Airfix Austin K2 canteen van conversion

Simon

Hello everyone

I'm converting the Airfix K2 Ambulance from their RAF Emergency set into a N.A.A.F.I. tea van. I've not done much armour or vehicle modelling since I was a teenager, which was a LONG time ago, so I'm curious as to how this will work out!

I'm doing this alongside my 1/72 Minicraft Liberator built, as a bit of a diversion. I've no scale drawings, no measurements - it's all done by eye and guesswork, so 'rivet-counters' might like to avert their eyes now...

First job is to amend the cab:

austin-k2-01

The Ambulance cab looks too wide, so off with the bits marked, and it looks like this:

austin-k2-03

The kit's radiator grille is somewhat sparse:

austin-k2-04

So, I took off with the vertical bars, and put some brass mesh in place:

austin-k2-05

I've replaced the bars, and added the crank starter aperture:

austin-k2-06

Like the radiator, the kit's wheels are pretty basic, so I've got some nice white metal ones from Wee Friends, which look great:

austin-k2-07

On to the canteen area, and I've made the cab's rear bulkhead, marked out a tiled floor area, and started on the cupboards and drawers:

austin-k2-08

austin-k2-09

This the rear bits tacked in place with Blu Tack for fit:

austin-k2-10

austin-k2-11

The cupboard handles need sanding back once the glue has properly set, and next up will be the worktops and tea making equipment.

Once that's done, it's back to the cab, which will need a new curved roof, doors, seats and controls. Then the body sides, roof and rear door...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 6

More progress...

Rear cupboards and drawer sections have been painted, and the tiled floor done:

austin-k2-12

I've bought set of etched brass steering wheels from Dan Taylor Modelworks, and they're just great:

austin-k2-13

Bit of an improvement over the kit's steering wheel...!!

I've also made a new gear lever:

austin-k2-14

It's just a bit of plastic rod, with the tip dipped in some thick-ish paint, left to dry then repeated a few times to build up the round end. Again, it's a bit more realistic than the kit's one.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2

Oooh, following this! :goodjob: Oddly enough, I've recently (almost) completed a Liberator as well as a NAFFI tea wagon, though mine was a conversion of a (Wills?) tea cabin. Mine's nothing like as good as yours, but it was a fun diversion and I intend to park it in a bomber diorama somewhere. Really enjoying your build, will watch with much interest!

• Like 1

Seem to remember this conversion(with drawings) in an Airfix Magazine Guide...Military Vehicles?

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this build? I was really enjoying it!

Meanwhile, here's my pretty substandard effort. It's an adaptation of the Wills 1:76 kit (I think) and some 1:76 figures I bought from China which are a tad under-scale (the tea ladies are teenagers, that's my story and I'm sticking to it). It's still a doodle (not really a 'work') in progress and there's stuff to do but it kept me amused one afternoon. Accuracy wise it's a 'sketch' of what might have been seen on a busy bomber base. I bet some bases had temporary tea cabins if not entirely wheeled, motorised and mobile. The kit came with wheels but I lost them and the extra height would have looked silly.

DSCN0521.jpg

DSCN0528.jpg

Front removed. The mother of all loaves! ..and a nice stove/cooker...thingy...

DSCN0527.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice sir - something similar is covered way back when in the Airfix Book by Gerald Scarborough - Military Modelling. A lot of his conversions have been produced in kit form. Oxford diecast do a 1/76 Naffi Van - a Bedford I believe.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for leavin g this so long, but my Liberator build has been taking up all my modelling time. Anyway, there is some progress to report.

I've been double-checking my references, and it seems the Canteen vans were longer that the ambulance version - they look like they have a longer body aft of the rear axle. An educated guess, and this is what I think need to be added on the rear of the body:

austin-k2-17

Of course this makes the stuff I've done for the kitchen area too short! Bit of a pain, but not the end of the world - here is the new floor masked and ready to be tiled:

austin-k2-18

and the new cupboards ready for the drawers etc. to be added:

austin-k2-19

I've done the cab doors too:

austin-k2-16

The other thing I've noticed that are different are that the canteen van's radiator has horizontal slats, rather than a grille mesh on the ambulance, and the wheels are different too - the front wheels are different pattern, and the rear axles have two sets of twin wheels. These photos show the differences:

K2 Ambulance:

11050671334_3b328452bf_b.jpg

Canteen van:

8216745556_4b330f9049_b.jpg

The radiator hopefully won't be too much of a problem, but I'm really struggling with the wheels. I thought maybe the wheels from the Airfix Opel Blitz may do, but they too small in diameter and too narrow. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies folks. The K6 wheels aren't the right pattern, and the Matador wheels are too big, however I think (he says, hopefully), that the wheels issue may have been sorted. I saw that Langley Models do some wheels that are about the right size, and look like they may be the right pattern too: front wheels and twin rear wheels, so I've ordered some and I'll see what they're like when they arrive.

Meanwhile, there's been more chopping and changing. The problem with not having any drawings is that everything is done by eye, using whatever photographic references I can find. I noticed that the cab rear wall is too far forward, meaning that the cab doors are too narrow. So the cab rear wall has been moved back a couple of milimetres, and the cab doors re-done:

austin-k2-22

Here's the older narrower door bottom left, new size above it, and I'm having the driver's door open, so the door and frame on the right are separate:

austin-k2-21

That also means the rear body sides need changing too. Here's the old LH body side (with the serving hatch and various inside bits marked in position), with the amended RH side (with the window marked) below it to show the changes in the length and wheel arch position:

austin-k2-20

The rear of the main body needs extending, so I've added an extra section to the rear of the floor:

austin-k2-23

All of this is very much 'best guess' with regards to dimensions...!

More soon,

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2

A quick update today...

The wheels from Langley Models have arrived. Here are, from left to right, two of the Airfix kit wheels, the Wee Friends (Friendship Models) K2 ambulance replacement wheels (front wheel above and single rear under), and the Langley Models 13mm Leyland ones (again, front wheel on top, twin rear ones underneath):

austin-k2-25

The Langley wheels are a bit more rough and ready in the casting, but after a tidy up and a coat of primer, they look much better. They'll be fine after some paint and some weathering:

austin-k2-26

Meanwhile, I've been putting together the rear kitchen area - it's like deja vu all over again :whistle:

austin-k2-27

austin-k2-28

Wooden worktops, with hole for a sink unit:

austin-k2-30

Here's the sink made from a section of drilled out plastic rod:

austin-k2-31

and the top and sink test-fitted:

austin-k2-32

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon