DFW C.V Late Production

Viking

DFW C.V Late Production
1:32 Wingnut Wings

Boxtop.jpg

The Deutsche Flugzeug-Werke (DFW) C.V is one of those lesser known aircraft that deserves wider recognition. Upon entering service in the latter part of 1916, it soon became apparent that here was an exceptionally good aircraft. It was tough, easy to fly, had good rates of climb, speed, manoeuvrability, and was also comparatively easy to maintain.

As experience was gained, the D.V showed itself to be a true multi role machine; it was used for reconnaissance, artillery observation, bombing, as a two-seat fighter/ground attack aircraft and trainer. Little wonder then that within a few months of reaching the front line that over 1,000 had been ordered. Production had to be shared between DFW, Aviatik, LVG, and Halberstadt in order to meet the demand. By the wars end the DFW C.V had become the Germans most produced aircraft, with close to 3,250 having been produced.

There have not been many kits of this aircraft other than a few limited run examples, so Wingnut Wings latest release is very welcome. It comes packaged in their usual sturdy box with its classy silver edging, and a beautiful Steve Anderson painting of a C.V pursuing a Sopwith Camel. (I just love the presentation of Wingnut Wings kits, perhaps they could be persuaded to include or sell box art prints, so we could frame them). Two kits of the DFW C.V have been released, in 'Mid production' and 'Late production' formats. The differences are few, the most noticeable one being the move of the 'Elephant ear' radiators from the sides of the fuselage to the top of the forward cabane struts on the late production version.

The box is satisfyingly weighty and absolutely packed to the brim with sprues, and so far I have been very careful to remove and replace them one at a time in exactly the order they came in. I'm sure that I put them back in out of sequence, I'd never get the lid back on!

The instruction booklet is like no other manufacturer will provide. It has so much information backed up with period photographs, that it is a reference manual in its own right.

Instr2.jpg

[Edit 12/08/2014] I have just noticed that WNW have issued a correction to the instructions on their website HERE.It is worth looking at because it now recommends that the undercarriage must be fitted before the lower wings. It is always worth checking their website for details of the particular model you are about to build. They are very good about publishing any changes and/or corrections that might have come to light. [/EDIT]

Time for a closer look.

Sprue A.
Mostly interior components, bulkheads and frames. All are moulded without flash or sink marks, and lovely sharp detail. It will build up into a very complete representation of the real thing, and the precise fit of all components is virtually guaranteed. Of the dozen or so Wingnuts kits I have so far built, completing the interior is one of the most satisfying stages (along with completing the engine), and it is almost a shame to close the fuselage around it.
I particularly like the interior bomb rack in the observers compartment on this one, and will certainly be fitting it on my model.

SprueA.jpg

SprueA-det.jpg

Sprue B.
Here we have the fuselage halves and some of its external fittings. The real fuselage was largely skinned in ply with doped fabric covering. Apart from the nose area there were few lumps, bumps, brackets panels etc., and this is reflected in the smooth surface detail of the two halves.

SprueB.jpg

The mouldings are again sharp, and I am intrigued by the louvers on the cowling components. There are actually open louvers on them, and I can't see how you could make a mould to do that.

SprueB-det.jpg

Sprue C.
The optional windshields. Crystal clear without any flaws. Perfect.

SprueC.jpg

Sprue D.
Two are supplied to cover all the elements that are duplicated such as wheels and struts. Even the lettering on the tyres is finely moulded and easily readable.

SprueD.jpg

Sprue E and G1.
The 230hp Benz Bz.IV is on this one, again featuring some beautiful moulding. There are two sets of cylinder mouldings, with and without moulded on pushrods. However the engine assembly instructions make a point of noting not to use the 'plain' (E10 & E11) ones, although I can't see why, if you fitted your own pushrods.
Wingnuts engines always build into beautiful little models of their own, and I often start with them as they are so enjoyable to build.

G1 supplies the Spandau guns in 2 formats. The high detail versions are fitted with photo etched cooling jackets and sights, but if you are not confident of building these, then solid plastic versions are supplied as alternatives.

SprueEG1.jpg

SprueE-det.jpg

Sprue F.
Here we have the upper and lower wings, all moulded as single components. All the rigging attachment points are moulded in, with sockets to accept the interplane struts and ensure you get nice strong attachment points. The scalloped 'wire' trailing edges are nicely done, and wafer thin.

SprueF.jpg

Sprue G3.
Generic sprues contained in several of Wingnut Wings German kits. G3 is extremely useful, with propellers, ladders, flare racks and pistols, cameras, and all sorts of items to detail your 2 seater with, even a teddy bear!

SprueG3.jpg

Sprue H, I, J, K, & O.
Showing great attention to detail, Wingnut Wings have provided 4 separate sprues to deal with the variations on cowlings and inspection panels between the various manufacturers who produced the C.V. Sprue 'H' covers LVG, 'I' Halberstadt, 'J' Aviatik, and 'K' DFW. These are all noted in the instructions at the appropriate points.
Sprue O provides 3 choices of propeller and the 'chimney' exhaust pipes appropriate for this 'late' version of the aircraft.

SprueHO.jpg

And just to show Wingnuts attention to detail and clarity of instruction, here is how they show you how to deal with the options;

Instr1.jpg

Sprue L and N.
These 2 small sprues hold all the parts that distinguish the 'Late production' version from the 'Mid production' version. The most obvious is are the cabane struts withe radiator support brackets, and interestingly one set of these is marked as 'not for use', so it looks like another version of this kit is in the pipeline.

All the tail elements and ailerons are on 'N'. Like the wings these are single mouldings (i.e. not 'top and bottom' halves) with fine trailing edges. Again the mouldings are free from blemishes and sink marks, and I particularly like the way that the attachment points are located on faces that will not be seen on the finished model. It is a small point, but sometimes removing and cleaning up a part can damage a fine trailing edge, for example. Typical of the thought that goes into these kits, Wingnuts have greatly reduced that risk to the modeller.

SprueLM.jpg

Photoetch.
The previously mentioned machine gun jackets are here, with a choice of forward firing LMG 08 or
LMG 08/15 for the pilot, and an LMG 14 Parabellum for the observer. Also included is a pair of lap belts for both crew members.

SprueP.jpg

Decals.

Produced by Cartograf, they are in perfect register with minimal carrier film. Everything is covered from the tiniest stencils to various types of large wing crosses. The main sheet larger than A4 and in fact fills the bottom of the box.

Decals1.jpg

Markings for 5 options are provided with a section for those decals common to all versions, such as instrument faces and data plates. A full set of tapes are provided for lining out the leading and trailing edges of the wings and tailplanes, and edging the fin and rudder (used on options A and C). The fine printing on some the details is terrific to look at, and really needs a magnifying glass to see how good they are.

Decals1-det.jpg

A smaller sheet provides yet more Eisenkruez, with and without white borders, for the various options.

Decals2.jpg

Finishing options.
Option A. DFW C.V 799/17, Albert Hahnel & Eugen Mann, FA 7, July 1917.
OptionA.jpg

Option B, DFW C.V (LVG), 2164/17 'Star', FA 10, July 1917.
OptionB.jpg

Option C, DFW C.V (Halb), 2523/17, mid 1917 to early 1918.
OptionC.jpg

Option D, DFW C.V (Av), 287/18,'Butterfly', FA(A) 219, May 1918.
OptionD.jpg

Option E, DFW C.V, 'Gretel - Lo', FA(A) 239, mid 1918.
OptionE.jpg

Conclusion.

Yet again another beautiful kit from Wingnut Wings. I like them all but have a particular soft spot for the 2-seaters because you get so much exqisite detail in them, and most of it remains on view because the cockpits tend to have large openings you can peer into. The DFW C.V is an attractive aircraft, with that wonderful quirkyness so typical of the era. It has a nice streamlined pointy nose, and then a big clunk of a radiator bolted on, shaped like a housebrick. And the wings seem to have come from different aircraft, the lowers having very round tips and the uppers straight and swept back. It all adds character, and Wingnut Wings always capture it beautifully.

The DFW C.V 'Late Production' is beautifully designed, manufactured, and presented. I am sure it will give many hours of modelling pleasure and result in a beautiful model. As always, this is a premier product from this world class model company, model kits just don't come any better than this.

Highly Reccommended.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 1

..after I've sold my grandmother :whistle:

There just aren't enough hours in the day, I'm finding that work is increasingly interfering with my modelling time. I'd so like to start building this now. Right away. Immediately.. :elephant:

• Like 1