Yugoslav Hawker Fury

Mitch K

At some point I'm going to build a biplane and I fancy doing a 1/72nd scale Yugoslav Hawker Fury.

I've read several writeups of the A-Model product and I have to say I don't fancy it much, so I'm planning on converting the Revell/Matchbox kit.

I'm aware of the (general) differences between the RAF etc Fury I and the Yugoslav Fury II (landing gear, radiator, oil cooler), but I really could do with a decent plan showing these. Can anyone suggest a source? Several lunchtimes Googling have come up with lots of photos (OK, lots of versions of the same photos :lol: ) and lots of art from kits/decal manufacturers, but no plans I can crib actual measurements/angles from.

Several sources describe the Fury II's cantilever U/C as being "...like the Gloster Gladiator..." Based on (initial) inspection of the sources I have it's VERY like. Can anyone confirm/deny that you could use a set of Gladiator U/C for this build?

Many thanks in advance,

M

I'm not quite sure if the Yugoslav Fury was among them, but Alf Granger drew a number of Fury variations and relatives (e.g. Danish Nimrod) for Wings/Wingspan magazine. I'm sure I have seen a scale drawing of it, but it could also have been in SMI or AvNews.

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure if the Yugoslav Fury was among them, but Alf Granger drew a number of Fury variations and relatives (e.g. Danish Nimrod) for Wings/Wingspan magazine. I'm sure I have seen a scale drawing of it, but it could also have been in SMI or AvNews.

Thanks Tempestfan. I had rather assumed that AvNews and all the data in it had gone the way of the wind decades back, and unless you happened to have it yourself in a box somewhere it was unobtainable. I'll have another dig based on this.

Quick edit: were these the ones that gained a repution for being pulled out of shape by the vagaries of the printing process?

Edited by Mitch K

It was in Planes magazine,early 1983 I think.I no longer have a copy so I can't help any more than that.

Planes was ultimately absorbed by Wingspan.

• Like 1

I've found someone who's selling a copy of SMI with Hawker Fury stuff in it. I might give this a pop. I've snagged a copy of "Silver Wings" from a mate, and it has some lovely plans in it. Just not of the ones I want! :lol:

Dekno used to make a conversion with hispano suiza nose,radiator and cantilever u/c legs.had one up to recently,but the u/c legs were shattered so i binned it!

I'll look into this - cheers!

Try Mushroom's Hawker Fury book for details. I used the Matchbox Gladiator u/c legs on mine. Note that the Matchbox Fury Yugoslav decal colours are too light.

I used Gladiator undercarriage legs on a Spanish Fury converted from the Matchbox kit - they look fine.

I'm seeing a pattern here :lol: Looks like you chaps have given me a plan! I'll get this going when I manage to dig out my old round tuit!

Hello Mitch,

I used these plans available at Airwar.ru in my Amodel Yugoslav Fury Build.

http://airwar.ru/other/draw/hawkerfuryaiv.html

One option to depict a Yugoslav Fury is in its prewar scheme, with NMF metal parts and silver-painted canvas surfaces.

I tried to replicate this with MM Chrome silver (which was then buffed) on the engine and simple silver paint everywhere else.

http://bmk.ipmssrbija.com/?p=1740

Regards,

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 1

Hello Mitch,

I used these plans available at Airwar.ru in my Amodel Yugoslav Fury Build.

http://airwar.ru/other/draw/hawkerfuryaiv.html

One option to depict a Yugoslav Fury is in its prewar scheme, with itc NMF metal parts and silver-painted canvas surfaces.

I tried to replicate this with MM Chrome silver (which was then buffed) on the engine and simple silver paint everywhere else.

http://bmk.ipmssrbija.com/?p=1740

Regards,

Aleksandar

Cheers Aleksandar, I'll certainly look at those plans!

I was after building one of the camoflaged ones that lasted into the German invasion. In a small way I'd like to try to commemorate the incredible courage of those guys that took their Furies up against state of the art planes like the Bf-109 and the like.

Edited by Mitch K

• 3 weeks later...

The landing gear is Dowty internally sprung wheels mounted on cantilever struts, similar to Gloster Gladiator ones.

Few pics and drawings for your reference.

Thank you very much! I just wish I could hit "like" more than once!

• Like 1

The caption from Flight states "Kestrel XVI" - how many batches did Yugoslavia take ? I recall seeing photos of the radiator bath for the Hispano which was distinctly different of those for Kestrels - I think the frontal view may actually show one.

Mitch, most AvNews will be obtainable with a bit of searching. Back in the days before the net, I always popped into the AvBook Shop (then still in Holloway Rd.), their stocks were varying, but they always had some interesting back issues.

Royal Yugoslav Air Force acquired Fury biplanes in few batches,

3 Hawker Yugoslav Fury MK.I ( delivered July 1931.), two with Kestrel IIs and one with Hispano Suiza HS12Nb, in 1933. re-engined with Kestrel IIs.

10 Hawker built Yugoslav Fury MK.II , Kestrel IIs (delivered early1937.)

24 Ikarus(license) built Fury MK.II , Kestrel IIs (delivered 1937/38.)

16 ZMAJ (license) built Fury MK.II , Kestrel IIs (delivered 1937/38.)

Sole Hispano powered Yugoslav Mk.I Fury, flew just two years with HS12NB engine and was sent to UK,in 1933, to be re-engined with Kestrel IIs engine.

Despite having 650 HP , vs Kestrels some 500HP and was on paper more powerful , Kestrel engine was supercharged and gives better power to Fury.

3eZkp1q.jpg

Hawker Hispano Yugoslav Fury MK.I 1932, photo collection Milan Micevski

Edited by Supercuber

Thanks for the info, I was under the impression that the majority of Yugoslav Furies had the Hispano, but that is obviously wrong. I certainly have an imaged stored (of a Hispano-engined one) in my mind that has a much sleeker cowling than that in your pic, which looks a bit like a nose of an NiD 622 stuck onto it.

Lift Here Decals - a Serbian company produced decals for the Yugo Fury - see:

http://lifthereserbia.50webs.com/712-LH.htm

Although they are listed as OOP at the moment they do have a tradition of reprinting sheets - or you may find a distributor who still has them in stock.

Kora do a couple of sets, too. My first go around with their stuff worked pretty well, so I might go down that route again. What I've seen of Lift Here stuff looks very good indeed.