1/72 - EE Lightning F.1/2 & F.3 by Sword Models - released

Homebee

In September Sword (http://www.swordmodels.cz/) is to release new tool EE Lightning F.1/2 & F.3 kits - ref.72081 & 72082

Source: http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68170&start=4890

BAC/EE Lightning F.1/2 - ref.72081

TWO decals versions:

F.1 - 74 Sq. RAF - XM137/D

F.2 - 92 Sq. RAF - XN768/S

Colored PE parts for cockpit interiors and details PUR parts of ejecton seat and jet exhaust

Sources:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SW72081

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/bac-lightning-f12-sw72081-sword-859297772081-scale-modelling/product/?shopid=LM53c056b10982364d72a2bdddd0&action=prodinfo&parent_id=212&art=122811

122811_0.jpg

BAC/EE Lightning F.3 - ref.72082

Two decals versions:

F.3 - 111 Sq. RAF - XP740/J

F.3 - 56 Sq. RAF - XR719/D

Colored PE parts for cockpit interiors and details. PUR parts of ejecton seat and jet exhaust

Sources:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SW72082

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/bac-lightning-f3-sw72082-sword-859297772082-scale-modelling/product/?shopid=LM53c056b10982364d72a2bdddd0&action=prodinfo&parent_id=212&art=122812

122812_0.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Error spotted already. In the top post an option is 76 squadron is being quoted...Hmmmm This should be 74!!!!!

Correction OK.

Thanks Paul.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Whilst I'm very grateful to Sword for doing this (I really, really am), but, why the bluddy hell did Airfix not realise that this is what the public want?

Rant over, really pleased to see these, just hope they go together better than their T-33!

Wez

Looks like 74 and 56 Squadrons to me. Are you sure the heat isn't getting to you, Paul?

And hopefully this will shut a few people up moaning that Airfix aren't doing one.

No it won't, see above!

Fact of the matter is that an Airfix kit of said version would go together easier for the majority of modellers!

Surely the fact that there's an Alley Cat conversion and now these Sword kits should convince Airfix there's a requirement and a public willing to part with quids, cash, monies for these versions of the Lightning?

Wez

• Like 2

I really, really, really must resist these seeing that I have two Airfix F2A's with Alley Cat conversions in the pile. But oh, that 56 squadron boxart.... :wub:

And I just bought the ModelDecal 56 Squadron decal sheet to go with my Airfix F2A plus Alley Cat conversion set...

Ah, what the heck - buy the Sword anyway. I mean, come on - Lightnings are the coolest machines ever built by man. Shouldn't we have as many Lightning models in our collections as possible? I'm pretty sure that's what the Reverend advised last Sunday. Key to Heaven and all that. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Can we not be just thankful that we can all have the F.1/F.1A/F.2/F.2A/F.3/T.4/T.5/F.6 in our collections now if we want? To say nothing of the export variants (including the T.55 if you can source one). And Airfix can now put their effort into bringing out something else on our wishlists.

• Like 2

Can we not be just thankful that we can all have the F.1/F.1A/F.2/F.2A/F.3/T.4/T.5/F.6 in our collections now if we want? To say nothing of the export variants (including the T.55 if you can source one). And Airfix can now put their effort into bringing out something else on our wishlists.

No,

I've struggled with a couple of Sword kits (P-47N and T-33, they look lovely but do require some considerable effort to get anything near an acceptable result - I seldom have time to do any modelling and when I do I don't want it to be a struggle. I suspect many other modellers have had similar experiences and certainly any neophyte modeller is going to be disappointed and potentially put off! I know there are modellers out there who get great results with Sword kits and hats off to them for doing so - but they're not me.

I'd be far happier with a mainstream produced kit which is less likely to be a struggle, for a subject like the Lightning I'd rather be passing my hard earned onto Airfix.

Finally, if we should be grateful for there being kits of the F.1A, F.2, F.2A, F.3 and F.6 and that Airfix should concentrate on something else then there was no point to either Airfix or Sword producing their Lightnings as Trumpeter already had that covered.

Wez

So Sword shouldn't bring any models out at all then? :wall:

If you don't have much time to do modelling, go and collect Corgi Aviation Archive models instead. Or do what the rest of us do and be prepared to put the work in. Yes, I would like all the kits I make to be shake and bake, but it ain't going to happen. There is a good mainstream Lightning now available, which modellers have been screaming out for for years. So it's not an early variant. Well, boo hoo. I want an early Hunter but all I ever got was the F.6/FGA.9, so I worked with what I had.

This thread is turning into a model making equivalent of a page for spoiled little princesses.

No,

I've struggled with a couple of Sword kits (P-47N and T-33, they look lovely but do require some considerable effort to get anything near an acceptable result - I seldom have time to do any modelling and when I do I don't want it to be a struggle. I suspect many other modellers have had similar experiences and certainly any neophyte modeller is going to be disappointed and potentially put off! I know there are modellers out there who get great results with Sword kits and hats off to them for doing so - but they're not me.

I'd be far happier with a mainstream produced kit which is less likely to be a struggle, for a subject like the Lightning I'd rather be passing my hard earned onto Airfix.

Finally, if we should be grateful for there being kits of the F.1A, F.2, F.2A, F.3 and F.6 and that Airfix should concentrate on something else then there was no point to either Airfix or Sword producing their Lightnings as Trumpeter already had that covered.

Wez

I had no major issues with the Sword Spitfire Vc, PR IV or Re2001. Yes they took a bit more effort than an Airfix or Tamiya kit but nothing that caused any hassle. I'm sure some of the other Sword kits might take more effort but I've not got round to building them yet!

thanks

Mike

So Sword shouldn't bring any models out at all then? :wall:

If you don't have much time to do modelling, go and collect Corgi Aviation Archive models instead. Or do what the rest of us do and be prepared to put the work in. Yes, I would like all the kits I make to be shake and bake, but it ain't going to happen. There is a good mainstream Lightning now available, which modellers have been screaming out for for years. So it's not an early variant. Well, boo hoo. I want an early Hunter but all I ever got was the F.6/FGA.9, so I worked with what I had.

This thread is turning into a model making equivalent of a page for spoiled little princesses.

I never said that Sword shouldn't bring out any models and I definitely didn't say they shouldn't bring out a Lightning, I merely said I would prefer an Airfix lightning.

I am prepared to put the work in to get my early Lightning, and intend doing so for the STGB with the Alley Cat conversion. I am happy with the Airfix F.2A, I will be happy with the F.6, I never said I wasn't, I would be happier still if they bring out an F.1/1A/2/3 but you seem to be suggesting that myself and others should now stop hoping that Airfix will do these variants, I don't understand why, after all, the Sword kits make no money for Airfix, I'm sure that if Airfix did do these versions they'd sell very well indeed.

As for early Hunters, yep been down that route too, doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy if Airfix (or Revell for that matter), brought out an F.4, until then I'll keep on working with what there is, it won't stop me wishing though.

We all have our modelling wishlists - you're no different to me in that respect.

As for collecting die-casts there's no fun in that for me, all I said was I don't have much time and don't want every moment to be a battle - that's not too much to ask for is it?

As for being a spoiled little princess, well I'm not little and I don't think my ugly fizzog would be improved by wearing a frock or a tiara! :sick: If they made a glass slipper it would have to be bullet proof glass and size 11!

Just remember this hobby is horses for courses, as a model shop proprietor I'd expect you to know how fickle we modellers are.

Wez

I sincerely hope someone at Sword reads all this because what I'd like to add re the Lightning kits is that I REALLY hope they address the lack of a 'foothold' for the nose leg!!!!!!!!!!!! The T4/5 kit doesn't have one AT ALL!!! I fitted mine as best I could where it touched. The leg has a pin/ lug that is suppoesed to fit a 'hole' in the nose bay to help secure the nose leg but the 'hole'/ base for it BUT just isn't there!!!!

If Airfix don't bring out a 1/72 Supermarine Scimitar soon, I am going to scream and scream and scream until I'm sick!!

So there.

• Like 2

If Airfix don't bring out a 1/48th Supermarine Scimitar soon, I am going to scream and scream and scream but not until I'm sick! :P

Anyway. Sources:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SW72081

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SW72082

Source: http://swordmodels.cz/en/coming-soon/96-sw72081-lightning-f12.html

SW72081.jpg

sw72081-lightning-f12.jpg

SW72081_2.jpg

SW72081_3.jpg

Source:http://swordmodels.cz/en/coming-soon/97-sw72082-lightning-f3.html

SW72082.jpg

sw72082-lightning-f3.jpg

sw72082-lightning-f3.jpg

sw72082-lightning-f3.jpg

sw72082-lightning-f3.jpg

sw72082-lightning-f3.jpg

SW72082_2.jpg

SW72082_3.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

and all of the modellers some of the time.

Not a chance!! The only way that would happen is if a kit was produced of every possible subject, in every possible scale at exactly the same point in time...otherwise someone would be bound to moan about something. Now Sword, why is there no 23 squadron decal option in the F3 kit....???!!! :D

• Like 1