Magazines on subscription - a fair deal?

Jonny

My good lady wife buys me an annual subscription to 'Aeroplane' as a Christmas gift. Most months it arrives a day or so before the edition appears in the shops.

I've noticed that sometimes the shop versions have an 'extra' which doesn't come with my subcribed-for copy. This month (end of July), for instance, I see that a copy of the Halifax Bomber - Transport aircraft booklet is included in the shop copy.

AS it happens I've already got the Halifax booklet, but it's the principle - if we take out an annual or longer subscripotion the publisher has our money 'uop front' but anyone buying monthly seems to get more for their money (£4:30 a copy). Yes, an annual subscription works out a little cheaper than buying individual copies but I'm beginning to wonder if it's a fair deal.

Comments, anyone?

I agree, I think you should get the extras as well. You're giving them your money up front. Where they are saving is that upto 50% of the cover price goes the distribution company and the newsagent, but you should get the same as the punter buying monthly in the newsagents.

Write to them and give them a piece of your mind.

Depends if the price of the "extra" (assuming it's on sale separately as well, as you imply by saying "... I've already got the Halifax booklet ...") is more or less than the saving you make by taking out a subscription.

I see where you are coming from Jonny, I have often wondered about a subscription but have held off for one reason and another. One thing I have noticed is since starting this hobby a few months ago I have been buying many modelling mags but after a while I realised that they were not very decriptive in how to solve problems with the kit being built, that is why I joined this forum.

For me the best part of the mag is the new kit/tool/decal, reviews,etc, but hardly worth paying £4.30 for.

Gary.

Sometimes the extras are done for specific retailers, ie WH Smith, and are not available elsewhere, as was the case a short while ago with the free model kit,

Sometimes the extras are done for specific retailers, ie WH Smith, and are not available elsewhere, as was the case a short while ago with the free model kit,

Actually, I spotted the Magazine + Halifax book package in WHS which is what prompted me to make my first post. I then spotted the magazine all on its own in another newsagents, so yes, DWH, you're right!

Even so, I do think it's a little unfair of publishers to do this.