Well we'll be having Manchuria included in the Eastern front GB so why not these African subjects in a Mediterranean GB?

(using the mobile version of this site doesn't allow me to use all those various Smilies showing me behaving badly and doing several indecent gestures). Luckily that!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been shopping and all the kits, apart from a zero, all appear to be for this GB! So now there are two categories, twins and singles...

Twins: airfix 1/72 beaufighter, Revell 1/72 Boston, Revell 1/72 Hudson (shame I don't have another lend lease twin really... Oh well there is time.)

Singles: (Malta merlins... I mean it has to be done really) airfix 1/72 spit vb, airfix new tool MKiic will mkiib wing set as well. (Mediterranean Hawks) airfix p-40b tomahawk, and academy p-40e kittyhawk....

Decisions decisions!

Rob

Edited by rob85

• 1 month later...

ok I was tossing up whether to build either a SM.79 or Macchi C.202 in 1/48th.....but that was until this little beauty showed up!!!! :wub::wub::wub:

DSCF3094_zpsmrguzwgp.jpg

It's a beautiful Craftworks 1/32nd Macchi C.202/205 resin/multimedia kit (was actually cheaper than the 1/48 Hasegawa version!), I'm now planning to do the C.205 version with some special decals. No extra bits required as it comes with everything.....it even has 4 sheets of decals and a chain to hold the seat in place!?!?! :blink:

Just can't wait for this build now!

• Like 4

What version of camo are you planning to do?! The one in the original scheme like the 202 or are you going to use the German scheme with RLM 74/75/76?!?! I still have a 1/35 205 from 21st century models on my shelf of shame. I will finish it in the German scheme.

o, I also have a few Hasegawa 1/48 202's/205's in the stash for the future. They were all bought second hand on some shows.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I'm going to do he smokey one as I have a set of the Mike Grant Smoke green decals....even I'm not silly enough to try and paint them! Though I may still change the schemes, their's 4 sheets of decals, and every squadron that ever used the C.202/C.205 is represented!

What version of camo are you planning to do?! The one in the original scheme like the 202 or are you going to use the German scheme with RLM 74/75/76?!?! I still have a 1/35 205 from 21st century models on my shelf of shame. I will finish it in the German scheme.
o, I also have a few Hasegawa 1/48 202's/205's in the stash for the future. They were all bought second hand on some shows.

Cheers,

I've read some really good reviews on those Century Models, you should bring it out and sort it out! Now you have me tempted to get one and do another colour scheme!!

Gosh, I need to learn more about the Macchi. A RLM coloured one would look nice next to my smoke ringed one... But first I'd need to find another Frog kit, of course

I found I have an awesome book on Italian aircraft during the war, "Courage Alone - The Italian Air Force 1940-43", there is so much interesting material an info in it. I may have to star building a few more Italian aircraft!

An opportunity to dust off my old Airfix Hs.126 and cobble together some suitable decals :winkgrin: .

I'm thinking maybe 'in flight' too, so that I can use the crew figures....

• 4 weeks later...

I can't make up my mind between these two kits for this GB.

132000-11185_zpsjagi9afc.jpg

112185-11185_zpsszlhfhyp.jpg

I want to build a SAAF 16 squadron subject (after reading Path of Duty by Graeme Gibson), so either a Maryland based at Addis Ababa in 1941 (which I got approval for) or a North Africa Beaufort Mk.Ia in 1943.

Easy answer will be to do both, but I won't have enough time. Also decals will be a major issue since I am not aware of any 16 squadron specific decals in existence so I will have to choose a subject without any squadron markings and also find a technique to paint the a/c serials. The roundels I can probably get from other SAAF sheets, or paint them myself.

• Like 3

Easy answer will be to do both, but I won't have enough time. Also decals will be a major issue since I am not aware of any 16 squadron specific decals in existence so I will have to choose a subject without any squadron markings and also find a technique to paint the a/c serials. The roundels I can probably get from other SAAF sheets, or paint them myself.

Both the a/c serials and squadron codes are available on sheets of decals from the likes of Hannants. The a/c codes can be bought in 4, 6 and 8 inch red or black. The squadron codes come in alphabet sheets in the most common sizes and the three main colours; sky, grey and red.

I want to build a SAAF 16 squadron subject (after reading Path of Duty by Graeme Gibson), so either a Maryland based at Addis Ababa in 1941 (which I got approval for) or a North Africa Beaufort Mk.Ia in 1943.

Personally I'd go with the Maryland, it's one of those often forgotten types that however gave its contribution to the war effort in the Med. theatre.

Serials can be either made from generic sheets as said above or home-printed if black. Codes can again be found on generic sheets or masked and painted

• Like 1

Both the a/c serials and squadron codes are available on sheets of decals from the likes of Hannants. The a/c codes can be bought in 4, 6 and 8 inch red or black. The squadron codes come in alphabet sheets in the most common sizes and the three main colours; sky, grey and red.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to look out for that. Will make my life a lot easier.

Cheers

Personally I'd go with the Maryland, it's one of those often forgotten types that however gave its contribution to the war effort in the Med. theatre.

Serials can be either made from generic sheets as said above or home-printed if black. Codes can again be found on generic sheets or masked and painted

Thanks for your reply Giorgio. You make a good point, the Maryland was a lot less common than the Beaufort and will make a special subject.

Cheers

Good afternoon to All

About the Italian colors I will help anyone requests it, the German colors (RLM), they were used after the armistice (08 September 1943) in some aircraft of the National Republican Air Force ( ANR ) in northern Italy.

The basic rules are: From 1939 we had first camouflage colors until summer 1941, but there was much anarchy in the schemes of the squadrons; then, to standardize all was used the Color Table n°10, used steadily since 1942; many colors of the Table 10, however, were used since 1940, just because they were on the list of the first camouflage colors.

In short, quite a quagmire, but you tell me the plane and the year and I can help you

Ettore

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

132000-11185_zpsjagi9afc.jpg

112185-11185_zpsszlhfhyp.jpg

Or do both and have one as 39 Sqn beau on Malta and the other as Adrian warburton' maryland!!

Currently I have myself in a pickle for this GB! List of builds I have put by currently with the gb in mind....

Academy p-40

Airfix p-40

Airfix spitfire mkv b x3 (and possible VC butchery)

Airfix hurricane mk iib

Airfix beaufighter

Airfix marauder

Italeri b-25j

Revell Boston

😳

Time to start narrowing down the options...

Current favourites

Trio of Malta spitfires

Trio of twin engine bombers

Pair of Hawks + pair of merlins

Hmmmm

Rob

• Like 1

I'd throw in a vote for the Maryland. :thumbsup:

But I do have a bit of a vested interest.....If you are not going to use them is there any chance I could buy/borrow/blag your Vichy markings from the Maryland kit. I tried forever to get that release but had to make to with the FAFL version as it was all I could get hold of at the time. :pray:

• Like 1