Vosper MTB, probably 355 - scratchbuild reboot

Just lots of strips of plastic... and it's guesswork, really. based on what few references there are! Not at all sure I'm getting the bandstand right, but... It was probably sill to go for 355, but it's the only one I have anything about with the midships Oerlikon mounting. Beefy's comment on his gunboat applies here too - should have checked.... Nonetheless, I think it'll look cool. It'll need rails and probably (not sure - again) splinter mats. The forward gun , fortunately, didn't have a bandstand, whew!. I'm also guessing that the guns would have limiters to stop unnecessary shooting the bridge....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seadog said:

and it's guesswork

Ah but it's guesswork based on knowledge around the subject!

Rails , splinter mats and limiter rails would again be a reasonable supposition

Keep up the good work

Kev (post coffee)

7 hours ago, seadog said:

I'm also guessing that the guns would have limiters to stop unnecessary shooting the bridge....

Limiters that,s what them bars are for  :book:

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Ah but it's guesswork based on knowledge around the subject!

Yes tis a great thing knowledge when you have it unlike some on here  :think:

great work with the band stand fiddly looking thing must start learning to be at bit more patient with my builds  :rage:

beefy

24 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Yes tis a great thing knowledge when you have it unlike some on here  :think:

I can understand your frustration at the moment Keith. Trust me we've all been where you are :nodding:

BUT you are well capable of building anything you want to high standard as proven by past builds. Part of the problem with knowledge is you don't know you need it until it's tooo late.

Chin up and full speed ahead

Kev

• Like 1

Too true, I keep running across stuff I didn't know and then have to decide whether to start ripping up some of what I've done a do it again, or just grit my teeth and carry on. One of the reasons why Fair Rosamund  is stalled.

• Like 2

Well, um, the bandstand is together and temporarily sitting in place. Boy, this shot really shows up how much tidying up I'm going to have to do on the whole boat!

bandstandtrial

• Like 4

Just now, robgizlu said:

That is such a perfect circleB)

How...............?

The bandstand looks great

Rob

Wire rings... bent around a bottle that's close to the diameter you need, then silver soldered. I got this from palmer metals. Takes a fair bit of pushing to get it to come through the tiny tube! The tiniest touch is all that's need on the join, then apply a flame, I've got a mini-torch. Getting the thing round is simple just put it over the neck of any tapered bottle and press it down. Getting it flat is sort of trial and error I put this one down on the cutting mat and turned it so that the bits that curved up hang over the edge, then press down gently...repeat till it's a flat as you can get it....Then there's getting it onto the stanchions... I put the ring flat and then lowered the bandstand onto it wiggling it around till it was OK, then sticking it together with tiny drops of CA. Incidentally, the ring yo see here was number three... getting the circumference right was interesting. 

bandstandtrial_1

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Well worth the wait ....                                      Cracking job !!

As to state of the boat, what would one expect of work in progress

Kev

Yes it is, but best tidy as I go or it'll never get done, OCD or not :worry:. Too early to reach for the whiskey, I suppose....

• Like 1

Found this picture in Home Waters MTBs - not so easy to find, but grab it if you can. This shows 358, from the same series as 355. I'm guessing 1944, noting the damn great white star on the bow, to avoid blue on blue errors by aircraft... I might, while I have the chance, decks being somewhat uncluttered, add one. Note also the same colour scheme as the 73ft. boats. Possible an update as they came in for a tidy-up? Tempting!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62509728@N08/38247323925/in/dateposted-public/

Another thing I could do with a spot of help with is grenade boxes, they seem to be scattered around the deck, handy for lobbing at ruffians who get too close....Can't seem to find a drawing, not surprisingly. Anyone seen one?

PS, Just discovered that I can use 'insert other media' to load pics from my blog... It's an Otter, pretending to be a torpedo...

dive-in.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Another detail, you my find interesting ... The photo of MTB 358 shows the rocket flare launchers mounted on the TT's & a rocket storage box next to the bridge.  Here's a link to a photo of the storage box with the cover removed, showing the stowed rockets - http://www.rodericktimms.royalnavy.co.uk/media/images/user-images/5803/page30.1.jpg

John

Just cut a pattern for that star. popped off various vents etc. to make life simpler - realized I haven't done toe-rails yet - DUH! Never fails, you get the large stuff more or less done, then you realize that there is A LOT of small stuff needs sorting and/or making.

star.jpg

Not much going to happen between now and Christmas so...

e-card.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Well, the years slip away and I realise that if I don't finish this very soon, the arthritis in me thumbs will win... The model suffered badly being in storage so long so I'm having to rebuild the superstructure. I'm finding that the bridge drawings in Lambert's book don't all agree with each other about size, so I've spent way too much time on the computer coming up with compromise drawings that might produce something decent...to my eye, anyway. Now I need to reload a few pics back on page one...