Dragon 1/9 Iron Patriot ***BACK IN BUSINESS***

Hi Everyone,

Here is another of my upcoming projects : Dragon's 1:9 scale Iron Patriot kit.

I will be painting this kit with primarily Tamiya Acrylic Paints : Clear Red, Titanium Silver, Metallic Blue, Steel (Revell Acrylic).

The major differences between this kit and the Iron Man Mark III that I have are that a sheet of decals is supplied along with a very large gun.

Anyway here are the photos of the kit.

Boxart_zps36c3334a.jpg

DisplayStand_zpsb34866ea.jpg

Sprue5_zps143b2d1a.jpg

Sprue8_zps7305a722.jpg

Sprue6_zpsca57e09c.jpg

Sprue7_zps8e45e1f4.jpg

Sprue4_zps3d170fd1.jpg

Sprue2_zps3741855f.jpg

Sprue1_zpsaccbf2c8.jpg

Sprue3_zpsd8c4f2dd.jpg

Anyway I will post progress photos once I have started on this kit.

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 4

Hi Everyone,

Here are the photos of the first 6 stages of construction.

Stage 1

Stage1_zpsee7ae052.jpg

Stage 2

Stage2_zpsaad1d326.jpg

Stage 3

Stage3_zps91e95366.jpg

Stage 4

Stage4_zps97537db9.jpg

Stage 5

Stage5_zps8801fcb7.jpg

Stage 6

Stage6_zpsda60ec95.jpg

Thanks for looking.

More progress photos to follow.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 3

Hi Everyone,

Here are the photos of the completely assembled Iron Patriot kit.

Stage 7

Stage7_zps1a24e2f3.jpg

Stage 8

Stage8_zps17f41e74.jpg

Stage 10 assembly (minus gun)

Stage10minusgun_zpsb50c3d03.jpg

Iron Patriot (Left) with Mark III kit (Right)

IronPatriotLeftwithMarkIIIRight_zps76d61

Anyway I will be getting on with the painting of this kit in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking,

Rick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Here is the latest update on this kit. The kit is painted Silver.

IronPatriot_zpsd79b3d41.jpg

I have been unable to do anymore painting to it as the display stand plastic holder for the kit has broken and now doesn't hold the kit properly (it started to break his foot).

I'm just wondering if anyone has a spare stand for this kit or if anyone has a suggestion how I can make this stand work without destroying the model by falling over.

I won't be able to work on this kit until the stand is fixed so gotta figure something out.

If anyone can suggest anything I would appreciate it.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I have been unable to do anymore painting to it as the display stand plastic holder for the kit has broken and now doesn't hold the kit properly (it started to break his foot).

I'm just wondering if anyone has a spare stand for this kit or if anyone has a suggestion how I can make this stand work without destroying the model by falling over.

I won't be able to work on this kit until the stand is fixed so gotta figure something out.

If anyone can suggest anything I would appreciate it.

Rick

Rick,

I'm not sure how much room you have got around the foot but you could try using a piece of brass tube/rod of a suitable size and epoxy that into the foot underneath which would also help to strengthen it. Make sure that you leave it long enough to go through the base then you can epoxy a second piece of tubing into the base so that you can slide the piece in the foot into it.

Albion Alloys do tubes that slide over each other so that would be a good place to start. HTH

• Like 1

Rick,

I'm not sure how much room you have got around the foot but you could try using a piece of brass tube/rod of a suitable size and epoxy that into the foot underneath which would also help to strengthen it. Make sure that you leave it long enough to go through the base then you can epoxy a second piece of tubing into the base so that you can slide the piece in the foot into it.

Albion Alloys do tubes that slide over each other so that would be a good place to start. HTH

Thanks John,

Unfortunately the stand for this kit has a rod which actually fits into the boot of the model.

My dad has a suggestion to fit a piece of wood into place underneath the stand with a hole drilled into place to hold the rod.

I will definately look into your suggestion if my dad's suggestion doesn't work.

Cheers,

Rick

• 1 month later...

I will be back in business on this kit by the end of today as I am taking this kit to my dads to fix the stand this afternoon.

Photos showing how to repair it later.

Hoping to start painting soon.

Rick

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

To repair the display stand, my dad cut 3 pieces of wood into the shape of the stand segments and then glued them into place. 2 of them were to act as ballast to weigh the stand down whilst the 3rd had a hole drilled in it to take the stand rod for the model which now stands up without any additional help on the base. See picture 1.

He then put a thin piece of wood inside the base itself to seal everything up. See picture 2.

Photo0057_zps71545b0f.jpg

Photo0058_zps9abf0de7.jpg

I will now be able to continue with the painting of this kit to get it finished.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get some work done on this during today, whilst the RB-8 I am working on dries.

I am particularly nervous about this because of all the different colours to be used on the different panels.

Might have some photos later.

Rick

Good to see that you have been able to resolve the base issues Rick. Looking forward to seeing it finished now.

Cheers Nimrod,

I will be starting to work on the final painting of this kit, now that I have finished my Redbull commission build.

Photos once the painting is underway.

Rick

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at this kit in between working on my ZX-14 build and have to admit about being slightly nervous about the paint scheme, it's very complicated.

To that end, I am thinking about making him into a War Machine version but without all of the weapons that War Machine used to carry. I particularly like the colour scheme. See picture below. This picture was taken from Andy C's completed build thread from 2013 (hope you don't mind me borrowing it Andy).

007_zps51be90f0.jpg

What does everybody think ?

Cheers,

Rick

hiya,

I've got IP in my stash too and after building heartbreaker armor (which was painted before putting together) started thinking about solution for patriot.

looking at your build can say you are half way through at least. Silver/metallic areas are small after all according to painting scheme - so could be masked off first and whole model painted either red or blue then next color masked off and last one applied.... that was my idea how to proceed with the painting scheme.....

maybe itl'l help maybe not, but am curious about the outcome :)

Cheers :nuke:

hiya,

I've got IP in my stash too and after building heartbreaker armor (which was painted before putting together) started thinking about solution for patriot.

looking at your build can say you are half way through at least. Silver/metallic areas are small after all according to painting scheme - so could be masked off first and whole model painted either red or blue then next colour masked off and last one applied.... that was my idea how to proceed with the painting scheme.....

maybe itl'l help maybe not, but am curious about the outcome :)

Cheers :nuke:

Thanks hetzer,

I'm still not sure about the paint scheme for the Iron Patriot.

I will have to think about it before I attempt it.

Rick

• 2 months later...

I have not touched this kit since January as I have been nervous about the paint job.

I have now built the gun and this one is back on the radar for final painting.

Photos at some pont over the next week.

Hi Everyone,

Here is the picture of the gun assembly for the Iron Patriot.

I have assembled it because some of the parts of the gun are painted red, whilst others are black.

IMG_6801_zpsppblzfnt.jpg

More photos to follow when I start painting the kit.

Rick