Vosper MTB, probably 355 - scratchbuild reboot

Thanks for the info on your hull build.

Would I be right in thinking you used plastic card for the templates infilled with balsa, smoothed off with car filler??

Pic4 seems to show planking going diagonally forward ??

Cheers Kev

You'd be right, though I don't think it was car filler. I was living in Prague at the time and there weren't any Halfords around, so it was probably Tamiya or Italeri filler...I think. Yes those are 'planks' - plastic strip being easier to use than easier than large sections of sheet. I canted them forward because I used the photo on p.68 of Lambert's book (V.1) which suggests that. I also lined the torpedo troughs with the thinnest plastic card I could find.

hull-007.jpg

Cheers,

F

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Righto - back on it. Been working on the aft oerlikon mounting. Looking closely at the photo of 355, it looks like the bandstand ought to be octagonal....so I've been scratching a new one out of wood and plastic card. However, it's not right yet as the mount I copied is on an earlier boat and a bit further forward. Where 355 had the mount, it would, at this size, interfere with the torpedo tube....bugger! A slightly smaller item is in the works. Can't move it forward due to the location for the two ventilators just ahead of it.

bandstandprog

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice to see another project back  out of mothballs. Any chance of restoring the old photos? Or maybe just taking one or two over view shot showing where you are up to now.

OK, as long as Flikr doesn't mess us about... I started this project ten years ago! Just checked on Model Warships.com where I'd started a build thread. Using the plans from Lambert's wonderful book I got the drawings scaled and onto graph paper and started slicing up a load of 1mm(?) plastic card

hull-002hull-003

Put in a sheet at the level of the chine.

hull-005hull-004

Infilled with balsa - not the best material, but all I had. Then the hull was planked with plastic card to emulate the way it was actually done - only one layer though!

The torpedo cut outs got really thin plastic carded...

hull-007

The bridge was also made of plastic card

wind-deflectorvosper

and the torpedo tubes.

vosper_02

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Wow     :gobsmacked:

Five steps to   heaven   how to build an MTB hull

No excuses left now guys

Thanks for that Fraser

Kev

Long way from heaven at times...

Researching the gun bandstand is proving interesting and also frustrating...there werew a lot of different types around and not a lot of reference! Here, as they say, is one I built earlier for my Tamiya Perkasa  to replace the moulded on item. There were ones like this in WWII, though I don't think 355 had one like it. Could have made life easier by going for 234, for which a layout, showing the gun is available. That, however would mean a bit of rearranging of ventilators etc.

perkasa

• Like 5

Yeah, the Ds had lots of guns! and the space to put 'em. I have Lambert's Two volumes on the boats. They really are a goldmine.

Just in case some may think I'm slacking... I've been messing about with the wretched bandstand....been through a few iterations

bandstand-works

To make sorting the midships area, I removed all of the deck furniture. I had also realised that I had one of the covers(?) wrongly sized, so of it came as well and a new one is being sorted

new-cover

And, of course there are a couple more small hatches that will need replacing too...It'll be alright on the night, eh?

• Like 1