The cab roof is on, and I've added the seams, which helpfully hide the joints:

austin-k2-60

austin-k2-62

Some pre-shading:

austin-k2-63

and the final coat of green:

austin-k2-64

austin-k2-65

There's a bit of tidying up needed. The outside of the roof has been pre-shaded to add some interest to a pretty flat, dull area:

austin-k2-67

and the interior has some electrical conduits added, as well as some lights, handily left over from the Liberator build!

austin-k2-66

The door frames, cab doors and rear door have been primed, and need some pre-shading, then they're ready for the top coat and fitting, at last:

austin-k2-68

Next job will be the glazing (windscreen, cab door windows, canteen side window and rear door window), which should be fun...

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 5

A few odds and ends to update today:

I decided the handles of the mugs were too clunky, so have redone them (new 'improved' version above, with the old clunky one below)

austin-k2-69

I've done ten of these, so I thought I'd make a rack to put some of them in:

austin-k2-70

I've also found some excellent photos of the interiors of various canteen vans on the IWM website. They show all the various bits of kit that these things had in them, including a small gas oven that would sit on the worktop, so I thought I'd make one of those too:

austin-k2-71

and lastly for today, I've done the glazing for the cab doors and the rear entrance door:

austin-k2-72

The cab door windows are portrayed partly wound down, just to add a bit of interest (also makes them easier to fit...!

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 4

So, more progress to report...

The interior of the canteen area is now in pretty much done, with the various bits and bobs in place:

austin-k2-73

austin-k2-75

The sliding windows on the right hand side is now also in place, with the windows open for some fresh air!

View from the rear, complete with tin bucket for cleaning purposes:

austin-k2-74

The wheels are also on, and it's surprising how much weight they add.

I've been mulling over whether to add some figures for a while, and thought well, why not. I saw these:

austin-k2-76

and thought they'd do nicely to go in the back. They're 'multipose' - here are the bodies and heads painted and a bit of highlight/lowlight work to add some variation:

austin-k2-77

austin-k2-78

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

As Boney once said, "an army marches on it's stomach", so does anyone want a doughnut? Or perhaps a nice bun to go with their tea?

austin-k2-79

I came across the Milicast website a few days ago, and so I thought it might be a nice idea make a small diorama with the canteen van, a few figures and some other bits and bobs. I bought this section of cobbled street (ref DBS005):

austin-k2-81

It's a handy size - 14cm x 9cm, so won't take up much room, and I also got this set of British troops (set FIG061). One of them even is even holding a cup in his hand, which is helpful! I've started painting them up, and tried to add a little colour variaton in the uniforms to show the colour as having faded or washed out to different extents:

austin-k2-80

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 9

I showed my wife the pic of the canteen open for business with the cakes and cups and asked her what size she thought it was !!!!!! She thought it was 1/12 "dolls house" scale !!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was stunned to hear how small it was instead !!!!!!!

Wonderfull detailing

Nige

Looks amazing - top job!!

I have a set of etch spoons in 1/72. There's tons on the fret, so if you would like a few please pm me your address and I'll pop them in the post.

Ben

• Like 1