Painting decals?

Filler

I've just got a set of Daco decals for a special marked F-16 and I was quite surprised to find the red wings aren't red - or not yet anyway.

There is a decal proved that it instructs should be painted red. Then a second decal is laid over that with the finer details.

I never knew that decals were ever pained or even that they could be. So can anyone give me any advice on painting decals?

Also, slightly complicating things is that the paint I ordered to go with it is enamel and I have not used enamel paint since I slapped it on neat with a cheap old paintbrush straight from the tin as a schoolboy. I have only used acrylic paint since re-entering the hobby.

Or perhaps I'd be better off somehow creating a mask from the decal and painting the aircraft instead?

T'is a strange way to do it.

I have painted decal film, and over-painted printed decals. Enamel or acrylic can both be used. Two keys to success; a very smooth coat and a thin coat. If the paint is too thick it tends to crack, especially at any cut edges. Best way to get thin even coats is to spray the paint on.

But....if you're going that far, why not just mask the wings and spray colour directly on.......thats what I'd do in this case.

Yep, definitely going to try making a mask and painting the aircraft instead of the decal. I just can't fathom how you'd paint a decal without having all manner of problems one you stick it in water.