On 22/10/2016 at 16:35, Giorgio N said:

And not only Tony has contributed a lot to this GB, anyone interested in WW2 RAF subjects should look for the articles he's written on several different MTO subjects that have appeared on a number of magazines, they are all highly recommended references

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Place-Beginners-Battle-1940-September/dp/1905414188

This book will tell you how Fulmar crews used to deter attacks from enemy fighters.  

Tony...   we need Volume 2!

• Like 1

Fellow Luftwaffe builders,

I am in a quandary as to the actual construction of the filter under the meshed areas of the tropical filter for a Bf 109E-7.  Eduard have given a solid piece with the two end pieces standing proud and the PE wraps around to form the exterior of three sides. Should I remove the majority of the solid plastic, leaving just the back face, effectively leaving the area under the mesh hollow? I shall have to have a closer look through my references but at first glance they provide no answer.

Also, according to Merrick in "German Aircraft Interiors", the E-7 carried external an fuel tank, it had the visual fuel pipe arrangement on the starboard cockpit wall, similar to F and later series aircraft. Anybody share some light on that assertion? Certainly not Eduard as it isn't mentioned and others do not mention it either.

Any help gladly appreciated.

Regards,

On 23/10/2016 at 11:13 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Place-Beginners-Battle-1940-September/dp/1905414188

This book will tell you how Fulmar crews used to deter attacks from enemy fighters.  

Tony...   we need Volume 2!

Thanks Enzo,.......although Vol 2 is part written,..including the chapter which was cut from Vol 1 at the last moment against my control...I`m afraid it won`t be happening mate,...... sorry! 

Cheers

Tony

I`d really like to build a model of this HS-126 captured by 450 Sqn RAAF,...BUT does anybody have an idea or feeling about the camouflage colours?

Image result for hs 126 captured raaf

Now it was obviously repainted from its original German colours,....... but was it Dk.Earth and Dark Green or Ocean Grey and Dark Green or something else? Here is a colour side view in the latter scheme;

I`d be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject,....

Cheers

Tony

Right started my beau 1C, obviously theres the conversion set for the early tail and exhausts, but of the parts in the airfix kit where else would I deviate from the base instructions? 

also it appears my chosen subject needs spinners, are they the same as te ones in the firedog boxing? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

One more photo:

450_Squadron_Libya_c_1942_Hs_126B_1_OK.j

Possibly three schemes to choose from?  My opinion is a bit biased based on what was already written here:

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7166&sid=3cbeea7f40f109678c119de24f812862

It looks on initial capture, only enough repainting was done to cover up German markings.  Afterwards, a more cleaner repaint was given, colour scheme depending on when and where 450 Sqn was situated, following the scheme on their regular inventory at that time.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

On 30/10/2016 at 2:32 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Right started my beau 1C, obviously theres the conversion set for the early tail and exhausts, but of the parts in the airfix kit where else would I deviate from the base instructions? 

also it appears my chosen subject needs spinners, are they the same as te ones in the firedog boxing? 

So the tail and exhaust are obvious. As a 1c the little bulges on the engine cowl are not present since the earlier engine didn't need the extra clearance over the rocker covers (I think) and there was usually no wing guns.

The earlier spinners were slightly different but in 72nd I think you'll get away with using the late type.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2014 at 5:40 AM, vppelt68 said:

HI, 

I was wondering if I could join in this GB. I have an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk IX and wish to build it into a Spitfire Mk XIII -  the below airplane

20161105_104316_RichtoneHDR_zpsepuf3hxv.

Markings:

20161026_064923_RichtoneHDR_zpsicg53sek.

20161026_064934_RichtoneHDR_zpsxaaapgj8.

This is from the book Fighters over Italy and comes with decals for the option

20161026_065347_RichtoneHDR_zpskgutmhrw.

I hope this is ok with the GB Admin?? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

If you don't try you will never know!

I'll give it my best shot. Luckily, Tony O'T has already done Kittyhawk IIa and a IV so I can keep the Special Hobby and Hasegawa kits for another day.

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I think we need more Kittyhawks!

Okay, as soon as I've found a scheme I can cobble together from my spare decals I'll make a start on the AZ P-40E as a Kittyhawk 1a and one of the Smer IIIs.

Mind you, I've also started two AZ Spitfire VBs. One will be using left-over USAAF decals from my Neville Duke build, the other be from the Xtradecals 'Fighters over the Mediteranean' sheet and have a Sword Kittyhawk 1a to finish.

I've also got a longing to build a Hurricane from the Xtradecals sheet, a Blenheim and I did promise a Baltimore...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Beard said:

I'll give it my best shot. Luckily, Tony O'T has already done Kittyhawk IIa and a IV so I can keep the Special Hobby and Hasegawa kits for another day.

Okay, as soon as I've found a scheme I can cobble together from my spare decals I'll make a start on the AZ P-40E as a Kittyhawk 1a and one of the Smer IIIs.

Mind you, I've also started two AZ Spitfire VBs. One will be using left-over USAAF decals from my Neville Duke build, the other be from the Xtradecals 'Fighters over the Mediteranean' sheet and have a Sword Kittyhawk 1a to finish.

I've also got a longing to build a Hurricane from the Xtradecals sheet, a Blenheim and I did promise a Baltimore...

You're going to be busy!

• Like 1

On 6 November 2016 at 6:29 PM, Beard said:

Are you going after Tony's record Simon.... :o 

would love to see the baltimore made... Just saying

Rob

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rob85 said:

Are you going after Tony's record Simon.... :o 

would love to see the baltimore made... Just saying

Rob

I doubt I could match the number Tony has made in this GB and I know that I can't match his quality. 

Sorry to disappoint you but doubt that the Baltimore will get made. I haven't got the room to display many more single-engined aircraft let alone any twin-engined ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Right, my beaufighter has the copper coloured cowlings, guessing I should paint it something like humbrol copper? 

No! Go with a dark silver to better represent the burnt metal they actually were ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks col, I've to my immense annoyance spotted yet another problem, the intakes are different to the MkX being shorter.....thanks alleycatm not really a Mk1 conversion set.....

Aren't there 'short' intakes in the Airfix box?

• Like 1

On 14/11/2016 at 11:37 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Right, my beaufighter has the copper coloured cowlings, guessing I should paint it something like humbrol copper? 

The copper colour is a long established and incorrect trend started way back somewhere. They are indeed steel coloured and merely took on a burnt discoloured shade, which somebody somewhere took for copper. There is a really good thread here somewhere on BM that discusses the issue. If I can find it again, I will post a link. I think it is in the build thread somewhere. In the mean time this is how I treated my Beaufighter. A base coat of steel, followed by a very thin mix of brown/black. AK interactive chipping and black top coat. Scrub to desired finish:

5A315FEF-4D39-4D46-B2FF-71298F92FC95_zps

4022341B-162D-4849-8154-6783232989D2_zps

69884238-BA7B-4590-A3F9-30F52FF12015_zps

9B6E4826-D2D1-4DC2-A6CB-C1B932C0DAA6_zps

56775B19-D8A6-46AD-8C75-2C828DBE550F_zps

Regards,

• Like 4