P-51B SHangri La, Revell 1/72

Hey guys, i would like to show you my last finished kit :) It was built as part of the Mustang STGB, using Revell´s kit, Quickboost wheels and exhausts, mix of PE parts, which i had around and Kits-World decals.

The main problem with the Revell´s kit is the canopy as it does not fit at all. So i decided to do a little surgery, cut out the area behind cockpit and altered the area infront of cockpit and used spare Hasegawa canopy. Also i used propeller from Airfix P-51D. Full WIP if anyone is interested is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965165-p-51b-revell-duo-shangri-la-b-racer/

I decided to ignore the wheel wells this time, so i was only focusing the cockpit and the fitting of the Hasegawa canopy.

Fotografie_0069.jpg

004.jpg

After some work on preshading and "pretoning" the OD (which i almost killed with too thick last layer.. gogo me :weep: ), this is the result

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

030.jpg

some details around :)

044.jpg

045.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

And all my mustangs so far, happy together :D

049.jpg

Note: I forgot to add the tail wheel doors before taking the shots, but i was too lazy to make new shots after.. Sorry :)

Thanks a lot guys for watching and hope you like her at least a bit :) Have a nice day

• Like 22

Hey guys, big big thanks to you all for your nice comments and for the time you spent watching my last baby :) I hope i can repeat the result on next kits - as i m still trying something new and trying to find "my way", i never know how it turns out.. ;)

As for the next project - i kind of fell in love with mustangs. Maybe its the nosearts too, maybe its also the nice Airfix D kit, which is cheap and awesome.. however, actualy i needed some quick OOB build, so i started to work on two of these, one ll be finished as "Sweet Arlene"(QP-S) and second ll be the F-51D with sharkmouth from Airfix boxing. Originaly i wanted to build "Gunfighter" (CY-U), warbird flying after war, but i found out it is two seater and i need to find some resources for the back spot, so it has to wait :) And because i do not have enough mustangs obviously, there are Hasegawa and Revell´s B siting in my shelf of doom, both ll be finished after the D´s :D

Realy big thanks to all of you guys, for your very nice words and all comments :)

The Revell´s kit would be amazing, if it was not for the canopy.. The problem is, it does not fit bad only on the back side, but also the wind shield fits soo bad.. + just by looking on images of real B, it looks like the original windshield is too short, flat. The Hasegawa canopy is good solution, but needs quite some time with fitting and adjusting the fuselage. And one does not have unlimited supply of these.. :) Squadron is making vacu canopy for Hasegawa kit, so it could be option too.

I would go for Academy kits next time as it was recomended to me few times, the kit does not look bad. BUT... Revell has one realy BIG advantage - the right shape of leading edge by wing roots.

All other kits of B i could see in 1/72 are using the D wing shape.. And the difference is quite big - you can see it on the group photo.

So the question is - what B kit would you recomend guys? (and knock knock Airfix, your B is getting pretty old, give younger sister to your D, please! :D )

Anyway, thanks to all once again, sorry for the wall of text, at morning my brain tends to be thinking a lot... :winkgrin: