Firebirds Lightning F.1A - bashing the Trumpeter thing into shape

Lightning F.1A 56 Squadron ‘Firebirds’

RAF Wattisham 1963

XM17401.jpg

When I heard about the new Sword Lightning F1 and F3 I thought I had better dig out those Trumpeter kits and do something with them or they would stay in the attic forever. So here is the result of a bit of work on the Trumpeter F.1A. I had heard so many bad things about this kit that I considered just throwing it away, but actually with not that much effort it can be made to look like a Lightning. There were only 3 main modifications which were a) replacing the exhausts with Aeroclub resin, B) sorting out the main undercarriage (shortened by 2.5 mm and doors twisted round to their right position) and c) bending the wings to remove that strange dihedral effect and trying to introduce a bit of droop. Admittedly it was almost impossible to introduce the characteristic kink in the leading edge (see the new Airfix kit) but my old Airfix and Hasegawa Lightnings don’t have that and they look OK to me.

It was really nice to have a Firebirds Lightning back in my collection – my old Airfix one got refurbished as a Tigers F1 a few years ago. Decals were a combination of Model Alliance (nose bars and fin flash), Airfix decals from their new kit (roundels), kit decals (squadron badge on the fin and stencils) and Xtradecal (serial numbers and fin code).

XM17402.jpg

XM17403.jpg

XM17404.jpg

XM17405.jpg

XM17406.jpg

XM17407.jpg

XM17408.jpg

XM17409.jpg

• Like 12

Very nice, you have certainly improved the look of the base kit. Once I've got a white tail to go with my black one I might be tempted by a visiting red one!

I never finished any of my Trumpton Lightnings and don't suppose I ever will now. They have lovely surface detail and the plastic is smoother than the Airfix kit too.

Duncan B

Very nice, you have certainly improved the look of the base kit. Once I've got a white tail to go with my black one I might be tempted by a visiting red one!

I never finished any of my Trumpton Lightnings and don't suppose I ever will now. They have lovely surface detail and the plastic is smoother than the Airfix kit too.

Duncan B

Red, white, blue, black, black & yellow

XM17407.jpg

LightningsTornadoF3018.jpg

LightningsTornadoF3026.jpg

LightningsTornadoF3005.jpg

LightningsTornadoF3011.jpg

XM165006.jpg

• Like 8

To my untrained eye (not my period, really) it certainly looks like a Lightning, and a convincing one at that!

Nice work and a good pedagogic example of how to radically improve a kit with fairly minor operations.

Quite impressive.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Very nice Chris. Quite apt seeing as it was the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the Lightning on Monday and completely over looked!

Very nice Chris. Quite apt seeing as it was the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the Lightning on Monday and completely over looked!

Hello Paul - I missed the anniversary as well - but I'm pleased to say I finished XM174 on that very day!

What a fantastic collection of lovely Lightnings :thumbsup: great detail and weathering on them too :goodjob:

Jon

Superb build and a lovely collection of lightnings. I particularly like 'witches hat' marks, especially because of the great colour schemes, and especially the Firebirds. How did the Aeroclub section fit? I have used the Aires replacement set on Trumpeter's F3 but I found it difficult to get a seamless fit from it.

Please forgive me for showing my ignorance, but this is the 1/32 kit, yes?

I bought it some years ago and have been saving it for when my skills improve a bit but BTH I have been a bit put off by all the very negative reviews that it receives. I even thought of selling it on recently but couldn't bear to, I love the Lightning and a big 1/32 kit really gets me excited!

Not only that but I also love the colourful 56 Squadron schemes and have happy memories of their Tornado displays in the nineties.

I'm so glad you managed to get such an excellent result and you seem to have proven that it can be done with not tooooo much effort, tho possibly too much for me!!!

Always assuming I've got the right scale that is!!!!

(If not please ignore all of the above and I'll stand in the corner)

Nice one BTW

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

Superb build and a lovely collection of lightnings. I particularly like 'witches hat' marks, especially because of the great colour schemes, and especially the Firebirds. How did the Aeroclub section fit? I have used the Aires replacement set on Trumpeter's F3 but I found it difficult to get a seamless fit from it.

The Aeroclub resin fitted pretty well, but it's designed to faired in with Milliput because the exhaust Trumpeter waisting goes too far forward and needs filling.

Please forgive me for showing my ignorance, but this is the 1/32 kit, yes?

I bought it some years ago and have been saving it for when my skills improve a bit but BTH I have been a bit put off by all the very negative reviews that it receives. I even thought of selling it on recently but couldn't bear to, I love the Lightning and a big 1/32 kit really gets me excited!

Not only that but I also love the colourful 56 Squadron schemes and have happy memories of their Tornado displays in the nineties.

I'm so glad you managed to get such an excellent result and you seem to have proven that it can be done with not tooooo much effort, tho possibly too much for me!!!

Always assuming I've got the right scale that is!!!!

(If not please ignore all of the above and I'll stand in the corner)

Nice one BTW

TonyS

It's time to stand in the corner - it's 1/72, not 1/32! But havingsaid that, as far as I know the 32 scale kit has similar issues to the smaller one so would probably respond to similar treatment - except that there's no 1/32 scale resin for the back end.

The Aeroclub resin fitted pretty well, but it's designed to faired in with Milliput because the exhaust Trumpeter waisting goes too far forward and needs filling.

Right. In that case I think I might persevere with the second Aires set that I have on the Trumpeter F1A. Seems a bit extravagant to buy yet another correction piece when the Sword kits are just around the corner. I'll still build it though. Despite the errors in the kit it still looks like a Lightning (-ish). Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Tim