How to build a Sea Venom the hard way

NAVY870

This is great fun to follow, I am becoming seriously tempted to get me a Matchbox/Revell kit and give it the works. Like I didn't have enough on my plate as it is!

Martin

A request of BM'ers if I might.

To bring WZ-897 back to life I still need to find the rest of the airframe, wings and booms etc.

All attempts to find FAW-53 parts in Australia have failed dismally so now I need to search further afield.

If anybody has any leads of parts or dead airframes could you please pass it on? As the FAW-53 has the same

structure as the RN birds anything would be helpful.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

"I'm quite proud of it"

And quite rightly too! Now just looking forward to seeing the rest...:wicked:

Christian, exiled to africa

P.S. Nice teaser of your stash... 

Some truly impressive work going on there man! Used to belomg to a museum over here so I know the joys, frustrations, banged knuckles and elbows, and the bucket loads of Anglo-Saxon words being used. Keep up the great work. Have you tried sending a spares request to UK groups through the BAPC??

The IP looks fantastic Steve, a labour of love.

Very good to see that some wings have finally been sourced.

According to my maps app I'm only a 2 1/2 hour drive away.

My birthday soon, I feel a trip coming on.

If there's any help I can ever give from down here in Canberra please let me know.

Best regards

TonyT

• 5 months later...

G'day Steve - I am looking at what will be my next Navy model having completed a Trumpeter Wyvern in 1/48 scale - I have a 1/48 Classic Airframes Sea Venom which I would like to finish as a RAN machine - do you have any advice on this kit and completing it as a RAN aircraft? - I would complete it with wings folded and have a Wolfpack wing fold - usually I scratch build the wing folds

CJP

On 19.02.2017 at 7:59 AM, NAVY870 said:

_C052223_zps6fionhsk.jpg

:)

Steve, very cool and filigree work with photoetched!

:):):)

B.w. Steve, when this :) very big model :) approaches a coloring stage, you are planing to use :):)  technic: 

-  preshading;

-  color modulation;

-  hairspray technique paint chipping;

- postshading;

-  salt  technic;

-  method oil points

?????

:):):):)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aardvark said:

:)

Steve, very cool and filigree work with photoetched!

:):):)

B.w. Steve, when this :) very big model :) approaches a coloring stage, you are planing to use :):)  technic: 

-  preshading;

-  color modulation;

-  hairspray technique paint chipping;

- postshading;

-  salt  technic;

-  method oil points

?????

:):):):)

B.R.

Serge

I'll be leaving the pre owned fuselage pod in the paint it came in, to preserve the work of those that came

before me and secondly (and more importantly) not incur the wrath of my preservation orientated Director.

The wings etc will be repainted and then hopefully weathered with cordite and a sublte hint of OX-38

Edited by NAVY870

11 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Good to see things are still progressing. Any more large parts of the airframe turned up yet?

Inner wings arrived at the museum on Friday, battered corroded but quite restorable.

I've located booms, tailplane engine cowls and the tail cone off the wreck we recovered (they had been 

moved to another site) and it looks like they are available to us.

Once I pick them up and scrounge a pair of tip tanks 897 will officially be a complete aeroplane again

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2017 at 7:23 PM, CJP said:

G'day Steve - I am looking at what will be my next Navy model having completed a Trumpeter Wyvern in 1/48 scale - I have a 1/48 Classic Airframes Sea Venom which I would like to finish as a RAN machine - do you have any advice on this kit and completing it as a RAN aircraft? - I would complete it with wings folded and have a Wolfpack wing fold - usually I scratch build the wing folds

CJP

Apologies CJ I completely missed your post.

The CA kit could have been good but for some reason it has a couple of idiotic mistakes that make it impossible to build accurately from the box.

The cockpit is a nice little replica of an FAW.20, problem is the rest of the kit is FAW-21/22/53 and very different from a 20.

You'll need to replace the entire right hand side, the radar display modify the instrument panel and the equipment mounted on the shelf behind the seats.

The rest of it is fairly typical CA, reasonably nice detail but fits like excrement.

The RAN decal option is nice :)

I'm waiting for the Pilot Replicas kit to come out, I heard their technical adviser has a passing knowledge of the subject.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

The CA kit could have been good but for some reason it has a couple of idiotic mistakes that make it impossible to build accurately from the box.

The cockpit is a nice little replica of an FAW.20, problem is the rest of the kit is FAW-21/22/53 and very different from a 20.

You'll need to replace the entire right hand side, the radar display modify the instrument panel and the equipment mounted on the shelf behind the seats.

The rest of it is fairly typical CA, reasonably nice detail but fits like excrement.

I'm waiting for the Pilot Replicas kit to come out, I heard their technical adviser has a passing knowledge of the subject.

I heard about this,  apparently some Australian bloke who looks after venoms ??:idea:

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

I heard about this,  apparently some Australian bloke who looks after venoms ??:idea:

Selwyn

A common ruffian rotter and a bounder by all reputable accounts

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Thanks Steve for that information on the Classic Airframes Sea Venom - I've not heard of Pilot Replicas before so you are indeed the bearer of good news and I look forward to the ultimate FAW53 Sea Venom kit - sounds like their technical adviser knows his stuff!

I see kits in the background!??! Are you building this Venom in your bedroom! I think you'll have to do a bit more than take the windows out to move it when its done

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

NAVY870 Truly impressive .. and with Deepest Respect i say Excellent Work 👍 On your job Restoring this aircraft. I've done volunteer work here at a museum in the 1990's and helped restore both an F-86f, and a Grumman Goose to Flying Status.  Sadly the Museum is Gone now. 2 of the 3 founders died in quick succesion. One in that very same Grumman Goose Restoration. Those two Deaths closed that museum but the Memories of working and dedicating 3 years of my life to that place gave me a lifetime of memories. Im still hoping to find another museum to volunteer at someday. Until then i will be happy following stories like this. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've come late to this one, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it now, I think many here consider that you are "living the dream", thanks for sharing it with us. 

I look forward to seeing the Pilot Replica's kit too, I've got an Aeroclub kit stashed away in the meantime.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...