AIRFIX 1/24th TYPHOON picture heavy

Ok this is good - I need to follow this as I am looking at my kit thinking 'do I have the skill set to make this thing'!

Can you tie shoe laces and recall your own name? If the answer to both is 'yes', you're good to go. Don't be psych'd by the apparent complexity - it's a honey. Just test fit everything (however minor) before paint and have fun.

Wish you well with yours mate.

Steve :-)

• Like 2

Every time we have gone to add a bit of wire or an extra bit here andthere , Airfix have thought of everything, the wiring loom andpiping on the engine is amazing. There really is very little for aftermarket to add, even the instrument decals are superb,

So far, if a part hasnt fitted perfectly its because we have put it on wrong

Because as modellers we havebto gripe about something, the only thing i can come up with is the main gear legs are in 2 halves somi will have to clean up the seam, its disgusting and heinous and ruins the model entirely ;)

The seam disappears completely when the legs drop into the door recesses - I spent time cleaning up the seams only to discover they sit a little below 'line of sight'. Very much enjoying seeing you and your dad navigating the kit; great progress :-)

Steve

ok quick update engines cleaned up and well on there way making sure to colour match as much as possible.. few fiddly bits of details to add and lots more to go but an altogether stunning looking engine and looking great see photos belowDSC_0091_zps4aa8a113.jpgDSC_0093_zps93118f1d.jpgDSC_0096_zps80a2c90c.jpgDSC_0098_zps4e0d0182.jpgDSC_0097_zps193061e6.jpgDSC_0092_zps145a854c.jpgDSC_0094_zps763b2896.jpg

• Like 5

I remember seeing the kit at Telford and marvelling at the harnesses. We're so used to moulded in harnesses that when I realised they were separate parts I was utterly amazed. Its litte things like that that confirm the quality of the kit - Airfix have really tried and they seem to have succeded in spades. The model also looks lovely without the wings and fuselage - as displayed by Airfix at shows. Its almost worth them releasing just a 'naked' kit so that you can build just that - the 'Visible Typhoon' maybe?!

One quick question about the harnesses. I had an idea that the Typhoon had a normal Sutton Harness - a CK ? The kit harness has a quick release box which is certainy how things were at the end of the War. I suppose its one of those grey areas where both harnesses are correct, depending on time and airframe? Just curious, not critical!

Simon

Looking at that photo of the two builds side by side I couldn't help thinking that if this kit had come out a few years ago a fair amount of the production run would have disapeared into the hands of the Sci-Fi film special effects modellers.

Those spars and fuselage frames just cry out to be turned into a space craft.

Airfix have, IMHO, raised the bar for everyone with this kit, the texturing and patina they have achieved is truly excellent and i think all the other companies, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Hasegawa, HK, ZM, will turn to this style of finish,

Plenty will argue its not true scale or the rivets are toobig or the panel lines techincally too deep but i think it is the way to go and by far the best i have ever seen.

Bring on the 1/24 Swordfish, ( or Gladiator, or Sea fury or Corsair)

If Mr Airfix reads these forums, is say to him, do more of this, one a year , you have raised the bar and i will buy everything you produce in 24th

Mr Airfix stated at the talk at yeovilton that a 1/24 kit takes 4 years from idea to finished model he also said they do not have one in mind at the moment.

Rodders

Mr Airfix stated at the talk at yeovilton that a 1/24 kit takes 4 years from idea to finished model he also said they do not have one in mind at the moment.

Rodders

So that's a 1/24 Meteor and a 1/24 Beaufighter then.....

Peter

• Like 3

Brilliant work, gentlemen! Wow, the Sabre was a beast and great jobs on that! I'll put my tuppence in for a 1/24 scale Il-2 Shturmovik - it'll never happen in a month of Sundays, but one can always dream.

Regards,

Jason

Wow-o de tutti wowi! I saw the test shot at Telford; this makes it look even better.

That engine must have been an absolute cow to work on in real life - would make changing the fuel pump on an Austin 1800 look like child's play!

So a Zwillig Tiffie then? Excellent WHIF.

(too hot for a coat......)

Seriously, everyone who has seen the kit is raving on the exquisite detail. This can only bode well for 'normal' releases as some of the technology used here will trickle down to other scales. I believe there were hints in the 1/72 scale one. That being so, let's wait a couple of years for the next super detailed 1/72 kit.

Excellent builds so far and at a pace I could only dream about.

Trevor

Hi ! It is comparable with Tamiya excellent Mustang and Spitfire kits ? Or it is better ? Have too thin hood parts and magnetics lockers ? And on pictures of prototype kit looks a surface have a "wawes" between rivets and overlapping "metal" plates - and look it very realistic. It is on real model ? And how tall is finished kits ? 20cm ?

• Like 1

The kit is just like if not exactly the model in test shots...surface detail is amazing and compared to other airfix 1/24th model this kit is in a different league!

Hi ! It is comparable with Tamiya excellent Mustang and Spitfire kits ? Or it is better ? Have too thin hood parts and magnetics lockers ? And on pictures of prototype kit looks a surface have a "wawes" between rivets and overlapping "metal" plates - and look it very realistic. It is on real model ? And how tall is finished kits ? 20cm ?

Personally i think it knocks everything into a cocked hat and is now THE benchmark

The plumbing of the engine is a work of art and young mr Airfix CAD chappy can be rather proud of himself, you look at the instructions and thinks no way that will fit/jiggle/slot in there, but it does, every time,

The cowlings are void of interior detail but wit fit in place if one wishes them too, personally im leaving em in the spare box after using them for masking, theres no way im hiding that engine and its pipework

ok update for today... engine assembly on both aircraft finished and fully weathered 2 slightly different shades of paint used mine is the slightly darker model.....excellent builds with some very tricky detail to add after fitting engine. I recommend skipping on a few stages to install extra wiring and plumbing to make ease for later as it will drive you crazy although very accurate.. bottom section of wings on and lower undercarriag bays are assembled along with the gun bays again fully weathered and ready to take weaponary

see photos below.

DSC_0097_zps193061e6.jpgDSC_0099_zpsceaaf1a0.jpgDSC_0100_zpsed3f5b95.jpgDSC_0106_zps5b911b41.jpgDSC_0105_zps504ea40e.jpgDSC_0108_zps510e40cd.jpgDSC_0109_zps38a38396.jpg

• Like 3