Academy 1/72 Mustang III HB837 617 Sqn

Hammasphee

So I'm having a go at the Academy 1/72 P-51B (along with the Eduard PE set), and using the 617 Sqn Xtradecals set that I bought for my Lanc to make Wing Commader Cheshire's Mustang III that he flew as a pathfinder with the squadron - and also doubled as a taxi for other squardon pilots after he departed. First, the requisite box and sprue shots...

01Box_zps9c331563.jpg

02Sprues_zps5944f36f.jpg

Hope to make a reasonable start this week as I'm having a quiet one, even have a day off on Thursday - whoop!

Thanks Les.

Managed to finish the internals this morning. This is my first time working with such a PE set (only nightfighter aerials before) - eek, they're fiddly in this scale! Particularly had difficulty with the foot pedals not behaving; as you can see they are not exactly straight, and then the left one fell out as I closed it all up. Crap.

03Cockpit01_zpsb1ed18e0.jpg

04Cockpit02_zps99f0a6c1.jpg

Got a fair chunk done today. Have to say, this is a lovely kit to build that virtually falls together; not much filler will be required, although rather inevitably it is the wing joints that needs the most.

05BasicTopside_zps888689ea.jpg

06BasicUnderside_zpsaf17619f.jpg

• Like 1

nice job, it's looking great! PE is always lots of fun to play with and either falls out when it shouldn't like yours. Or when you cut it off it flies away to be eaten by the carpet monster!!!

You have made cracking progress, look forward to seeing the finished beasty.

Barrelling on with this at a pace that is taking me by surprise. Construction is done, and all is primed ready for the paint job.

Edit: forgot to say, thanks the kind words people, much appreciated.

07Primed_zps40fa6f56.jpg

Edited by Hammasphee

The wee girl is coming along nicely now; finished the camo and the other little bits to get the primary finish completed. Next up are the D-Day stripes, and then onto the decals. Undercarriage doors are currently just blu-tac'd in to allow for the correct alignment of the bands, but she will eventually we a wheel-down job.

08Camo_zps7d6db9e4.jpg

• Like 1

Having a few problems with the decals at the moment; the Academy kit is lovely, but the decals far less so - the surrounding clear film is far too large, the colour too thin, and they won't settle comfortably despite reapplying decal fix a couple of times. Might have to get myself a sheet of generic roundals to replace them.

• 2 weeks later...

After the awful kit roundels were removed, finally got some replacements from Hannants and on the kit yesterday. Also had a go at painting the Wing Commander pennent under the cockpit - possibly a little big, and a touch messy, but reasonably happy with the result.

10Roundels_zpse66bfab8.jpg

11Pennent_zps057bbc9e.jpg

12Underside_zps082c4d9b.jpg

So very nearly finished - just the glazing to edge and attach, plus a bit of washing and weathering. Might even get it done tonight!

Edited by Hammasphee
  • Like 2

And we are done! I had a little trouble with the canopy as the fuselage was slightly too wide with the extra PE parts inside the cockpit. Also had issues with washes not adhereing to the finer panel lines, and eventually gave up with that and settled for a nice dirty, rain-streaked finish.

13Finished01_zps88cd84f4.jpg

14Finished02_zps1e3ce7a6.jpg

15Finished03_zpsc4d18b24.jpg

16Finished04_zps659adf1d.jpg

17FInished05_zps0fe71dec.jpg

• Like 4

Good to hear, i often find out i forgot to add something or did something wrong when i m looking on the pics i make (sometimes its already too late to fix it.. ). And i know the U/C legs can be pain sometimes, so its great you could fix it without too many troubles :)

• 2 years later...

Great build - researching my own 617 Sqn project - torn between the Academy or Revell Mustang III.

What decals did you buy to replace ? Hannants sets seem to be separate roundel types?