1:48 B17 Sally B

This is my big build for 2014. I love going to see Sally B at Duxford and want to do a hyperscale model of her. I have decided to do a fictional diorama of her at a USAF base somewhere in the UK in 1944. I am using 2 Revell B17 kits to kit and shut into one aircraft.

Sally B will be painted to represent the various colour schemes she has shown over the years, this will be done by having a khaki green front and rear fuselage with a metallic midsection and yellow tail. The decals are from kitworld.

I have spent 18 months collecting all the kits and detailed elements for the kit. It is going to have a full Truedetail resin interior (including bomb bay) and weighted wheels, metal undercarriage and full Biged photoetch upgrade.

Other item include the Tamiya refuelling set and USAF weapons tractor and trolly. I have also got a resin genrator and extra bomb trolly, finishing off with a follow me jeep and resin USAF bomber crew.

This is going to be an epic and long build that will test all my skills and will at certain points be a steep learning curve....

B17_zps70678230.jpg

Edited by RMCS
  • Like 9

Did not know about the Verlinden crew either - will be watching with interest. I had the plan to do a cutaway version of the fuselage only with all the True Detail bits but only gathered the parts so far. Wonder if I will ever do this. But why do you want to cut and shut with two kits?

Rene

I think I just answered my question - I think the B-17F is inferior to the B-17G model so you probably use the G model were possible and the F parts were needed?

• Like 1

Sally B is a bit of a mish mash due to it being used in various TV series and films, I need some bits of the fuselage from both kits to make an accurate representation..... It will certainly give me plenty of headaches!

• Like 1

B171_zps5ca335b7.jpg

So techincal challenge with PE today..really pleased with the progress, just a nightmare working out what to fix before painting and what not to!!!!

• Like 2