AWACS aircraft

kev67

Where I live in Chesham I normally see normal commercial aircraft over head at various heights as I live near where they stack the aircraft for Heathrow airport, but today at about 5.30-6pm I noticed a low flying AWACS aircraft, has anyone got any idea about this, as I have never seen one of these aircraft before in the air with its distinctive disk on the back

It flew over here in North Herts about half hour ago. Last Saturday late afternoon it was flying into Luton with flaps and wheels down then about 15 mins later it did it again. Touch and go's??

Then a few weeks ago I saw it climbing out of Luton as I was going up the M1.

So not sure why it seems to like Luton. Unless Luton airport are using it to target and identify drivers who don't use the £2 a go set down area and drop people off on the approach roundabout! It's a bit of one upmanship to the bloke who sits in his van and takes pictures of number plates before he sends you a fine!

I've seen the aircraft several times over the last few weeks flying over and around Stevenage seemingly en route to Luton (see What's Flying Over Your House) - tonight one appeared to take off eastwards from Luton and then turn due north over the Stevenage north A1 junction - going back home to Waddington?

I originally thought the first had gone unserviceable...but I hope they are more reliable than requiring frequent visits!!