Mustang Mk.III 316 Squadron serial number help

RussG

Hi,

I am in the process of researching a model of a Mustang Mk.III from 316 Squadron April 1945. The model I want to build is for Mustang III SZ-M Serial ??841.

Unfortunately the ORB for 316 only gives the last 3 numbers and I can't find the prefix letters anywhere. Could anyone help me to find the complete serial?

This is of course if I can get a hold of a Revell 1/72 mk.III!

Thanks in advance,

Russ

I picked one up off Flea bay the other week, but I needed to go Flea Bay International rather than UK only. There were a lot in the German site (all for reasonable postage) and a good few in the US.

The Academy one is a more accurate kit - has a few issues, but so does the Revell one!

Could you briefly outline the inaccuracies in both kits please. I wasn't aware there was any issues with he Revell but I know the Academy one has a problematic canopy...

In fact, three of the Revell 1/72 P-51 Mustang Mk III RAF versions on E-Bay UK at the moment.

I found one... Wish they were available in mainstream model shops!

Ben

Revell - The wing leading edge extension is wrong - it starts too far out on the wing (P-51D location), so is too shallow

I'm not so sure about this, I know for definite the Hasegawa P-51B has the same wing root LE extension as the D and is definitely wrong. I have the Revell built in front of me on my work bench shelf and looks fine, maybe a bit shallow though certainly better in that respect to the Hase kit. The Revell one has worse canopy fit issues and is very 'bottle bottom thick' than the Academy one and the wheel hubs are a bit vague though. I still have a couple Revell unbuilt for future builds.

I'm not so sure about this, I know for definite the Hasegawa P-51B has the same wing root LE extension as the D and is definitely wrong. I have the Revell built in front of me on my work bench shelf and looks fine, maybe a bit shallow though certainly better in that respect to the Hase kit. The Revell one has worse canopy fit issues and is very 'bottle bottom thick' than the Academy one and the wheel hubs are a bit vague though. I still have a couple Revell unbuilt for future builds.

The Hasegawa one isn't the same as a D - it starts at the right point on the wing, but goes to the same location on the fuselage as the D, so is too angled. The errors on both kits are the opposite of each other! I did a side by side on all three kits years ago, when the Academy first came out. I may still have it.

Isn't the Monogram one still the best 1/72 P-51B?

Shape wise yes.

As a kit it's :shit: .

The Mini Masterpieces :rofl: boxing I built circa 1989 looked as it had been molded in cheese (all surfaces pitted),

had more flash than David Bowie did when he was Ziggy Stardust, all major parts were wrapped... :rolleyes:

Isn't the Monogram one still the best 1/72 P-51B?

There was a posting on the Monogram P-51B awhile back, which of course I now can’t find! If anyone knows it perhaps they could be so good as to post a link.

Firstly the kit dates from the 60’s so isn’t up to modern standards: for example there are raised panel lines, no interior detail etc. That said, and based partly on my memory of the above review, and also my own examination:

- The worst feature is the upper nose which slopes down too much. As a result, the spinner is too small in diameter and this is part-moulded with the propeller.

- There is no ‘roof’ to the upper part of the air intake duct behind the spinner. I can’t help mentioning that, 50 years, later the RS P-51H has the same fault! Correction is, well, trickey.

- The wing guns are represented by holes in the leading edges: nothing more.

- The ‘spokes on the side of the main wheels are a poor representation: raised rather than recessed.

- A feature rather than a fault are the wing pylons which are moulded integrally.

- Again a ‘feature’ there’s a hole in the wing underside to receive the 2 part stand.

- The main u/c legs lack ‘calipers’.

- The exhausts are integrally moulded but do in fact look reasonably convincing.

- The fuselage wall behind the seat is carried inwards to the radio (behind the pilot).

There may be a few more but in my opinion the undiscerning could, with some added work, make a reasonable representation.

Though I have from time to time thought of ‘giving it a go’, AZ have now announced they will be producing a complete range of P-51B/C including several varieties of 2 seaters. I’ll wait for then.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the upper roundels of a Mustang Mk.III from 316 Squadron in April 1945, would the roundel would be a Type C or a Type C1 with the yellow border? Type C seems to be favourite based on other Polish Mustang units.

Thanks again,

Russ

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the upper roundels of a Mustang Mk.III from 316 Squadron in April 1945, would the roundel would be a Type C or a Type C1 with the yellow border? Type C seems to be favourite based on other Polish Mustang units.

Thanks again,

Russ

40 inch Type C for ADGB/Fighter Command Mustang III/IV, post-1 January 1945 and Type C1 for 2nd TAF on the Continent.

HTH,

Brent Erickson

Edited by BrentCE

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just one more quick question re the drop tanks, would they have been medium sea grey or aluminium. Photographs appear to show them as aluminium but its difficult to be sure??

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Hi,

Unfortunately I am having to change the aircraft due to the 'M' not being correct in the Xtradecal range, so I want to revert to Mustang III SZ-N Serial ??846.

Again, I am hoping someone could help me to find the complete serial?

Thanks in advance,

Russ