Anyone produce this gun in 1:350 scale?

bootneck

I am building a Royal Navy Landing Ship Tank Mk.2 (LST2) in 1:350 for the D-Day group build but am having difficulties in finding a producer for the weapons. I "think" I have identified a source for the two bow tubs (20mm single gun?) but cannot find a source for the rear gun. The LST is an early version, allocated to the RN, and did not have many of the later weapons fits that the US LST-2's had.

The gun is depicted in the image below, which has been scanned from a book so I cannot insert a link to the image, and I would be grateful if anyone can identify the gun. Does anyone know of a producer for it in 1:350 scale?

cheers

Mike

LST_430_resized_1000_wide.jpg

Hi Niall,

that 2 pdr appears to be different to the gun on the LST2; it appears to have two components to the barrel, whereas the LST2 barrel appears to be a single piece and longer? Also the shield has a different layout in that the LST2 has a full front shield with two rectangular openings compared to the single one in the drawing? A further element is that the 2pdr has the range finders forward and external to the shield.

I do have the Mirage Flower class corvette so, if it is the gun, then you have helped me to source it for my LST2........... off into the loft now to check my Mirage kit!!

thanks

Mike

I've had a search around of the web and suspect the gun I am referring to might be a Mark V 12 pdr, however the only image I can find is this one.

No wonder nobody produces a 1:350 model of it if there aren't any images.

cheers

Mike

I've had a search around of the web and suspect the gun I am referring to might be a Mark V 12 pdr, however the only image I can find is this one.

No wonder nobody produces a 1:350 model of it if there aren't any images.

cheers

Mike

There's a shot or two of a mark V over on Navweaps.com - apparently from the museum at Woolwich. HTH.

Hi Mike,

The only reference I have of the subject quotes 6 20mm singles and 1 12-pdr for british LSTs so I think you're correct.

If it is a 12 pdr, it's a 3-inch calibre, the only sources I can think of are either the Trumpeter USS England which has a spare US pattern 3-inch mounting on the sprues or the WEM HMS havelock kit which has a 12-pdr mounting in place of the aft torpedo tubes, but also has the option of fitting both sets of tubes. Looking at the photo from the BM review, it looks like a copy of the trumpeter part to me.

Review:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68551-hms-havelock/

12-pdr gun:

http://www.britmodeller.com/reviews/wem/Havelock350/White%20metal1.jpg

Can I ask where you got the plans for the LST from? I'm also interested in building some of the D-Day landing craft and have the basic hull of an LCT-4 waiting for the desk to clear...

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I can guarantee you that our 12-pdr is NOT a copy of anyone else's gun! It was designed, along with the rest of the kit, by our own Peter "Mad Pete" Hall, and he doesn't copy anyone (and if he did, Trumpeter would be about his last choice to copy).