Thanks V-P.

A Hellcat is indeed quite likely, for one thing I've actually got the kit in the stash and the markings are easy to come by (having just checked the "Big H's" website.

I would love to do the Dauntless but I'm not sure I will have enough time with my other builds, I do have the kit just not the markings though once again there are some out there. Looks like the Hellcat is moving closer to the top of the pile!

As for the other subjects I want to do I will carry on after the GB so keep watching the RFI section. There are some I can fit into other pending GB's, such as the Mustang one if I get other builds out of the way in time.

Craig.

Presumably, so long as I chose a Med based scheme I could enter 'Tanky-McBoatface', my 1/76 LWS into this GB.....My efforts on it thus far have probably actually increased my workload rather than decreased it!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I just realized as was starting my thread in the Mustang STGB is that there is only one Mustang in this here!! While they weren't used in large numbers they were quite active here. Plus I think everyone has also forgotten about the A-36 Apache as well (500 were built), she was predominantly used in this theater, plus some were used in Burma.

If time permits I may straddle this GB and the Mustang STGB with an A-36 I'm building. THIS one will be an OBB build as my bench is straining under the weight of my current builds!! 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

And I'm definetly doing a beuafighter mk1 now, just won one slightly cheap on eBay :) now to order the alleycat set 

Actually on that note, is there any reason to order the alleycat set over the AML one? Will save me a few quick as I can put it in my next hannants order 

Hi All. Bit late to this one but I'd like to join in with a new Eduard Spitfire Mk IX using the kit scheme for MJ250 as UFoQ No 601 Sqn Italy, Summer 1944.

Hope that's OK?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Actually on that note, is there any reason to order the alleycat set over the AML one? Will save me a few quick as I can put it in my next hannants order 

The AML set is designed for the Hasegawa kit, while the Alley Cat set is for the Airfix kit. Construction of the tail area is very different on the two kits.   In addition, the AML set just provides the tailplanes. You would need to find suitable exhausts and collector rings from elsewhere, or modify the kit parts.  However, this isn't exactly a difficult task. 

5 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The AML set is designed for the Hasegawa kit, while the Alley Cat set is for the Airfix kit. Construction of the tail area is very different on the two kits.   In addition, the AML set just provides the tailplanes. You would need to find suitable exhausts and collector rings from elsewhere, or modify the kit parts.  However, this isn't exactly a difficult task. 

Fair enough, the xtra postage looks very reasonable now , thanks Enzo (and for your post in the X planes GB) :)

plus to add to the possible choices for someone even at this late stage.

How about a Brazilian P-47D?? They had a squadron operating the the MTO, mainly in ground attack duties which was something they were very successful in!!

You can't have enough "Jugs" in a GB!! :D    Here's a little something I made earlier!

DSCF3054_zpse0hlqagb.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Hi All. Bit late to this one but I'd like to join in with a new Eduard Spitfire Mk IX using the kit scheme for MJ250 as UFoQ No 601 Sqn Italy, Summer 1944.

Hope that's OK?

Well of course that's OK, welcome!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2016 at 1:26 AM, trickyrich said:

I just realized as was starting my thread in the Mustang STGB is that there is only one Mustang in this here!! While they weren't used in large numbers they were quite active here. Plus I think everyone has also forgotten about the A-36 Apache as well (500 were built), she was predominantly used in this theater, plus some were used in Burma.

If time permits I may straddle this GB and the Mustang STGB with an A-36 I'm building. THIS one will be an OBB build as my bench is straining under the weight of my current builds!! 

Actually there were quite a few Mustangs in the MTO with the USAAF that equipped with P-51s 4 fighter groups of the 15th Air Force, all with very colourful markings. The RAF and RAAF also used the type in some numbers. And then as you said there the A-36s...

I originally considered building a Mustang to go with my Thunderbolt as I'm trying to build arcrafts of all Fighter Groups serving over Italy (and built one for the previous Mustang STGB II) but then noticed that there's plenty of allied types being built and not as many Italian ones so decided to build some of these

Speaking of Mustangs over Italy, the very popular Airfix new tool P-51D comes with markings for one of the units from this theatre

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

Sorry to veer from the Mustang theme.

Early Bf109E sometimes had a horizontal splitter plate in the oil cooler. Would you think it a safe bet to say that aircraft in Libya would have had it removed in the field?

Regards,

On 10/6/2016 at 8:37 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Here's a question for the experts, in doing the mk1 beau from the xtradecal Malta sheet, it's shown in the temperate sea camo, but I've also seen the same example depicted as temperate land, who which is it? 

Also theres a hurricane 242sqn IIC on the same sheet that I've heard might have been painted Dark Earth/Dark Green & Sky or Medium Sea Grey...have I heard right

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Sorry to veer from the Mustang theme.

Early Bf109E sometimes had a horizontal splitter plate in the oil cooler. Would you think it a safe bet to say that aircraft in Libya would have had it removed in the field?

Regards,

I recall reading somewhere, when an aircraft would have engine maintenance performed, that ground crews did not bother putting the splitter plate back in place.

408845-189b94b1527442c6a9fbe64625e5233a.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Also theres a hurricane 242sqn IIC on the same sheet that I've heard might have been painted Dark Earth/Dark Green & Sky or Medium Sea Grey...have I heard right

Tony OT wrote a book on it (No place for beginners, all about Maltas air battle)and probably helped with the research in the sheet you may want to ask him, he can be extremely helpful

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

A decal question - I have some Zvezda 1/100 armour left over from the GPW group build (Matilda, Stuart, Lee). They come without decals as standard. Does anyone know of a source of British/US decals of a suitable size and time frame? All I can find is intended for NW Europe after D Day.

Andy

So I've let the heinkel get the better of me, why do always get punished for being ambitious with my builds? Anyway the latest in a long line of disasters recently, even made a hash of an airfix mk1 spit...perhaps I should take a break till next week and start the beuafighter as clean slate....:(

Thought I'd link in my WIP so anyone interested can find it: 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009512-148-bf-109-the-dreaded-eduard-g/

Hopefully that links, but then again I have the tinterwebz know-how of a brick! (Just ask Mrs Mama...)

Any advice on how to improve my build is much appreciated!  

:thanks:

13 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

So I've let the heinkel get the better of me, why do always get punished for being ambitious with my builds? Anyway the latest in a long line of disasters recently, even made a hash of an airfix mk1 spit...perhaps I should take a break till next week and start the beuafighter as clean slate....:(

Stu, remember it´s only plastic! Indeed it has our precious money and valueable hobby hours invested in, but in the end the biggest loss is in the glorious image of the final result we had in our minds, that just was not to be. The disappointment is bad, but can be overtaken with starting a fresh new kit - maybe not today, maybe tomorrow, whenever it feels right! V-P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plasto said:

I'm thinking of entering with a build of the Trumpeter 1/32 Wildcat as a Martlet III 805 NAS I think that qualifies for this GB. Let me know if not.

Cheers

Plasto

Welcome, Plasto and the Martlet. Build two of them and make it sound like a band! V-P