Montex canopy masks - first time

Watcher

I'm slowly working my way through the first kit I've made in some 35 years - an Airfix 1:48 Javelin. Having made a mess of the canopy (trying to cut a mask and ran the scalpel deeply across the 'glass') I'm waiting for a replacement sprue from Airfix and I've bought a Montex mask to prevent a similar disaster. My question is how easy are they to apply? I have visions of trying to line up the inside ones and getting them all messed up. If I position wrongly can I move them or are they a one-shot thing? You can probably tell that I'm a little scarred from my experience!

TIA

Matthew

Edited by Watcher

Hi Matthew,

I used a Montex canopy mask for the Me163 I'm building and found that it wasn't very flexible it was pretty thick compared with Eduard masks which I prefer. I also found that it grabbed pretty quickly so I got round that by licking it before applying it so that it slid around the canopy making positioning easier. The stickiness will return once the mask dries out. Like I said earlier they do grab well so I found the mask quite hard to remove afterwards.

The main reason I used the Montex mask was because they provide masks for inside the canopy and I plan to display my Me163 with it's canopy open.

Tim.

You may like to try just the outer masks and not bother with the inside ones, mask up the outer and cover the inner part all over with masking tape.Spray the inner colour first on to the clear canopy part then spray the outer colour over the top the clear on the inside will show the interior colour

As it's a slider canopy you wont notice the slight gloss finish unlike when it's a hinge opener as above

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ''attempted'' to apply a Montex mask set to my Javelin canopy and i believe they have the inner and our masks labeled vice versa, and yes they stick like mad and do not bend as well as eduard masks, i have it done but am not happy ,

I am quite disappointed and will go back to tamiya tape in the future, i am sure many can use them and have excellent results , just not for me !

Cheers

• Like 1