Interesting Car Door Typhoon Markings

mhaselden

There was an interesting thread on Hyperscale showing interesting markings on a 182 Sqn car door Typhoon:

Checker_gear_doors_zps2240cbaf.jpg

Chris Thomas chimed in that this is likely JP589, XM-Z, Flt Lt Keep's aircraft in the last few months of 1943 (note 'Z' on wing leading edges).

The underwing markings are Typhoon recognition markings - apparently some Tiffies also had a single yellow stripe above the wing (piccies courtesy of Modeldad who posted them on Hyperscale):

col-13_zps9b510790.jpg

fa_18498s_zpsb680ad8e.jpg

4394918998_b7f94c1bf1_o_zpsa64caf5c.jpg

yellowWing_zps0ba01bf6.jpg

I'd like to thank Chris and Steve for sharing pics and insights. Anyone know what colours were applied as the checkerboards in the first pic? Maybe just plain old black and white?

Cheers,
Mark

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 2

.......There was an interesting thread on Hyperscale showing interesting markings on a 182 Sqn car door Typhoon......

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

Well that is definitely against the official camo rules and regs..

good job that there is a photo to prove the deviation from normal.

sorry no idea on colours.

cheers

jerry

Not all coffin-tops had the blister. I think pilots complained that the mirror vibrated too much for it to be useful. IIRC, they were only fitted during the middle period of the production.

According to Chris, the markings were on Flight leaders' aircraft, as an aid to the others, to see him/them during taxying. I don't know if Typhoons were the same, but this is how fighters lined up for a stream take-off:-PICT0163_zpsc27d578a.jpg

I can see how it would have been possible to lose sight of other aircraft, during that.

If you're wondering about Flights of six, by 1945 the "finger-four" had been replaced by the "fluid six," though aircraft still fought in pairs.

Edgar

Not all coffin-tops had the blister. I think pilots complained that the mirror vibrated too much for it to be useful. IIRC, they were only fitted during the middle period of the production.

In 1/32 the Revell kit doesn't have it and in 1/48, the Hasegawa car-door kit also comes without it. The relevant Falcon 1/48 sets (Clearvax Set 31) comes with both car door types, dubbing them "early" and "late"., with I *think* the blister type denoted as "late".

I thought I'd posted a lengthy reply to this and othe Typhoon topics. Did I post it on another thread? Anyone seen it? Do I have to type it all out again? All this 1/24 excitement has been too much for me ...

CT

You mean recently? Are you sure you pressed "Post" after typing it? I can't find anything that looks like it.

Was it perhaps on *cough* another forum? (While obviously I have no first hand knowledge of such things, I am told by some heretics that they do exist)

Ah well, here we go again. In response to Mark and Jerry's Qs ...

No solid info on the inner door colours. These 182 Sqn examples are the earliest I have come across but later door markings were used to identify aircraft on approach or coming in off the runway, as an aid to ground crews/air traffic, and post war as decoration.

With this appearance of XM-Z we now have 3 examples on the squadron, all in summer/autumn 1943. I know Z was Flt Lt Keep's aircraft, I have a copy of his log. The other two appear in a couple of shots of 182 lining up for t/o at New Romney. One was XM-V EK395**, the CO's aircraft, with chequers (which I illustrated as black and white in 2ndTAF Vol4 but they could have been other colours). The other, unidentified, has diagonal stripes on the inner door, which I think would have been the A Flight commander's aircraft. They are distant shots and do not give any indication of the colours.

** I've just noticed that the serial in the Vol 4 caption is correct but the profile has the wrong serial! - PFT - Photoshop Finger Trouble.

The yellow wing stripe was introduced in September 1942 , 12" wide, encircling the wing in line with the inner cannon. It was superceded by the underwing black and white stripes and should have been totally removed. The message only seem to have been carried through on the 11Group units, 10 and 12 Group sqns carried the upper wing stripe until the summer of 1943.

The blister, as noted in earlier posts, was indeed for a circular, swivelling, rear view mirror, mounted on a horizontal bar. Introduced in autumn 42 and discontinued spring 43 due vibration.

Chris

Chris, probably the one that is now on page 3 of the Hyperscale thread.

Aargh, just too late Iain!! But thanks. At least I can correct the serial in the Hyperscale post!

Chris

Aargh, just too late Iain!! But thanks. At least I can correct the serial in the Hyperscale post!

Chris

Can only find my original post identifying XM-Z. My post about 2 hours ago remains missing. Replacement is posted above.