1/35 Dragon "KingTiger" - Henschel (W/Zimmerit)

Here are some recent photos of my 1/35 KingTiger Build:

IMG_5329_zpsdafc6d60.jpg

Very nice kit from Dragon with absolutely loads and loads of parts! + Metal barrel and brass shells :)

Construction is almost complete, painting Detailing and Weathering to follow:

IMG_5330_zps307bfeba.jpg

Photo-etch grills:

IMG_5331_zpsd2389f3d.jpg

Steel Wire:

IMG_5332_zps374fc7b1.jpg

The Track racks are particularly fiddley on the turret sides as there are no marking for attachment, just careful and accurate placement. Only one side complete so far.

IMG_5333_zps2bddb408.jpg

IMG_5335_zps7be0f70c.jpg

IMG_5336_zps17d1646e.jpg

IMG_5337_zps18457f33.jpg

IMG_5339_zps3f49c5c0.jpg

Some of the sub assemblies - immense detail for some of the parts will not be seen.

IMG_5342_zpsb8a0a6ed.jpg

• Like 2

This is my First AFV build!

I have enjoyed it but it's been much more time consuming, due to all the small parts than i initially thought.

I recommend this kit fore anyone wishing to build a 1944 Production version of this legendary WW2 tank. The turned metal barrel for the 88mm L71 gun is truly amazing piece of art in itself :)

The Zimmerit also looks good in this scale, not overdone at all. The only point worth mentioning is that the colour assembly guide provided is very basic and needs careful attention, as not to miss of small detail parts.

The Magic tracks are very time consuming and i'm still not sure how well they are going to go together yet.

Thanks,

Originally I made a mod to both front drive sprockets and idler wheels, in order for them to rotate freely using mini screws and washers.

Then realising with all the wheels and sprockets etc. able to turn was never going to work with Magic tracks :banghead:

Poly caps like Tamiya was the idea but not possible.

So a simple mod to revert as per the original kit assembly :thumbsup:

Edited by Silverstone 2

Hi Matt,

Indeed it is, I'm making this 1/35 version in preparation of my 1/16 version. Your thread is a huge inspiration.

All my modelling expertise is in Aircraft (1/32 in particular). From what I've been researching weathering and detail painting is key on these AFVs (in & out).

So I'm trying my hand first on this KingTiger. I've also got Dragon 1/35 Tiger 1 in the waiting too.

Such a shame that the only 1/16 Tigers are the HobbyBoss/Tamiya versions, yet no Trumpeter one with interior detailing.

Thanks Agent G,

Airbrushing has started today with the MM Panzer Enamels. Although Root Braun MM Enamel (RAL8012) is hard to acquire in the UK, so I made my own using Revell #37 as a base.

More pics to follow

Painting has now commenced, although i'm using the MM panzer colour range and not everything is what it seems?

Panzer interior Buff - looks absolutely correct and results are as expected.

IMG_5349_zpsdba9689b.jpg

Panzer Dunkelgelb - looks a bit olive rather than sand/light tan colour

IMG_5348_zps20ee8306.jpg

IMG_5345_zps6dd8f412.jpg

I've made a home build paint for Root Braun, which looks right although the pictures show it to be a lot more brick colour:

IMG_5346_zps24681694.jpg

Let me know what you think about the dunkelgelb

I've also started on the interior detailing, which incidentally will not be visible but i thought i'd have a go anyway as this is my first AFV.

IMG_5350_zps2d2bd726.jpg

IMG_5352_zps6849bee5.jpg

IMG_5354_zpsc832b025.jpg

comments welcome

Great start to the painting. Got to agree with you about the dunklegleb though, It looks a little too dark / olive in colour. The weathering process will likely darken the colours further so you want to allow room for that too.

Maybe try adding some sand / buff colours to the mix to lighten it. Once you have painted the base colours and camo you could also give it a light over spray of buff. It will lighten the colours and is also good for producing a dusty effect which would be great for the Normandy setting.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks Matt,

What do you recommend for an enamel Root Braun? I know you can get the Vallejo Oxide prime but that's acrylic.

I'm still hunting for MM's RAL 8012 but you cant seem to buy it in the UK, just need a Satin Enamel that's close. Revell #37 is definitely more of brick colour I think.

I will try your suggestion, to go more tan in colour for the outside camo scheme.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Some more progress:

Think the base coat (now mixed) looks more like the Tan/Sand colour i want to start with.

Magic tracks are taking an age, almost there now. There will be un upper and lower half to both sides, seems the best way for easy access.

IMG_5377_zpsc4b1b89f.jpg

IMG_5378_zps671cf7d2.jpg

IMG_5375_zps61de949d.jpg

IMG_5376_zpse8626585.jpg

IMG_5374_zpsf2604583.jpg

• Like 1

Dunkelgelb was a greenish dark yellow straight from the can. Obviously with exposure to the elements this faded a little.

Later on in the war, a lack of resources meant it was altered to a more sand yellow hue.

It's a great start to an excellent kit - definitely one to watch.

Cheers

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thats looking really good.

regards oz!.