Airfix Vampire T22 - 1/72 - 736NAS?

Another one finished this time Airfix's recent Vampire two-seater completed as an FAA T22. Inspiration for this one came from here http://www.dhc-2.com/Abbotsinch%20-%20HMS%20Sanderling.html If you scroll about half way down you can a pic of this aircraft XA157 next to a Sea Vixen. The colour of the panel on the nose of the b&w pic prompted some debate on here when I asked but fellow BM'er Ivor came to the rescue with information that led me to think that the panel was almost definitely XDSG and the day-glo was not nearly as worn and faded as it looks in the pic. I think this aircraft would have belonged to 736NAS but if anyone knows for sure please shout!

39607585804_8e27c1b341_o.jpgvampt7 

The kit is a little fiddly to put together - you need to cut away a small lug if you want to fit the main landing gear towards the end of the build rather than early on as the instructions suggest. The design is meant to be idiot proof to get wings and booms lined up but I think my lower sbd wing half was a bit warped as the wing seemed to bend down a bit and needed some firm bending to get it to a better angle. Naturally I only noticed this after painting!!!

39607586634_b7eea8677c_o.jpgvampt3 

The opening part of the canopy also needed some sanding of the framing to get it to sit in line with the windscreen and rear portion. Paint was Citadel Chain Mail, and then Humbrol 18 Orange followed by Humbrol 209 Fire Orange. I couldn't work out if the Day-glo was supposed to extend onto the inner part of the horizontal tail surfaces as the Airfix painting instructions showed. I had a copy of the Air Ministry paint guide which suggested not but there are preserved Vampires that do show this and it's very difficult to tell from period photos. The panel was Xtracrylix XDSG. Decals were from the kit and codes from various Xtradecal sheets.

39607586404_7e22fdea89_o.jpgvampt4 

The Airfix model seems to be based on a preserved example and there are a few lumps and bumps under the nose that really I should have sanded off for this one. Most FAA T22s I have seen appear to have the cartridge ejector chutes for the cannon under the nose but without references for what these looked like close up I decided to leave alone.

39607585894_9a0a8a7675_o.jpgvampt6 

Hope you like. There's also a pic with a friend from 738NAS!!!

40319174721_ef5e5cef1d_o.jpgvampt1 

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 27

Superb build there. Only hope mine turns out as nice. Currently painting a Hunter T8 conversion in similar scheme to yours. I like the look of the Citadel paint. It has a nicely toned down appearance.

• Like 1

That looks very, very nice indeed, I'm pleased that I could help.

The original colour photo shows some staining around the gun ports suggesting that the cannons had seen a bit of use recently. It also shows that the inner section of the horizontal tail was silver, so you guessed right.

And with my nit-picky head on, your nav lights could do with touching in!

I'll get me coat ...

Edited by Ivor Ramsden
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps. Yep I forgot about the nav lights didn't I !!!

Nomore - the Hunter has the same day-glo sprayed over white and you can just about see the difference in tone in the shots. To be honest I still had to chuck a bucket of the stuff over the Vampire!!!

Ole - the Hunter is the Xtrakit T7 - it has its own RFI on here from a couple of years ago that sets out all the trials and tribulations I had associated with that kit.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79481-hunter-t8-xtrakit-172/?hl=xtrakit

Pat

Edited by Pat C

Great build and great photos. your build has inspired me to dig mine out

A couple of questions:

Is it brush painted and did you apply any varnish coat etc ?

Good work

Tommy

Thanks all

Tommy - its airbrushed. I think the day-glo would be a nightmare to brush paint. It got a coat of Microscale Satin varnish - mainly because the dust seems to stick much worse to a matt surface!!!

Pat