P-47D Thunderbolt Nose Art Collection Set

Hi

I present to you one of my best modelling bargains! I picked this set up very cheaply from a trader at a show because the canopy for the bubbletop was missing. I used one from a scrap Thunderbolt in my parts box.

The kits fall together really well, but are let down by a very basic cockpit, comprising an "armchair" and an instrument panel decal. The kits were built straight from the box, except for the simple addition of masking tape seat straps.

The bubbletop was painted with a Halfords Nissan Silver aerosol and the razorback was airbrushed with LifeColor Neutral Gray and various shades of Olive Drab. I distressed the OD with MicroMesh, which was promptly "repaired" with a coat of Klear!

All the decals looked very thick and quite discoloured, but applied easily and settled well into the surface detail with Klear. Once the decals were dry, I applied a Winsor & Newton Satin Varnish to the bubbletop and W&N Matt Varnish to the razorback.

My preference is not to over-weather my models, so I applied a Raw Umber wash which I streaked in the direction of the airflow with a cotton bud.

The most enjoyment I have ever had with £3!!

Thanks for looking.

SAM_8852_zps2b316443.jpg?t=1407580349

SAM_8853_zpsde891312.jpg?t=1407580347

SAM_8854_zps48492181.jpg?t=1407580350

SAM_8856_zps380aecd6.jpg?t=1407580350

SAM_8857_zpsab8f3140.jpg?t=1407580347

SAM_8858_zpsfa1d3b42.jpg?t=1407580350

SAM_8862_zps90914950.jpg?t=1407580350

• Like 11

A great pair, who could've turned down that bargain?! Very nicely turned out and they look great with your minimalistic weathering. Another great pair for the display.

• Like 1

The Hasegawa P-47s in 1/72 are about 40 years old so you can't really blame them for a degree of simplicity in the cockpit typical of the era. I still rate the kits highly and pick them up whenever I find them cheap (usually early boxings are ridiculously good bargains at shows).

Yours look excellent and show why I like th kits so much!

Edited by Work In Progress

brilliant ,,,

love them :)

Thanks Alex. I'm pleased you like them.

Hello

Very Nice Jug ! Superb work

Thanks Pascal. They were nice, easy builds.

A great pair, who could've turned down that bargain?! Very nicely turned out and they look great with your minimalistic weathering. Another great pair for the display.

Thanks Parabat - a bargain indeed at £1.50 per 'bolt!

Very pleasing result - both of them.

Well done.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Mike. I'm pleased you them.

The Hasegawa P-47s in 1/72 are about 40 years old so you can't really blame them for a degree of simplicity in the cockpit typical of the era. I still rate the kits highly and pick them up whenever I find them cheap (usually early boxings are ridiculously good bargains at shows).

Yours look excellent and show why I like th kits so much!

Thanks for replying, Work in Progress. I had no idea that the tools were so old, but like you, I think that they build into great little replicas with almost limitless marking options!

• 2 months later...