Heat Forming Styrene Sheet

Kiwidave4

I have a bit of experience forming styrene sheet but have always made parts that are held in shape after forming by other structure, ie the pressure hull of a submarine or skin of an aircraft which is glued to frames.

For my Cent BARV I was intending to heat-form the curved wave deflectors that edge the top deck. However these are cantilevered, being attched to the hull only by their lower edge. I am a bit concerned that over time they may decide to revert to flat sheets!

Does anyone have experience of this sort of application. The only alternative I can think of is to make them from brass but that will involve making a soldering jig which I am not too keen on.

I am open to suggestions.

Regards Dave

Heat formed styrene will only revert to its original form after heat is applied again. After all, any vac formed model would have reverted to a flat sheet over time, but they haven't.

Hi Dave

I've made some curved roofs for N gauge model railway buildings and these have stayed true and not reverted to flat sheets. Heat is the key plus a small degree of exaggeration of the required curvature. In my experience boiling water has always been successful.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Heat formed styrene will only revert to its original form after heat is applied again. After all, any vac formed model would have reverted to a flat sheet over time, but they haven't.

Hi Dave

I've made some curved roofs for N gauge model railway buildings and these have stayed true and not reverted to flat sheets. Heat is the key plus a small degree of exaggeration of the required curvature. In my experience boiling water has always been successful.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks Dave. My test piece is a bit inconclusive. It is holding its shape as I would expect, but seems to have little 'memory' - that is, if I apply a straightening force it does not return fully to its formed shape unless I give it a bit of asistance.

I just thought I would ask the question in case there is a trick I dont know about.

Regards Dave

Lamination would also help. - Using two pieces of half the desired thickness bonded together would generally be stronger than a single piece. - Depending upon the shape, the thickness may have to be taken into consideration when molding/forming