USMC M4A2 on Saipan, "King Kong"

Here's the next installment of my USMC armor in the PTO saga. This will be an M4A2 used on Saipan. The TC called her "King Kong".

DSCF5149_zps2717c438.jpg

DSCF5150_zps59bf7d8c.jpg

I scratchbuilt the wading trunks.

DSCF5152_zps96314090.jpg

DSCF5153_zpsc3889a8a.jpg

The bogies are Tamiya with DML wheels and details added in plastic hex rod.

DSCF5154_zpsf5cae334.jpg

This is an old Verlinden resin conversion for the Tamiya M4 series. I spiced it up with the correct final drive cover, wheels. commanders hatch and small details from DML. Everything else will be scratchbuilt.

G

• Like 4

Here's a bit more.

The Marines liked to convert old fuel tanks and what not into water tanks for the infantry on those hot hot islands. I scratched built the water can from a piece of old pen body and scraps of styrene.It will be mounted right there on the engine deck with some piping.

DSCF5194_zps318f2d83.jpg

DSCF5195_zps74cadb43.jpg

G

• Like 1

As a newbie who is just getting started again, I am in awe. It will be worth the wait to see the finished piece.

• Like 1

The Marines liked to convert old fuel tanks and what not into water tanks for the infantry on those hot hot islands. I scratched built the water can from a piece of old pen body and scraps of styrene.It will be mounted right there on the engine deck with some piping.

Some were the auxilliary tanks used on M3 Stuarts - recycled

Graham I appreciate the sentiment, this will be an interesting piece when finished. Realize this all I'm doing is looking at photos and replicating what I see with materials I am familiar with. Everything is measured by the good old Mk 1 eyeball.

I am a proponent of the S.W.A.G. method of modelling, measured against the L.A.R. scale.

Shermaniac, I have never been able to establish the source of all the tanks other than M3 auxiliary fuel tanks. Looking at photos I found that they do not all look alike.

G

Edited by AgentG

Take your point, that's good advice. Hope to see more soon.

The long long work week is behind me now and we are moving forward on King Kong. She's sitting in primer as we speak. Here are some pre primer shots of the build.

DSCF5196_zpse6e41925.jpg

DSCF5197_zps9f5e62fc.jpg

DSCF5198_zpsced910cf.jpg

DSCF5199_zpsfdf2d953.jpg

DSCF5202_zps70c37487.jpg

Additional research and some big help from a member on another site revealed the front panels on this were actually plywood, used to thwart magnetic mines. They will be painted accordingly.

G

• Like 2

Here's some quickie pics of the paint job so far.

Tamiya OD base.

DSCF5204_zpse5549535.jpg

DSCF5205_zpsf2f28b07.jpg

The unique camo applied to the turret.

DSCF5208_zps317d8b49.jpg

DSCF5211_zps9ccdbf13.jpg

The plywood armor.

DSCF5209_zpse55f15e9.jpg

DSCF5210_zps161f4cc5.jpg

All the detail painting so far is Vallejo with a smattering of oils.

G

• Like 1