++Completed++ 1/48 Grand Phoenix FJ-4B Fury

oh today was a wonderful day.......the land gear finally arrived from its world tour!! :yahoo:

I had already painted the old one just in case. As can be seen the kit ones are wrong (LH one of each pair), the mains are fully extended where they should be compressed as seen on a normally parked Fury. The kit nose wheel actually turned out ok after a bit of work so I’ll probably use that one.

undercarriage_zpsd6fe70ca.jpg

The beasty was given a good coat of clear ready for the decaling. The decals are quite nice but fun to work with. They’re nice a thin but require setting solution to adhere but as soon as you use a wee bit of setting solution they go very soft! Had a few heart stopping moments as a result, plus the decals on the top of the wings had to be cut in half so as to go over the wing fences......lots of fun.

Once completed though she looks awesome, so glad I went for this colour scheme.

DSCF1988_zpsd92c5d16.jpg

DSCF1989_zps4484267b.jpg

The pylon configuration is as per photo’s I have of its sister aircraft. She’s fitted with one drop tank, a really knocked around one at that, on the middle pylon plus single empty outer pylon, probably ready for the target rig.

DSCF1990_zps7d648b28.jpg

DSCF1991_zps7f04f60e.jpg

Tomorrow it’ll have a final top coat then some panel lining and a wee bit of weathering, not much as these aircraft looked to be kept in good condition. Then just the final bit and pieces which always seen to take forever, with luck should be done and dusted by Wednesday....yeehaa.

• Like 3

well I’m calling this one done....finally!

It’s not been the easiest model I’ve done that’s for sure, at times in the beginning I was sure it was heading into the rubbish or “box of doom” at the very least. In the end I’m quite surprised that it came out as well as it did.

The final details like the rest of the build caused issue, some my doing but mostly the poor quality of the model. Due to the poor/no existent fit of the intake, lots of grinding had to be done to get it all to fit. Well this resulted in the structure for the nose wheel and intake to become very week and of cause the nose wheel strut ended up going through the intake! :doh: Too much work at this late stage to fix so what to do.......intake cover! So a quick intake and exhaust cover and sorted. There were quite a few other little issues to sort out but the end result is quite pleasing.

DSCF1999_zps2dea8fa9.jpg

DSCF1994_zpsc81a87a0.jpg

DSCF2007_zps1fccd254.jpg

I would not recommend this model to anyone who’s wanting a nice simple quick build! Even as short run models goes this one is hard work, made even more so by the warped fuselage. I have a second one in the stash and I’m in no hurry to build that one even though its fuselage is completely straight.

Thanks to all who followed this build and their kind words, as always they are appreciated. I'll put most of the photos in the gallery and WIP sections.

• Like 5