Airfix 1:72 Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4

• 2 years later...

“It's almost like watching the plastic change colour without any noticeable thickness of paint being applied. To do this, I thin the paint down quite a bit (never try to cover in one coat), so I have to be careful to not spray a lot without moving the airbrush lest the paint run.”

I think this is the nicest 109 I’ve seen online, my Von Were isn’t going so great, I daren’t add another brush coat (this particular scheme works well with no airbrush) especially if you are a novice such as I. recently bought a serious air brush, I thought an ideal time to add a thin coat with the airbrush as you say. I do have a question,

You say you do not move the airbrush to not let the paint run, does than mean passing the model it’s self over a static airbrush?

Also for those who have not watched the movie about Von Were and his backstory I highly recommend it, regardless of historical accuracy, it’s certainly entertaining and great inspiration to go and build this, maybe even with your kids, grandkids. 

10/10 thanks for uploading this!

On 24/02/2020 at 19:05, blanco77 said:

You say you do not move the airbrush to not let the paint run, does than mean passing the model it’s self over a static airbrush?

I use my airbrush in the normal fashion, sorry for the confusion.

I was trying to describe how I use highly thinned paint (maybe 20 paint, 80 thinner) for doing very fine edges and/or mottling. With highly thinned paint, and the flow of paint in the airbrush opened just a TINY amount, it's possible to hold the airbrush in place and see the colour slowly appear. Of course, you can only do this when a TINY amount of highly thinned paint is actually coming through the airbrush. In such a configuration, I can freehand fine camo edges and other small details. It takes forever, but I find I can achieve better results this way. For painting large areas, I do not thin the paint so much. A 50/50 blend is more typical for me in such as case. Of course, it all depends on the paint, too.

Thanks for liking the Messerschmitt. I've been modelling for 53 years, and it's the only Bf 109 I've ever built. The Airfix kit is a cracker.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 26/02/2020 at 19:20, Navy Bird said:

I use my airbrush in the normal fashion, sorry for the confusion.

I was trying to describe how I use highly thinned paint (maybe 20 paint, 80 thinner) for doing very fine edges and/or mottling. With highly thinned paint, and the flow of paint in the airbrush opened just a TINY amount, it's possible to hold the airbrush in place and see the colour slowly appear. Of course, you can only do this when a TINY amount of highly thinned paint is actually coming through the airbrush. In such a configuration, I can freehand fine camo edges and other small details. It takes forever, but I find I can achieve better results this way. For painting large areas, I do not thin the paint so much. A 50/50 blend is more typical for me in such as case. Of course, it all depends on the paint, too.

Thanks for liking the Messerschmitt. I've been modelling for 53 years, and it's the only Bf 109 I've ever built. The Airfix kit is a cracker.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill. Thanks for the reply. I’ve been using my Iwata very gingerly as I think you’ll agree, airbrushing is a skill that you make look easy! I’m worried the pins going to get bent when cleaning so that’s also an art itself. Still I have had a few good goes on the inside of a B17 on the bench at the moment. Thanks again for taking the time to reply and the paint ratio tips will definitely come in handy. S

• Thanks 1