used in manufacturing the filter element degrade over time, so it's a case of use them or lose them. The samples had a generous two year date on them, which gives plenty of time for use. As stated earlier, the filters are streamlined for improved vision, and they work well. They also work well with filtering paint fumes, as proved by my wanton spraying of IPA around the workshop a little earlier, not a whiff of which was experienced by your reviewer until I took off my mask for a sniff. VERY effective! When you come to install your filters in the mask, you just fit the keyed connector into the mask, then twist them hard to engage the bayonets moulded into the connector. The flex of the materials coupled with a moulded in "hump" ensure they fit tightly to avoid leaks. Replacing the filters is simply a case of reversing the action, having a look at the installed filter first for a clue as to the correct direction, as the bayonet and receptacle is visible from within the mask.

filters1.jpg

Conclusion
The mask is comfortable to wear for prolonged periods (about an hour in one stint for me), makes breathing more natural and condensation less of a concern, most of which was in the clear deflector on the front of the mask. Of course if you're running a marathon in one, I'd imagine you'd eventually sweat it up a bit, but that's just silly!

If you don't have a respirator yet, then you should have. You get only one set of lungs, and your family might actually miss you if you screw them up by inhaling too many tiny particles of paint or resin dust. It's an easy mask to put on once you're used to where the fittings are, so what's your excuse? Lack of money? Can't spend it if you're dead, can you? Buy one. Do it now, and don't forget the filters, as it's a bit useless without 'em!

Highly recommended Mandatory if you don't have one, or just fancy a nice new one with shiny bits & new technology.

Mask & F8-112 Filters (x2)
bin.jpg

F8-112 Filters (x2)
bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg

• Like 1

I need a new mask as I broke the filters on my last one and just checked the site; I thought the mask and filters would have cost more so I have ordered a set.

I also got a 5% discount on this order, as I was a first time user of their site, so that was even better!

thanks for the review and info.

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I find that I get nasal irritation after using CA. Will this mask help?

Yes, it would do.

I actually had one of these masks but didn't get on with it as the rubber is not totally soft and I think I have a wonky nose and could never get a proper seal. I have a 3M one now. But anyone that sprays paint should get one no matter what.