4 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hmm I painted mine Gunmetal (and my pot of humbrol 53 is on the darker side), maybe I should have used revell steel...

How about dry-brushing on lighter shades of silver such as Hu11 over the Hu53? That may give the cowls an irregular metalic look similar to what can be seen on the real thing.

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hmm I painted mine Gunmetal (and my pot of humbrol 53 is on the darker side), maybe I should have used revell steel...

The black paint was supposedly heat proof to prevent the collector rings glowing at night. Here hopefully is that thread: 

Regards,

5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Another Q, I've noticed there seems to be a finger smudge in the gloss coat of my p-40 over one upper roundel, what size were the wing roundels on a 112sqn p-40 so I can find a suitable set in the spares box? 

Can you hold the ones from the spares box up against the one with the fingerprint? That will tell you which is right?

Rob 

• Like 1

There are 20 days until the end of this GB and my two current builds are progressing well so I reckon I've got time to do another couple of builds (possibly more if I really put my mind to it).

The trouble is I can't decide what. I've got a Smer Fulmar, a Smer Kittyhawk III and the last kit from an AZ Spitfire MkV Joypack but I also fancy doing a Spitfire VC (using the spares in the Sword Seafire III), a 3 squadron RAAF Mustang or a 450 Squadron RAAF Kittyhawk IV or a Hurricane I Trop (using an old Aifix kit).

Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

There are 20 days until the end of this GB and my two current builds are progressing well so I reckon I've got time to do another couple of builds (possibly more if I really put my mind to it).

The trouble is I can't decide what. I've got a Smer Fulmar, a Smer Kittyhawk III and the last kit from an AZ Spitfire MkV Joypack but I also fancy doing a Spitfire VC (using the spares in the Sword Seafire III), a 3 squadron RAAF Mustang or a 450 Squadron RAAF Kittyhawk IV or a Hurricane I Trop (using an old Aifix kit).

Decisions, decisions.

I'll give that Spit VC a vote for rarity value alone, well that and the fact they look cool with the big chin and f-off big guns, while a Hurricane I Trop also get a vote for the same reasons :D 

• Like 3

I've got three on the go and five candidates remaining. The Mosquito's masks arrived today so she's a step nearer the end, I'm pressing on with the P-40 and Upholder so my remaining picks for the GB are:

1/35 Matilda in 'Malta scheme'

1/48 Fiat CR.42

1/48 Sea Gladiator in either Navy or TLS finish

1/48 Hurricane Mk.I Trop 261 Sqn

1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vc 3-M

Probably that's the order I'd choose to build them - that way if anything goes too horribly wrong with either of the 'bipes' I can redeem myself with a Spit or a Hurry!

• Like 1

On 5 December 2016 at 9:42 PM, Col. said:

I'll give that Spit VC a vote for rarity value alone, well that and the fact they look cool with the big chin and f-off big guns, while a Hurricane I Trop also get a vote for the same reasons :D 

Based on your advice, I've dug a Sword Seafire III out of the stash and had a look through the spares box for the bits to make a Spitfire VC. All I have to do now, apart from making it, is to decide what decals to use (I have the Hannants 'Fighters over Africa and Mediteranean' parts 1 and 2).

• Like 2

Well this has been a most enjoyable group build, not quite go to plan, but I'm happy with my 6 finished subjects, wether that's becomes 7 remains to be seen, suspect i won't manage to make satisfactory tail struts for my 109.....go luck to those still working on projects as we run to an end

• Like 1

I'm deleting the Fiat from my list of candidates, as I won't get the camo done in time.

That leaves the Spit and Hurricane as relatively straightforward builds, the Matilda as a tricky paint job and the Gladiator as a nerve-wracking wing alignment exercise.

At the moment I'm leaning towards:

Gladiator first then Spit then Hurricane then Matilda.

What think you, chaps?

• Like 1

I've just totted up who's modelled what so far... and also checked the calendar! Gladiator and Hurricane and then I think time will get the better of me. And with 30-odd Spitfires to salivate over I don't think any more are needed!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beard said:

Although a Gladiator and a Hurricane are interesting, let me remind you of the old saying 'there can never be too many Spitfires'.

I believe Air Vice Marshal Lloyd first said this in a message to RAF HQ.

• Like 3