Lee Enfield No4

Deanflyer

Hi all,

I've always liked the old .303 - we had one down the gun club, and at 25 yards you could make one ragged hole in the target with five rounds. I even bought some vintage ammo, dug out of a container sealed in 1951, which was green all over with verdigris. Still went bang most satisfactorily though...

After my long winded Attacker, I fancied something quick to follow up. I went to the stash and dug out the Dragon 1/6 Lee Enfield No4 rifle, as I'd recently bought a Lifecolor Guns and Weapons paint set and was keen to try it out. In the end, all I used was the dark wood colour for the stock, as all the metallics looked like shiny silver to me, and that's not what I was going for on this build.

The wood effect was done with oils, the metallic parts are Tamiya NATO Black given a rub over to bring up the sheen. Hope you like it.

enfield_zps8e3e0019.jpg

efield1_zps10e796db.jpg

enfield2_zps32b5f363.jpg

enfield6_zpscb840eeb.jpg

enfield7_zpsa0a34629.jpg

enfield4_zps52282919.jpg

enfield5_zpsd71e6ceb.jpg

I was quite pleased with how the wood grain turned out:

enfield10_zps697aa845.jpg

enfield11_zps7abaef41.jpg

enfield8_zpsfe5ba08a.jpg

enfield9_zpscb7fcb89.jpg

The bolt does actually work, but it'll only scratch the paint if I do, so I'll leave it cocked and loaded:

enfield12_zpsb67dc4ad.jpg

It comes with a couple of magazines and loads of spare ammo clips. I just did two:

enfield13_zps53bd1ddb.jpg

enfield15_zpsce856961.jpg

enfield14_zpsb4b76900.jpg

Now, what's next...?

Dean

• Like 5

Great job Dean, the wood effect came out particularly well. I think you did the right thing with the NATO black too...these rifles were never shiny in fact the ones we used were beaten up to Hell and back and looked all the better for it. My shoulder and ears are still suffering all these years later.......it was nice to have a bit of peace and quiet when the L1A1 SLR's came along !!

These look to be nice little models...lets have some more.

Looks good to me & I've used a few of these in my time, probably hence my lack of hearing on the left. :( The trigger guard & trigger are a bit thick & the butt plate could do with at least a groove around where the cleaning kit trap is but all in all pretty accurate. Your wood & metal work have come up well, I do like the nato black to present the parkerized metal. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Looks good to me & I've used a few of these in my time, probably hence my lack of hearing on the left. :( The trigger guard & trigger are a bit thick & the butt plate could do with at least a groove around where the cleaning kit trap is but all in all pretty accurate. Your wood & metal work have come up well, I do like the nato black to present the parkerized metal. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Agreed butt plate needs the cleaning kit trap and also the two prominent screws. These rifles didn't half kick when fired. I got my cadet marksman badge with one eventually.

Andy

Oops, forgot about the screws. I can remember shooting these in school cadets, 40+ years ago now, no hearing protection at all & the range in a wide gulley to throw the sound back at us.:( 10 rounds prone at 50 yards, shoulders were black & blue for days after. Try doing that to modern yoof & see what they say about it. ;):D

Steve.