1:72 Revell Tornado Canopy Replacement?

dr_gn

Guys,

I'm building the Revell Tornado GR1, converted to GR4 617 Dambusters anniversary scheme:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964448-172-tornado-gr4-dambusters-70th-anniversary/

The canopy in mine is terrible:

D2U0TDOT.jpg

"ENG" on my build thread suggested it may be becasue the mould/kit is old, and that the older mouldings were much better.

Does anyone have a better canopy spare that they'd be willing to sell?

Or is there a good vacform replacement out there?

The model will be finished with the canopy open.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Email Revell, They are good with spares Girl called Sarah Cunningham IIRC. They sorted me out with my Meteor F4 no probs

Thanks Rob,

Yes I have her e-mail at revell.de from when I needed replacement Spitfire parts.

The problem is I think the latest issues of this kit will all be the same. According to eng, he (or she) has several boxings of the kit, and the earlier ones are fine, but the later ones are like mine.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Welcome. I know what you mean about the canopy mine looked rough too. Its the worst part of the kit poorly defined at the lower edge on mine. However remember there is a thick band at the bottom that it painted and wont look bad when done.

If I was you I would dunk it in Klear and see how it looks.

If still not happy its micromesh time.

:)

Evening it's "he", I'm really really sure as well ;)

Yes, exactly what mine are like! Rob I don't even think micro mesh would fix these, the marks and what I assume are bubbles or FOD are right through the plastic.

I couldn't tell you what sort of age the kits were with this defect but my first 2 aren't like this at all, but most of the other 8-9 are. They've come from various ebay sellers as well as local model shops so could equally have been lying about for years and I've just been unlucky.

Not sure about vacform replacements, although something makes me think Aeroclub used to do one. Might be time for an enterprising BritModeller with more time than me to have a go at knocking a crash mould together and having a go........anyone?

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 2

Hmm yes looking at it again with fresh eyes it does indeed look like stuff is inside. That's pretty bad for revel glazing. Though saying that the 2 kits that have impressed me the most in recent years are Revell's Hunter and Tornado in 1/72 but both had soft detail on the canopy which did not seem up to the same quality as the rest of the kit. Maybe I was unlucky too.

• Like 1

Pavla has a vacform canopy for the Italeri kit, wonder if this would fit the Revell one ?

Yes, I saw one on EBay, I might have a go at it for the sake of a few quid.

I might take Robvulcans advice and e-mail revell, you never know.

Cheers.

I recently bought this kit, and my canopy has the same two blobs on the left hand side of the canopy in your picture, however the rest doesn't look as bad as yours does, bar some flash as scratches on the canopy itself, which is strange as the front half and the rest of the clear parts are fine. I think I can just about live with it once it's got a klear coating, but I have no idea when my kit was produced, although the box copyright is '2000'. Other than that, the rest of the kit was fine, a great bargain

Simon

I have a similar problem with the 1/72 Revell ECR kit. The main canopy has flaws within it, so cant be polished out. Ive had this in the stash at least 5 years but having only just opened it I didnt know.

Ha, beaten too it! Giorgio hit the nail on the head, came across Pavla's canopy when trying to find where I'd seen vac canopies before.

Got 2 in the post today (I know I'll wreck one!!), a quick whip out of the packet and placed alongside the Revell kit and I have to say this may be the way forward, this is without cutting anything too. Looks like it could be a very good fit.

However these also may be hit or miss as the one I took out of the packet has a pretty poor center windshield, fortunately the Revell windshield is ok and it's really the aft canopy section I need a replacement for.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else's Pavla lid is like.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Ha, beaten too it! Giorgio hit the nail on the head, came across Pavla's canopy when trying to find where I'd seen vac canopies before.

Got 2 in the post today (I know I'll wreck one!!), a quick whip out of the packet and placed alongside the Revell kit and I have to say this may be the way forward, this is without cutting anything too. Looks like it could be a very good fit.

However these also may be hit or miss as the one I took out of the packet has a pretty poor center windshield, fortunately the Revell windshield is ok and it's really the aft canopy section I need a replacement for.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else's Pavla lid is like.

Rgds,

Eng

I hope you've not got the last one!!

What is the moulding like around the glass edges? It's a double line where (I think) a bead of sealant runs around, which will have to be masked and sprayed. Is that second seal line present as a masking guide?

I'm not botheres about the windscreen, I'll definitely use the kit version since it's a perfect fit. I usually use kit windscreens and vacform canopies.

Hi folks,

I never noticed a second line on the Pavla canopy where the seal/sealant is. Will have a look later.

The ebay seller I got mine from was called 'Heepdrutt' and has a stock showing MORE than 10 available/9 sold. I don't quite know what more than 10 constitutes but may order another couple in a few weeks time to replace the worst of the Revell canopies in my kits.

I'm pretty sure there must be other Pavla stockists out there. Was surprised at the big H not having any.

Rgds,

Eng

Not going to use the very clear Airfix one doc?

To be entirely honest I 'crash' moulded mine from the Airfix one because I always do to get thin clear canopies

Tornado1_zps29cc9e24.jpg

I know the pods are wrong, this was made thirty years or more ago, They were not long in service

(shorthand for poor research bites yer bum!)

What I was thinking is if one of the Aiirfix ones you have already has a decent rear canopy half you might like to use it

b

Right,

I had a quick and rough trim of the Pavla canopy to sit it in position and it's ever so slightly wider than the Revell canopy. I think it may well be possible to pinch it in slightly to get it to fit though. The real proof was when I sat it on top of a canopy equipped kit that's in the process of being decalled, it sits neatly right over the top!! I do need to trim the lower edges further though to get the height correct.

Will keep you posted and will try and get some pics up.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 2

Right,

I had a quick and rough trim of the Pavla canopy to sit it in position and it's ever so slightly wider than the Revell canopy. I think it may well be possible to pinch it in slightly to get it to fit though. The real proof was when I sat it on top of a canopy equipped kit that's in the process of being decalled, it sits neatly right over the top!! I do need to trim the lower edges further though to get the height correct.

Will keep you posted and will try and get some pics up.

Rgds,

Eng

Thanks for that.

Is the width issue noticable in the open position?

I wouldn't think so.

Not really thinking what I was doing I have stupidly trimmed the vac canopy pretty flush at the aft end, I have completely forgotten the Revell kit has the 2 hinge tabs at the back end!!!! Dohhhh......

Looks like I'll need to splice the parts off the crappy kit canopy onto the vac form one with some thin plasticard on the inside.

You have been reminded!!!! Trim your vac canopy to include the hinge arms/tabs!!!

;)

Eng

• Like 1

I wouldn't think so.

Not really thinking what I was doing I have stupidly trimmed the vac canopy pretty flush at the aft end, I have completely forgotten the Revell kit has the 2 hinge tabs at the back end!!!! Dohhhh......

Looks like I'll need to splice the parts off the crappy kit canopy onto the vac form one with some thin plasticard on the inside.

You have been reminded!!!! Trim your vac canopy to include the hinge arms/tabs!!!

;)

Eng

Ta. Is the MDC moulded into the Pavla canopy?

Wow ! As I don't think the Airfix kit has its frame separate, Airfix must have kitted the Coupé version. And it must mean the spine is only half the required depth.

The rear hinge appears to be moulded into the spine, so that is the complete canopy.

Possibly one of the worst kits currently available? Nice box though

I always considered the Airfix one of the better of the early Tornado kits - one thought that may redress the balance a bit: May the frame be moulded directly onto the cockpit sills, in similar fashion to most early Fw 190 canopies which invariably moulded the sliding fairing behind the canopy into the fuselage ?

I always considered the Airfix one of the better of the early Tornado kits - one thought that may redress the balance a bit: May the frame be moulded directly onto the cockpit sills, in similar fashion to most early Fw 190 canopies which invariably moulded the sliding fairing behind the canopy into the fuselage ?

Yes, as I said the hinge is moulded into the spine, so the gap in the photo, on the Airfix version, is the canopy frame. It would appear to scale to around 100mm over size in some places.