Airfix 1/48th Spitfire Vb - a look in the box

John

If anyone would like anything photographed in more detail, let me know.

NewSpit1_zps1975d18b.jpg

NewSpit2_zps7b1ffd33.jpg

NewSpit3_zpsec7b6c43.jpg

NewSpit4_zps8074ee3b.jpg

NewSpit5_zps93c68780.jpg

NewSpit7_zps8e032727.jpg

NewSpit6_zps9ff89795.jpg

NewSpit11_zpse7704f23.jpg

NewSpit10_zpse1258d98.jpg

NewSpit8_zps4728d145.jpg

NewSpit9_zpscb56d49e.jpg

NewSpit12_zpsbe457a0e.jpg

NewSpit13_zps3d735e46.jpg

NewSpit14_zps23f28486.jpg

NewSpit15_zps7f4d7df2.jpg

NewSpit17_zps05a37c1d.jpg

One interesting point is that the outer wingtip can be removed and either a solid plastic or a transparent "clipped" tip can be added. Not required for either of these versions but maybe "IR*G" could be along in the not-too-distant.

NewSpit16_zps7b9f5808.jpg

John

• Like 3

Given the arrangements of the parts on the sprues I'm confident we'll see "A" and "C" wings eventually. Seafires might be a different matter though, as there doesn't seem to be provision for an arrestor hook insert in the fuselage mouldings.

John

Given the arrangements of the parts on the sprues I'm confident we'll see "A" and "C" wings eventually. Seafires might be a different matter though, as there doesn't seem to be provision for an arrestor hook insert in the fuselage mouldings.

John

As the Seafire fuselage featured extra strengthening I would imagine it to be the case it will be on a sprue of its own, if Airfix decide to offer it that is.

Thanks for posting the pics John - very interesting thread. This really does look like a great kit doesn't it? i wonder if the problem with the armoured fuel tank cover has been addressed, as was hinted at in the AMW piece recently. Not that it will stop me getting one!

Cheers,Roger

For those of us who haven't seen the AMW piece, what is the alleged problem? (this is at least the second reference to this I've seen)

bob

Evidently the offending item is part D33 which, by all accounts, stands a little too 'proud' of the rest of the forward upper fuselage when fitted. According to AMW this was acknowledged by the Airfix research team but not in sufficient time to correct the moulds. It is stressed that the issue is very minor in nature and can be easily remedied with a little test fitting, sanding, further test fitting etc. I know this may be beyond the realms for some and I have little doubt that there will be cries about 'buildability' etc…..standby for the inevitable whining from some quarters !. For the rest of us, where the use of craft knives, sanding sticks and some filler is not an alien concept, crack on. It looks like a great kit with a huge number of possibilities for future variants. It really does like Airfix are sticking to their 'master plan' to deliver top quality kits now and in the future that cover every mark of Spitfire and Seafire ever built !.

Well done again !

Thanks. Were the participants aware that the fuel tank cover on Spitfires was of a heavier gauge as a form of crude armour protection? This piece SHOULD stand a little proud of the surrounding skin. But perhaps one option didn't fit as well as the other.

bob

Evidently the offending item is part D33 which, by all accounts, stands a little too 'proud' of the rest of the forward upper fuselage when fitted. According to AMW this was acknowledged by the Airfix research team but not in sufficient time to correct the moulds. It is stressed that the issue is very minor in nature and can be easily remedied with a little test fitting, sanding, further test fitting etc. I know this may be beyond the realms for some and I have little doubt that there will be cries about 'buildability' etc…..standby for the inevitable whining from some quarters !. For the rest of us, where the use of craft knives, sanding sticks and some filler is not an alien concept, crack on. It looks like a great kit with a huge number of possibilities for future variants. It really does like Airfix are sticking to their 'master plan' to deliver top quality kits now and in the future that cover every mark of Spitfire and Seafire ever built !.

Well done again !

Hi:

That's a fair summary of the position, so thanks for that.

D33 (for the Malta option) was designed within the CAD to sit proud 0.1mm. When I tried it in situ (sans cockpit tub), it sat proud to the point of being a visible step, so I reduced it to that 'just proud' all round objective of the CAD. Oddly, the Duxford cover was a better fit.

The design team sent me a couple of pics of the kit built up in grey primer, where the cover looked fine. Close examination of the images left me certain it was fitted with the Duxford cover, not D33. In essence, my further enquiries are yet to yield knowledge of the team's findings in the wake my report and I'm waiting on getting a full prod kit to compare the build up.

Either way, it's not a deal breaker in any sense though.

I have re-played the scenario in my mind over and over from the 'what did I do wrong' point of view but the engineering dictates there's only the one way, so we'll see. I would reiterate and re-emphasise not to glue the finished tub but leave it 'floating', so that if the IP fouls it slightly, the tub can depress downwards to absorb the discrepancy. Again, I'm looking forward to re-examining all this with a full prod kit.

Wish you well with yours.

Steve

Edited by Dances With Wolves

Thanks for the clarification, Steve (and Tiger)- glad to see that my "assumptions" (or deductions?) were pretty on-track. Funny thing- I yesterday got the new Revell 1/32 Spit, and I keep looking at parts expecting to see the shapes of the Airfix Vb kit (which I don't have YET).

bob

Edited by gingerbob

If you have used Techmod sheets before then you will probably not need telling, but if you are new to them -

The decals tend to be very thin and conform extremely well, but can be fragile and also are prone to 'grabbing' where they are first applied. They are not something you can move around with impunity once on the model.

I recommend clearcoating the sheet before you use it (I use either Microscale clear decal film or Halfords gloss clear aerosol lacquer)

And put a LOT of water under each decal, because you need to get the position right while it is floating on a film of water. Once it touches the surface it is likely to stick hard.

• Like 2

If you have used Techmod sheets before then you will probably not need telling, but if you are new to them -

The decals tend to be very thin and conform extremely well, but can be fragile and also are prone to 'grabbing' where they are first applied. They are not something you can move around with impunity once on the model.

I recommend clearcoating the sheet before you use it (I use either Microscale clear decal film or Halfords gloss clear aerosol lacquer)

And put a LOT of water under each decal, because you need to get the position right while it is floating on a film of water. Once it touches the surface it is likely to stick hard.

Thanks for the reminder. I've used their 1/72 scale Wellington decals in the past and I have a couple of their generic markings sheets. They do need to be handled with care but look pretty good once in place - provided you avoid the pitfalls!

John

Ah, well, as someone who has used them before you will probably get away without the clearcoating.

I agree they are very good when they're on, but for people whose only experience has been kit decals they can be a bit scary until you get the hang of them.

I hadn't realised that the "clipped" wing tips were included in this kit. If there is one thing I like more than a Spitfire, it's a clipped wing Spitfire :)

• Like 1

Received mine yesterday, i am very impressed, i am a Spitfire maniac and love all Airfix kits they have released of this wonderful aircraft in 1/48 , with all the options and the lovely moulding its a real winner to me,

I do have the Hasegawa etc kits , but there is ''something'' i cant put my finger on that gives the Airfix kits an edge , maybe the other kits look clinical ? i dunno i just love the ''feel'' and look of the Airfix kit

Must buy more, will buy more !!

If you are interested in Spits do yourself a favour buy a half dozen ! and if you don't like them p.m me and i'll give you my address so you can forward them to me !!