Tiger Moth options for fans with bottomless pockets?

Graham Boak

Hannant's new releases include a superb range of parts and transfers from Kora for the Airfix Tiger Moth. Many different markings, with resin wheels, floats, rudder, fuselages and even a choice of slatless and Australian wings - though I'd have thought the conversion was easy enough. Ed? The wings will presumably work with the slightly less accurate AZ kit too.

I thought that the Queen Bee had straight sides - maybe this is mentioned in the instructions?

I've no link to either company, just impressed by the choice.

• Like 1

Wow, I have one kit earmarked for a Queen Bee, need to have a look. It did have a DH60 fuselage, so straight sides. Wonder what the difference between the two sets is - just decals?

The Aussie wings had a hard leading edge without ribs back to the front spar, so perhaps some would find it easier to spend on resin ones rather than sand off

Curious about the 'Late' fuselage - Airfix provide the strake insert.

Also, anyone know what is allegedly wrong with the rudder?

Edited by Dave Fleming

Interesting list of stuff there but not one set for converting the Airfix or AZ kits to the Canadian variant with its different struts, engine, trim tabs on elevators, different cockpit coaming for the covered over versions in Canada, skis, fairings for the cables from the tail end to the fuselage down by the cockpit... and decals!!

Pavla did all this for one of their releases and which I built for the Trainer GB, but its not around much and having a set to mod the Airfix kit would be nice!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Regarding the Kora Queen Bee conversion sets sold by Hannants, is anyone able to tell me the difference, (other than the code number), between:

Description: de Havilland DH.82B Tiger Moth Queen Bee flying target - Royal Navy Conversion set & decal (designed to be used with Airfix, Pavla Models and AZ Model kits)

Manufacturer: Kora

Code Number: KORCS7237

Scale: 1:72 Scale

Item type: Aircraft conversions (resin)

Price: £13.50

and

Description: de Havilland DH.82B Tiger Moth Queen Bee flying target - Royal Navy Conversion set & decal (designed to be used with Airfix, Pavla Models and AZ Model kits)

Manufacturer: Kora

Code Number: KORCS7238

Scale: 1:72 Scale

Item type: Aircraft conversions (resin)

Price: £13.50

?

I hope so.

I think the only differences in the two Kora Queen Bee sets are the decals. I've only got one of the sets and as it specifically refers to camouflaged aircraft I'm making an assumption here.

The instructions tell you to flatten the fuselage sides but they don't mention modifying the fuel tank which I thought was bigger than the DH-82A.

The conversion set contains a generator and its propeller, cockpit plugs, floats, beaching wheels and float struts. It's fine if you're building a QB with floats but if you're doing a wheeled QB the rest of the modifications are simple enough to do yourself.