Revell 1/24 Redbull RB-8 ***COMPLETE***

Hi Everyone,

This is going to be one of my priority projects and to be honest I am dreading it. I am even calling it Oh god, here we go again.

This is Revell's 1/24 Redbull RB8 kit which I have previously attempted but had problems with the rear wing assembly.

Anyway here are the photos of the kit.

Body_zps215e2650.jpg

SprueA_zps0c1d4f20.jpg

SprueB_zps64c9612b.jpg

SprueC_zpsb2e556e3.jpg

SprueD_zps090a6933.jpg

SprueE_zps4c7bbbb1.jpg

SprueG_zpsfdfa86da.jpg

SprueH_zps3222426c.jpg

Anyway, when I start on this kit I will post photos, I hope this goes better than the first attempt I am going to work out the rear wing assembly (I'm not sure how to make it fit without wrecking the decals for the wing and also get the wing fitted together right on the body of the car).

If anyone has any suggestions for this kit, please post them here.

Cheers,
Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

I hope you get the rear wing sorted out,iam looking foreward to this build,must say i hate the colour plastic they have used, why not stick to plain grey as in my opinion its a much better medium.

Dave

I hope you get the rear wing sorted out,iam looking foreward to this build,must say i hate the colour plastic they have used, why not stick to plain grey as in my opinion its a much better medium.Dave

Thanks Dave,

This is the 2nd kit have had. Revell sent me a replacement kit due to the fault with the original rear wing section wrecking decals.

I will post as soon as I have done any work on it.

The kit is currently air drying after a warm water wash.

I agree the plastic colour is awful.

Cheers,

Rick

It might be worth constructing the rear wing first. It obviously makes painting and decaling harder but may provide you with a better finish. If the decals go in and around parts if the wind you could always cut them into smaller pieces and try to join the edges on the wing?

• Like 1

F1 Revell kit are not the best kits !!!!!!!!!!!

I have build one Ferrari F1 2000 and it was very hard ,but with some work and a lot of patience .Kit not for beginner

Model build OOTB

743218IMG0203.jpg

Thanks lascar,

I know what you mean as I have built 2 other Revell F1 cars.

It might be worth constructing the rear wing first. It obviously makes painting and decaling harder but may provide you with a better finish. If the decals go in and around parts if the wind you could always cut them into smaller pieces and try to join the edges on the wing?

Thanks eslu,

That is a very good suggestion, I will try that with this kit and see how it goes.

Rick

I'd love to have a go at an F1 in the future once my skills improve, especially the RB's but have been scared away from Revell since I attempted their BMW Mini for my wife and it was a nightmare.

While I enjoy seeing how other people deal with problem kits I don't have either the skills or patience to sort out problems that shouldn't be there. Minor issues I can happily ignore or attempt a bodge but major stuff like that Mini make me throw the whole thing out and go buy something from Tamiya

Good luck with the build, I hope the issues aren't present in this one

I'd love to have a go at an F1 in the future once my skills improve, especially the RB's but have been scared away from Revell since I attempted their BMW Mini for my wife and it was a nightmare.

While I enjoy seeing how other people deal with problem kits I don't have either the skills or patience to sort out problems that shouldn't be there. Minor issues I can happily ignore or attempt a bodge but major stuff like that Mini make me throw the whole thing out and go buy something from Tamiya

Good luck with the build, I hope the issues aren't present in this one

There is a Tamiya Red Bull F1 car to try as well

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've decided on my approach for this build, the body and rear wing of this kit will be built up, painted and decaled before applying them to the body of the car.

I will be building the chassis separately to the main body.

Hopefully everything will go perfectly this time.

Photos later.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

I have completed stages 1 - 14 of the assembly and painting of this kit (photos below) .

I have also completed the assembly of the rear wing unit (minus paint and decals). I have tested it in the position on the car's chassis plate and it appears to be a correct fit.

Anyway onto the photos of the first 14 stages.

Stage 1

Stage1_zpsec698832.jpg

Stage 2

Stage2_zps539d5b7e.jpg

Stage 3

Stage3_zps29fc22d4.jpg

Stage 4

Stage4_zpsa9bc9280.jpg

Stage 5

Stage5_zps58da6efc.jpg

Stage 6

Stage6_zpsda77d26a.jpg

Stage 7

Stage7_zpsb41cf90d.jpg

Stage 8

Stage8_zps20056b18.jpg

Stage 9

Stage9_zpse6e92a53.jpg

Stage 10

Stage10_zpsa970eb69.jpg

Stage 11

Stage11_zpsb1c3fd9a.jpg

Stage 12

Stage12_zps8974abda.jpg

Stage 13

Stage13nodecals_zps3ae4017e.jpg

Stage 14

Stage14_zps869f34cb.jpg

As most of the components that I have painted are on the inside of the car, I have not taken as much care as normal to paint them fully, some of the paint may look a bit thin, this is because these components are hidden from view.

Comments welcome.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is the latest update for this project.

Rear Wing Test Fit:

RearWingtestfitcloseup_zpsa6de37f6.jpg

Rearwingtestfitfull_zps9b5a5676.jpg

Stage 13 (with carbon decals)

Stage13withdecals_zps901c3feb.jpg

Stages 15 & 16

Stages1516_zpsa024d51e.jpg

Stage 17

Stage17_zps6a67a53d.jpg

Stage 18

Stage18_zps808e5d54.jpg

Stage 19

Stage19_zpsa4ae417a.jpg

Stage 20

Stage20_zpse3c49650.jpg

Stage 24

Stage24_zps5231104b.jpg

Stage 25

Stage25_zpsbaae5ad3.jpg

Stage 32

Stage32_zpsc9ed359d.jpg

Stage 33

Stage33_zps5cbf5de0.jpg

Anyway thats all for now. I've gotta go out and get some primer for the body of this car as for some reason the paint doesn't want to stick to the body.

More progress later today (hopefully).

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is the photo update for tonight.

Unfortunately, it is not as large as I would have hoped for as I realised that the painting of the main body of the car wasn't good enough so I have had to stop any progress whilst the recoated body dries.

Anyyway here are a few photos showing what little work I have got done.

Stage 26

Stage26part1fromabove_zpscd57a9c2.jpg

Stage26part1frombelow_zps4ff2d68a.jpg

Stages 48-51 - Rear wing assembly & Decal application

Stages48-51pic1_zps860b2354.jpg

Stages48-51pic2_zps3832cf92.jpg

Stages48-51pic3_zpsee78d703.jpg

Stages48-51pic4_zps4ea4761e.jpg

Anyway thats all for tonight, disappointing I know.

But I might have something in the morning, as I am going to jump ahead and get to work on some of the later stages of the build by preparing other components.

Rick

Hi everyone,

I have made lots of progress on this build tonight.

I have now got stages up to 40 complete.

It actually looks like a car.

I will post some photos at some point tomorrow as I have got to start applying decals etc to the body now.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is the latest update for this kit.

This is all the work I got done last night.

Anyway onto the photos.

Stage 26 complete

Stage26part2_zpse03cd222.jpg

Stage 27

Stage27_zps4d3666e9.jpg

Stage 28

Stage28_zps8fd797b3.jpg

Stage 29

Stage29_zps7ab00b44.jpg

Stage 30

Stage30_zpsb26daac4.jpg

Stage 31

Stage31_zpscb458a6e.jpg

Stage 34

Stage34_zpsaa512ac3.jpg

Stages 35 + 36

Stages3536_zpsadabd9a7.jpg

Stage 37

Stage37_zpsdcda5b78.jpg

Aside from some touch up painting on the yellow intake sections the body assembly is mostly complete.

More photos as I progress further.

Thanks for looking,

Rick

Stage 38

Stage38_zps34c6fd2f.jpg

Full Progress Shot

FullProgressShot_zps6f955380.jpg

PAINTING UPDATE:

By all accounts it appears that I have just completed the painting of this kits components.

I have got to start setting up for final assembly and decal application, which is tomorrow's job, so at some point tomorrow I will be posting the last update with an RFI thread before the end of the weekend.

Rick

Looking good so far rick. Got a couple of questions, did you decal and then fix the rear wing together or did you bond it together, paint it then decal it? If you decaled it last did you have to alter the inner decal? What paint did you use for the yellow on the top air box?

• Like 1

Looking good so far rick. Got a couple of questions, did you decal and then fix the rear wing together or did you bond it together, paint it then decal it? If you decaled it last did you have to alter the inner decal? What paint did you use for the yellow on the top air box?

Hi eslu,

Thanks for the comments.

I did build the rear wing first, then paint and decal it. To do the inner decals I had to cut the decals into 2 portions (1 for above the wing and 1 below), I did this by cutting them along the slots that are in the decals for the wings to be fitted into. I also had to give the bottom of the decals a small cut to fit them around the bottom wing plate.

The yellow paint on the airbox is a Revell acrylic - Lufthansa Yellow (I will post the code number later today).

More progress later as I am aiming to complete this build over the weekend.

Cheers,

Rick

PROGRESS UPDATE

I am working on the final assembly of this kit by building the front wing and decalling all of the main body panels. I have constructed all four of the wheels.

I will be posting photos of the progress at some point, probably tomorrow morning.

Rick