A Spitfire For Two 1/72 - FINISHED! RFI SOON

Well I got back from my hols in Turkey at 3AM this morning and (after a decent amount of sleep) I started work on a new project - Revell's 1/72 Spitfire V (plus conversion kitbash).

I'm going to build ES127 seen here,
SpitVTrop2Seatx3.jpg
two%20seat%20conv_zps7oz0owf9.jpg

Fuselage halves together and front cockpit added
20140801_201004_zpsxaolmjyh.jpg

Front cockpit
20140801_200940_zpsf9idqflq.jpg

Internal construction
20140801_200948_zpsqg8hdmou.jpg

Brianthemodeller kindly donated a couple Spit props and spinners from the Airfix kits and also an oil cooler, I removed the bad Revell one and installed the Airfix part
20140801_201452_zpsryo6ypie.jpg

I drilled out the opening to the oil cooler to make it look less industrial and more akin to reality
20140801_201435_zpsio25maag.jpg

The wings have been put on and the Airfix Mk V trop radiator added (the Revell nose is too wide so it will take a lot of sanding and filing to sort this out). More to follow...

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 4

A brave undertaking, to say the least, and I am sure the end result will be great.

I have built the Promodeller Spit V, which I believe is the same as the Revell one, and beside the oil crummy cooler that you changed, there was no gull wing effect on the wing underside. Are you going to address that problem?

Keep on with it!

JR

A brave undertaking, to say the least, and I am sure the end result will be great.

I have built the Promodeller Spit V, which I believe is the same as the Revell one, and beside the oil crummy cooler that you changed, there was no gull wing effect on the wing underside. Are you going to address that problem?

Keep on with it!

JR

Hey Jean,

I'm only addressing the kits main issues, being the awful prop and spinner, poor exhausts and poor oil cooler. The lack of gull wing is of little concern to me as it will not be visible because I will present the model the right way up without a mirror beneath.

I've had very few difficulties with the build so far as all I'm really doing is cutting a hole in the top and adding a large air filter :P

More progress;

20140802_103816_zpspegptigw.jpg

20140802_103836_zps31bb15rf.jpg

20140802_103850_zps7d153azs.jpg

It looks ok after the first fill and sand (then primed). Next job is to put another, thinner, layer of filler over then use fine grit and wet amd dry to acheive what should be the final finish.

20140802_160651_zpsmotog5fa.jpg

20140802_160704_zpsbg2ewdah.jpg

Now back to the housework (preparing to sell and move),

Ben

• Like 3

I have the front and middle section for the canopy in clear plastic (from the spares box) so I cut off the rear section of revells canopy, sanded it before usign it as a master to plunge mold a nice thin canopy.

20140803_154637_zpsmtlhbrhs.jpg

POLL;

I have already attatched the elevators, however, I might remove them and drop the control surfaces, what do you think?

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 1

You could leave it. It's not as if it needs anything much more to make it stand out from the run of the mill crowd of other Spitfires :thumbsup:

Cheers Mitch,

I think I'm going to put it in a diorama, but we have yet to see that far. Most Spits seen parked with the canopies open tend to have deflected elevators, but I think I'll leave it as it is :P

Ben

• Like 1

If you were wanting to recreate the b&w photo, you'd need to drop elevators and deflect ailerons; but cutting now at a built airframe may cause other damage.

I'd say, at this stage of the build, leave it as it is.

If you were wanting to recreate the b&w photo, you'd need to drop elevators and deflect ailerons; but cutting now at a built airframe may cause other damage.

I'd say, at this stage of the build, leave it as it is.

Thanks :) I had considered recreating the b&w photo but I want a little more freedom (hence considerign the elevator).

Startign to think about a diorama now...

Ben

MORE WORK!

First two coats of Humbrol Dark Earth

IMG_8562_zps276c89ea.jpg

I'm off to the LMS on Thursday with the gf to; a) Buy some Middle Stone & Azure Blue, and B) Get a model for her to build :P

In the mean time I'm going to start work on the prop and spinner as well as the undercarriage.

Ben

• Like 3

Quite fancy doing this in 1/48 after seeing yours. 1/72 spitfire is too small for my eyes these days!

I'd love to have made my Spitfire collection in 48th but lack the space or time.

I think that the new Airfix Mk Vb has two sets of canopies and I'm sure it has the DH prop, so you should be able to do that... I'd love to see it!

Ben

I am still alive!

Went to the LMS today and managed to pick up Mid Stone paint (didn't get any Azure blue so I'll have to mix that). Anyway, I've mostly got the right pattern for the camo, just need to even out the colour coats.

20140807_185650_zpsh6bypb4p.jpg

20140807_185642_zpsg25vlffa.jpg

Ben

• Like 1

I see you like To camoflage your nails too. :wicked:

Means I don't need to spend ages trying to match my nail varnish to the appropriate colour chip ;)

Well the left side is finished (all except the airframe serial)

20140808_122108_zpsdtfn8lwo.jpg

The right side... Well, let's just say it isnt quite finished yet :S

Ben

• Like 2