British PowerBoat Co. 71' 6" Gunboat from Coastal Crafts...

OK, a serious rush of blood to the head and I ordered one of Coastal Craft Models BPB co. Gunboats. For my money one of the most handsome of the 'short' boats. Not a cheap kit but it's complete, etch etc. it's all there and if you want a BPB co gunboat it's currently the only game in town!

IMG_8092_zps6de93e8b.jpg

Nice tough box with everything boxed and bagged including a colour instruction book.

The bits:

bpb71-6_4_zps8e44a953.jpg

bpb71-6_2_zpsd03bf9db.jpg

I decided to behave myself and follow the instructions - I read the whole booklet, which also gives the history of the beastie.

Roughly cut the transom and epoxied it on, final shaping followed. There's a supplied template to mark the exhausts.

I did find that the starboard rubbing strip, halfway down the hull ended up a bit low so chiselled off a couple of inches and replaced it with a bit of strip.

Glued the deck to the hull... Lots of clamps and overnight epoxy.

IMG_8125_zps12e9ffb0.jpg

...and I did a bit of painting yesterday...

bpb71-6_5_zps78b310d8.jpg

It's interesting to note that H. Scott-Paine got talked out of the whale back hull and strong reverse sheer, he so loved by his designer who pointed out that it was weak. The American PT boats ended up with the same shape as well. I've also read that reverse sheer ain't so good in big seas as the nose digs in and stays there...

So far I'm enjoying this build it's my 5th resin model so I'm still a bit new to this game. I really want this to come out well as it'll go so well with my Vosper and RAF ASR boat.

• Like 6

I will be watching this closely Seadog as I bought one at Telford 2 years(?) ago and have only fondled and admired the parts since!

I nearly got their Fairmile D last year but resisted....just. Good luck with this.

Mick

Yes, pretty nice resin casting, eh? Can't see any pin'oles. I will however need to bend the stern of the cabin trunk down to match the curve of the deck, fore and aft, which worries me, it's not a lot, a couple of mm, but I always worry with resin that I'm going to snap it!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, well, slow progress due to trying to get Vosper 355 finished...However, the Hull is now painted and the cabin(?) is sitting there painted and in need of a tiny bit of fettling for fit before it gets epoxied down. Then there's a myriad of cleats, boxes etc. to add to the deck and superstructure. I love the way this boat looks, a bit Art-Deco / modernist. Designed to look fast, heck of a contrast to the Vosper!

IMG_8196_zps50dc0e71.jpg

She could really do with an interior in the wheelhouse/chartroom but I can find no interior shots anywhere, unlike his plans for the Vospers, Lambert doesn't, to my knowledge have any plans of the interior. Shame, because those are pretty big windows.

• Like 5

Just love it!

Going to be seriously tempted by one of theses at Telford. Can't make up my mind between the Mk V & the Mk VI armed with the 2pdr and twin oerlikon. The Mk VI with the 6 pdr auto doesn't look right, the 6 pdr stuck on the front of an MTB looks seriously ugly.

Kev

Yes, looks a bit over-gunned - almost seems a shame toput any guns on it! Kind of like those first Hunters - before they stuck on the 'Sabrinas'...

• Like 1

I'll be following along too. My Grandad was RNVR during the war, and spent some time on these - I wish I'd managed to spend some talking to him about his wartime experiences, but he lived in the UK, I grew up in Australia...

Rob: I know what you mean. My Dad was in the RAF and until the last few years of his life didn't talk about it much.

Kev, ta for looking. I spoke to Martin at Coastal Craft and they haven't managed, as yet to find any pics or plans for the interior, but he tells me it was solely used as a chartroom so I may try to cobble up a table or something... :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

Evening, Been doing a bit more. Too damn hot outside to do anything, so... Lots of little bits and pieces going on to utterly spoil those lovely lines! Certrainly starting to look interesting though...

IMG_8223_zps0bc05eaf.jpg

IMG_8224_zpsccc41f93.jpg

The Kelly Clear-vue screens were fun... as was cutting acetate to fit the windows. As the interior of the chart room is a bit of a closed book, I just added a chart table sort of thing and left it at that. The kit comes with bollards for mooring points, which Martin reckons is as good a guess as any, I'm not arguing. However I was looking at one of those wonderful smudgy old pics on the web and I've convinced myself that the bow and stern points are cleats, with a pair of bollards amidships. Of course I may be discerning things that aren,t there.... Anyway, she's coming on nicely and I'm enjoying the build, at times challenging, but hey, are we modellers or assemblers? :D

PS - that breakwater was quite a job to fit, a third hand would have been useful. sometimes 10 fingers (or thumbs in my case) are just not enough.

• Like 6

Here's the 2 pounder...so far. decided to get detailing some extras.- got a few more details to add before my eyes go on strike. researching the gun and mount is tricky because the mounts changed several times...this represents a Mk XV, which was the first power mount used, then it goes to the MkXVI which is somewhat more enclosed....etc. etc. Which boat had which mount? Modified? Sheesh. Oh well it keeps me out of Carlos' Mid Mondego Café....

IMG_8232_zps7dd614b3.jpg

IMG_8233_zpsa09823cf.jpg

• Like 2

I rather feel, and I may have said it before, that I should do a snagging list of all those little, easily forgotten bits and pieces that need to go on! hings like rope in those basket efforts, since that's what they were for...

IMG_8236_zps83bf9837.jpg

I've mocked up a load of shells for the 2-pounder as well using little bits of brass wire.

IMG_8237_zps513647c5.jpg

Before I go much further, and really, it's something I should have already done, is make the base for it. Having the model on a base when you're adding fragile stuff, like the mast helps keep things from getting knocked off.

• Like 2

No joystick that I can see on the plans, I will have a go at pipework - juast now I have to look to house and garden work as SWMBO gets back on Thursday after 3 weeks Grandaughter sitting in Blighty....My eyes need a break anyway!

I assume that's the 2Pdr that is carried in the bigger ships in 4 and 8 config.

Looks much bigger on a smaller boat.

Nice job :thumbsup2::popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

Yes it does! It was actually quite big - over 9 ft. in length, including the flash hider...and then they replaced it on the later boats with a six pounder! I don't feel I'm really doing a good enough job on this one, yet. It's all a bit untidy. Before I'm done I shall have to do a fair bit of tidying. I'm going to have, as I said to Kev a house and garden work break, and I really need to get a base sorted for it. I want to do a sea-base but haven't decided on the right technique and approach to do what I see in my fevered imagination...

• Like 1

Started work on a base this afternoon....I have absolutely no idea whether this will work or not....

base_01_zps177911f4.jpg

A load of Lime offcuts glued down..... This pile of firewood is now drying. The work area is, is...a total tip.

slut_zpsaf0e69c4.jpg

I'll clean up tomorrow morning, honest!

• Like 3

Bloody 'ell Bloomin' 'eck, he's got a framing thingamy-jig whatsit! That's organised, that is!

Dunno about organised, but I paint as well and can't afford custom framing, so anyone who buys one of my paintings gets a genooine recycled pine strip frame....I even have a little gizmo for knocking in corner staple thingies. Anyway, not sure how anyone could ever accuse me of being organised - look at that last pic again! :yikes:

• Like 1