"...none more black..."

NickR

Topic title lost on non Spinal Tap fans I would think (here if interested) but in essence I want to do the opposite to the black refered in the clip.

I have read that, in scale, black is rarely true black. I want to paint a Tucano in black and, given the scale arguement, wonder what the best proprietry black or mix to use would be?

Cheers

To be honest, I think that Tucano finish is one of the few that should probably really BE black. It's glossy, and very black on all the aircraft I've seen both flying and close up. The "scale effect" argument IMHO applies more to different "surface textures" meaning that black rarely looks completely black because the surface scatters light. I use different "blacks" for areas of plastic, leather, rubber etc a car interior, and rubber black for tyres etc on aircraft or armour, but a think a clean, shiny, black painted surface really IS as close to black black as you'll get...

bestest,

M.

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about Tucanos, but I am the proud owner of the Black Album CD (really just the soundtrack to This Is Spinal Tap). I've been a regular "Taphead" since way back when. The Tap rocks!

Regards,

Jason

"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

- Spinal Tap

Black paint on cars, aeroplanes etc is black. "Natural" blacks as found in non-painted things aren't that sort of "true" black (which is why black paint looks wrong). I use/used a mixture of burnt sienna/burnt umber and french ultramarine as a black mix.