Moebius Orion III space clipper

Hi all,

Here are some pictures of my Pan Am Space Clipper from the Moebius kit. Lots of work done, but I think it turned out pretty well. An extra shout out to Marty Hobkirk, Ian Gazeley, Kevin Foss, and others who have worked long and hard to amass and share the data that we can use to do the subject justice. Thank you kindly, gents!

Finiupperltrear_zps80937a2d.jpg

Finiupperleft2_zps12c23d9b.jpg

Finibottom_zps2a3f424c.jpg

And finally, a beauty shot...

Finiinblack2_zps7d604733.jpg

Cheers, Jim

• Like 11

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses!

Rene- I am working up a build article, but I take so long that I generally do not do the Work In Progress entries as I build. So more will come a little later.

Chris- I used some of the Paragrafix set, mainly on the outside. I found some nice plastic model railroad figures that I really liked in "N" scale, which the railroad modellers tell me is 1/160 scale. That was important, since the model seems to scale out to 1/160 based on the available information, expert analysis, and my own Mk I eyeball. Result- the figures were too big for the PE seats and too small for the JAI resin seat set. I scratchbuilt my own interior, both the passenger cabin and the cockpit, among a number of other additions. A simple kit that turns into a project five minutes after you start dry fitting parts!

HTH, Jim

Jim, having built this kit myself I know it doesn't come with the Pan-Am markings. Did you use the aftermarket ones produced by Comet Miniatures? I'm considering sending for them but I'm not sure if they would be the right size.

Hi Gordon,

Actually, I used the TSDS decals for the Pan Am lettering. They are the right height to my eye, but a bit too close together when you compare them to the film model pictures. They are also (in this case at least) not the best examples of the decal maker's art; they wanted to stick at the first placement and were difficult to move around. They also took more than usual to get them to snuggle down. I am not familiar with the Comet decals, but it sounds like they should work fine; I would think that Comet would be willing to give you a measurement if you asked them.

HTH, Jim

Further note: The blue Pan Am "world" symbols came from a fellow modeler, and were sized to 3/4" for printing. This is slightly larger than the ones found of the TSDS sheet, and were printed in a slightly darker blue than most sheets (matches the shade of blue in use by Pan Am into the early sixties; they went lighter in the mid-'60's I think).

Edited by Jim Kiker

Thanks, Jim. The Comet sheet actually consists of two sets of decals, one each for the Airfix and Aurora versions of the kit - which implies that they are different sizes! I'll contact them - whatever they're called these days - and see what they say.

Hi all, i bought a set of decals from the states as after market pan am markings specifically fo the moebius kit, unfortunately no longer available, but just found this, see link

http://www.tsdsinc.com/index_files/2001.htm

decals cover glazing and require backlighting, also options for other operators.

Hi Gordon,

Interesting about the Comet decals. If my memory serves, the Airfix kit is physically a bit bigger than the old Aurora kit was. As you may know, the Moebius kit is based closely to the Aurora kit, so I would assume (but would verify) that the "Aurora" decals should fit the Moebius kit very well.

HTH, Jim

Hi all, i bought a set of decals from the states as after market pan am markings specifically fo the moebius kit, unfortunately no longer available, but just found this, see link

http://www.tsdsinc.com/index_files/2001.htm

decals cover glazing and require backlighting, also options for other operators.

Thanks for that - shame they're no longer available. I note that the text specifically says they will only fit the Moebius version and not any other...

Hi Gordon,

Interesting about the Comet decals. If my memory serves, the Airfix kit is physically a bit bigger than the old Aurora kit was. As you may know, the Moebius kit is based closely to the Aurora kit, so I would assume (but would verify) that the "Aurora" decals should fit the Moebius kit very well.

HTH, Jim

I've built all three in the past but never had two at the same time to do a comparison. I did know that the Moebius version was based on the Aurora kit (thank God they left out the fictitious engines) so hopefully the Comet decals would fit - though see my reply to whitestar above.

Unfortunately the Comet website has vanished since the shop closed and I can't remember what name the guy is now trading under!

(Edit) Ha - found it!

http://www.timeless-hobbies.com/2001---a-space-odyssey.html

Reply from Tony at Timeless Hobbies - he says the decals will fit the Mobius kit. I've sent for a set.

That wasn't strictly true - I hadn't yet sent for them when I posted that, though I did so immediately afterwards. But I was a bit taken aback by the cost - £6 for the decals themselves seems a little steep but not excessively so. But THREE QUID for postage? How the h*** are these things being sent to me? Personal delivery by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood themselves? Seems to me that an envelope and a second-class stamp would do the trick just fine...

Yeah, baby! Hope you share some pics when you get to work on her!

Cheers, Jim

Oh, the model was built long ago - here's the Ready for Inspection thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926861-moebius-space-clipper/?hl=orion

However I'm sure you'll agree that it looks unfinished without the Pan-Am markings - though I could live with it until I saw your photos! :chair:

Hi Gordon,

Whoops, my mistake; I hadn't put 2 and 2 together... in any event, nice work mate! And while it's understandable, I will agree with your latest assessment. She does indeed look better with the markings complete! So perhaps we'll have an updated picture after you've had a go with the Pan Am markings!

Cheers, Jim

Hi Will,

In a manner of speaking, I cheated! To be specific, I chose to scribe the whole vehicle instead of using the kit-supplied decals. I was careful to use a straight pin in a vice to start the panel lines, then deepened them with my .005" razor saws. During painting, I only added a wash to the main flight control lines on the wings and to the moved/rescribed entry door on the right side of the fuselage. All the rest of the panel lines are just the cut-in lines with nothing in them. We only see the shadows created by the fine lines. For this piece, it worked out well but it's a real pain to do it!

HTH, Jim

• Like 1

Not so much cheating as going the extra mile - I think that was effort well-spent but it doesn't look like an easy shape to scribe. Thanks for the explanation!